American T-shirt Sizes

Duckiedee

Every Day is Better at Disney
Hi there.

I'm trying to order some Disney tank tops from Walmart/Kohl's/Target etc...

I'm not sure I understand the difference in size between women's and junior.

At first I thought Junior might be teen sizes - but the models look like women and some of the Juniors go up to 2X! Plus of course they also offer GIRLS sizes! So confusing!

If you based a size on an average women's large Disney shirt... what would that equate to in Junior sizing.

Technically Juniors are teen sizes. Kinda. They are cut a little trimmer. I tend to wear Junior tops because the cut works better for my frame. Sometimes women's means they're cut larger but not in all stores. It's really hard without trying them on because every manufacture cuts things differently. Typically if you're going to buy Juniors you would want to go a size up from regular (sometimes called Misses). If you want a regular fit, look for Misses, if you want a little trimmer fit, juniors, a more generous fit, womans. In some stores there's Junior Plus. There should be sizing charts to click on that will give you measurements by inches. I probably haven't helped at all but for me, if I wear a medium in Misses, a large in Juniors will typically work.

Juniors shirts have a slimmer fit than women's - particularly in the bust and arms. If you are a women's size large, you can probably get into a Juniors xl, but it likely won't be flattering or particularly comfortable.

I agree with wenrob. Juniors sizes tend to be a size smaller. So if you are a large in women's then I would get an XL. I don't know why they don't have more standardization for sizes to make buying clothes easier.

I don't know why they don't have more standardization for sizes to make buying clothes easier.
It's because our bodies aren't standardized. My best friend and I are roughly the same size, but we're built very differently. I'm bustier and she's less so. I wear women's and she wears junior's. If every shirt was the same, either I would always look like a stuffed sausage or my friend's shirts would always look baggy and shapeless.

Also the trend right now is baggy shirts. I suppose it's supposed to be "swingy" or "flowing" but all I know is I look and feel like a slob in them. I cannot find a normal cut top anywhere, even in the workout clothes, it's making me a little crazy.

It's because our bodies aren't standardized. My best friend and I are roughly the same size, but we're built very differently. I'm bustier and she's less so. I wear women's and she wears junior's.
What's funny is I'm busty and prefer Junior tops because they snug in at the torso (I have a small torso and no shoulders) where regular womans or misses tend to hang straight down. If I can find Misses Petites (I'm short) they're almost perfect though.

Also the trend right now is baggy shirts. I suppose it's supposed to be "swingy" or "flowing" but all I know is I look and feel like a slob in them. I cannot find a normal cut top anywhere, even in the workout clothes, it's making me a little crazy.
Ugh I feel the same way! Makes me feel frumpy!

If you're shopping online from those stores, each item's page should have a link to its size chart

If you are a more petite woman, you may be able to pull of Junior sizes but I would buy one size up from what you normally wear.

Junior sizes will run up to 2xl but that's because the style is a little "younger" usually and there are teen girls that need those sizes.

Juniors sizes that have numbers will be the odd number. Some say it is similar to the misses one size up but I find it to really be the size down. So if you see a shirt that says 1/2 or 3/4 or 5/6 the odd number is the Juniors size and the even number is the misses size. Usually I have to go up a size when things are labeled that way. Both sizes can come in the fitted cut which is the hour glass some are describing or the box cut which is the straight cut. I prefer the straight cut but honestly have been buying men's shirts more recently as the box cut is too frumpy for me and the fitted cut is uncomfortable. I'm a medium in most things but the fitted I have to go up to a large or I feel like you can see every little bump.

I'm 28 and still have to wear junior sized jeans because of the fit. I have a very short torso and women's sizes and even petites and misses just don't fit me right (usually the zipper part goes wayyyy too low so if I wanted it to fit right I'd be wearing my jeans wayy past my belly button (and we're talking like a really really really bad "mom jean" situation).

As for tops I wear juniors and women's depending on the type of top and the brand as many brands differ in how they fit.

For dresses I fit mostly in women's sizes.

As far as tank tops goes--at Walmart I buy juniors tank top (brand of Faded Glory)..but at JCP I buy women's tank tops (most that I own were the St. John's Bay brand). I have a few juniors tank tops (brand Mossimo) from Target though I have only shopped there for clothes a handful of times.

As you can see I'm all over the place when it comes to sizing. Unless I've bought something before and know exactly how it fits I just can't bring myself to buy it online. That's me personally. I would as others have mentioned look into the sizing chart (if included) and I would probably measure myself before buying them. I'm not sure about Khol's, Walmart, or Target but I do know that Amazon has a "Fits as Expected" spot just underneath the price on a decent number of their clothing items. That helps determine too if they are more true to size or if you need to adjust what size you buy.

I'm 28 and still have to wear junior sized jeans because of the fit. I have a very short torso and women's sizes and even petites and misses just don't fit me right (usually the zipper part goes wayyyy too low so if I wanted it to fit right I'd be wearing my jeans wayy past my belly button (and we're talking like a really really really bad "mom jean" situation).

In women's you want to look for Short like size 10Short. This indicates a short torso but keeps the length in the pant legs still unlike a petite size which has a short torso and shorter leg length. I learned this from working at Kohl's Off Isle.

As for tops I wear juniors and women's depending on the type of top and the brand as many brands differ in how they fit.

For dresses I fit mostly in women's sizes.

As far as tank tops goes--at Walmart I buy juniors tank top (brand of Faded Glory)..but at JCP I buy women's tank tops (most that I own were the St. John's Bay brand). I have a few juniors tank tops (brand Mossimo) from Target though I have only shopped there for clothes a handful of times.

As you can see I'm all over the place when it comes to sizing. Unless I've bought something before and know exactly how it fits I just can't bring myself to buy it online. That's me personally. I would as others have mentioned look into the sizing chart (if included) and I would probably measure myself before buying them. I'm not sure about Khol's, Walmart, or Target but I do know that Amazon has a "Fits as Expected" spot just underneath the price on a decent number of their clothing items. That helps determine too if they are more true to size or if you need to adjust what size you buy.

Then you add to all the above the two different brands will fit VERY different. I find it impossible to order clothes online because of this. Heck, I ordered two pairs of the same style jeans online and they fit like they were two different sizes.

for the most part, Juniors clothing is sized smaller and slimmer for teens. They don't allow for too many curves.
Womens sizes are cut a bit larger.
The only disney t-shirts I have are the women's cut (not the regulary box style that a man would wear too) I would def size up if I were to buy it in say Kohl's junior's dept.
Honestly, at 44, I walk passed the Kohl's junior section. The styles would make it look like I am wearing my daughters clothing (if I had one). So, I just purchase my tees and tanks from the womens dept. (although if just shopping for tanks, you wouldn't "see" a difference...just sizing)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter