Amish Bread - Starter bag

littleclover

Mouseketeer
Hello all - I am looking for the basic recipe for the Amish (cinnamon) bread. I made this once before when someone gave me a bag but am unsure how to make a starter bag? I have a couple of friends who frequently ask me so I would love to have this info typed up and stored in my recipe book rather than my computer (which crashed)

Maybe the Amish cursed your computer and made it crash because you used technology to type up their recipe.

I don't remember the whole recipe but I do remember the first few steps.
  1. Get a sheep
  2. Shear sheep
  3. Create thread from sheep wool
  4. Weave thread into fabric
  5. Sew fabric into bag shape
  6. Get together with all the other Amish guys and raise a barn
  7. Make bread
  8. Put bread in bag
  9. Take buggy and donkey to the meadow to see Amish Ballet
  10. Yell, "Ye Go Thee Girl!"
That's all I can remember. But I did find a photo from the ballet.
amish_250.jpg
Yeah there's nothing quite like raising a barn while dancing in tights to make you forget all about electricity.

Jeff

As someone who lives not far from the Amish and respects their choices in their religion, I will try to overlook Jeff's infantile response.

Now, to answer your question...

Amish Friendship Bread Starter:

INGREDIENTS:

* 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
* 1/4 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
* 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
* 3 cups white sugar, divided
* 3 cups milk

DIRECTIONS:

1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Let stand 10 minutes. In a 2 quart container glass, plastic or ceramic container, combine 1 cup flour and 1 cup sugar. Mix thoroughly or flour will lump when milk is added. Slowly stir in 1 cup milk and dissolved yeast mixture. Cover loosely and let stand until bubbly. Consider this day 1 of the 10 day cycle. Leave loosely covered at room temperature.
2. On days 2 thru 4; stir starter with a spoon. Day 5; stir in 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk. Days 6 thru 9; stir only.
3. Day 10; stir in 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk. Remove 1 cup to make your first bread, give 2 cups to friends along with this recipe, and your favorite Amish Bread recipe. Store the remaining 1 cup starter in a container in the refrigerator, or begin the 10 day process over again (beginning with step 2).

Amish Friendship Bread:

INGREDIENTS:

* 1 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter
* 2/3 cup vegetable oil
* 3 eggs
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 cup white sugar
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease 2 (9x5 inch) loaf pans.
2. In a large bowl, combine the Amish bread starter with oil, eggs, 2 cups flour, 1 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Mix well. Pour into prepared loaf pans.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes.

Sorry you found AZ Jazzy J's remark bothersome Graygables. As a long time follower of his posts I understand that he has an offbeat sense of humor. He was not trying to be offensive I'm sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter