American Idol and "I Told You So. . . ."

we like the show. we are big idol fans though - GO ADAM!! we went to 2 shows last trip and then the finale show. when we arrive in less than 2 weeks, we are making a special trip to DHS to watch the finale show. it is very entertaining!
mousiemom

The audience expectations are the same as for any other live show at the parks. Sometimes, you go to see B&B and the place is packed; other times, you can wander in seconds before showtime and get great center seats. Go to a later show of Finding Nemo at DAK and it's long lines and long waits; go to the first show of the day and CMs are practically "hawking" to get people inside. AIE is no different. If the park's not crowded, the show won't be. If the park is packed, the show will have good crowds.

The people who think AIE was a mistake will always harp on seats not being filled, but will never notice that there are empty seats at Mermaid or PHD too. Folks who think that a show that isn't full PROVES that it was a big mistake, should watch the fluxuation at FOTLK or Indiana Jones over the course of a week. Any show on property can be made to look "unpopular" if you want it to.

My suggestion -- if you don't like AIE, don't go. But don't hope for the show's demise just because it's not your cup of tea. Part of the appeal of WDW is that there is a wide variety of entertainment -- something for everyone. I happen to think Wishes is way too talky and corny for a fireworks show, and would never list it on my "must sees". But all that really means is that someone else gets my spot on Main Street while I'm off at Epcot watching IllumiNations for the gazillionth time!

:earsboy:

That's what "Who Wants to be a Millionaire --Play It!" was all about, too -- riding the coat tails of a TV show. And The Great Movie Ride is all about riding the coat tails of famous films. I think that's what Hollywood Studios is all about -- Twilight Zone Tower of Terror makes people think of the TV show "The Twilight Zone"; Muppet Vision -- Muppet TV show, etc. The majority of attractions at DHS are based on either TV or movies.

-Dorothy (LadyZolt)

You're right.... but the difference is, with the exception of "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" (now shuttered), the other tv shows were not currently on air; they were classics.

I can't stand the TV show, the only reason I even sat through the AIE attraction was because the wife wanted to. We did it two weeks ago (the finale end of day show). They had to make no announcements to get people in; the place seemed fairly full as it was.

The judges were the usual caricatures of Randy, Paula, and Simon (and the show suffered for it). "Simon" was a bit harsher than the other two, but still tempered for Disney. I didn't see the point- people watch the show to see Simon tell the unvarnished truth, and that's the one thing you're guaranteed NOT to get at Disney. You'll have hand wringing people complaining about how he destroyed the "magic" or whatever that is supposed to mean. They'd have been better off with three completely different judges, but I guess they wanted to ape the show.

The set design was quite good- they went the extra mile to make it seem like the show.

Yet, the way they tried to work the crowd before the final show left me feeling even more blase about it- yes, I know they were trying to work folks into an excited frenzy and I am most certainly not the target for it, but it ended up making me like it even less.

I suppose some folks like it (my wife enjoyed it), but I'd rather have my feet nailed to the floor in It's a Small World for a week rather than sit through it again.

Just what people want, people without talent being judged and embarassed. Good job Disney ! :thumbsup:

Maybe it just has not been filling up lately because its not peak season? I went two sundays ago, and HS was empty as it was, but the Idol show still filled up fairly well.

When I first went, I thought it was going to be stupid and fixed. I don't like the television show, so I thought I would not like this. The first show I did watch, I hated. It consisted of "older" people, not too old, just WAY older than American Idol age, I am talking late thirties, early forties. My mom convinced me to see the next show as well, since like I said it was empty, and we had done everything already. This show consisted of two college age girls, and a 14 year old boy. I absolutly loved it. These people could actually SING unlike the show I saw previously.

I think it is hit or miss. Sometimes you can get people that can perform and sing, other times not so much. As for the Judge who plays Simon, yeah he can be harsh. But I found his comments to be not criticising of their voices, but just being harsh, to be harsh if that makes sense? It was more of a joke I think than actual critique.

we were there last week and they had some guy out front as were were all waiting for the gates to open yelling "anyone 14yrs and over who wants to be apart of the AIE come and see me...if you make it thru we will get you FP's for the day"...he was going up to people asking them if they were interested and asking people if they had considered it for the day etc...

i don't know if this is what they normally do, but he was out there for a good half hour or so and stayed out there even after the gates were open...

I hope it stays open long enough so that I can win in September ;) :p

My suggestion -- if you don't like AIE, don't go. But don't hope for the show's demise just because it's not your cup of tea. Part of the appeal of WDW is that there is a wide variety of entertainment -- something for everyone. I happen to think Wishes is way too talky and corny for a fireworks show, and would never list it on my "must sees". But all that really means is that someone else gets my spot on Main Street while I'm off at Epcot watching IllumiNations for the gazillionth time!

:earsboy:

I couldn't have said it better myself. If you don't like the TV show, what makes you honestly think you'd like the attraction? Just don't go - do something else you do enjoy. But don't think it's a total waste of time for people who do want to experience it or even audition for it.

Just what people want, people without talent being judged and embarassed. Good job Disney ! :thumbsup:

:confused3
Two of the people I saw were seriously fantastic to the point that I thought they had to be Disney "plants". The other person was very good, just not as brilliant as the other two. And this is coming from the person who didn't even have this on my plan for the day. We just happened to be walking by and I thought my Mom would enjoy it. I had zero interest in it, but it won me over.

I disagree with the contestants not having talent and then being embarressed. At least 2 of our contestants mentioned they planned on trying out for the show on the day they were at HS, so it was not random for them at least. We were there about a week ago. There were 3 female contestants and one was a 14 yo from Canada and she was pretty good. The other 2 were very very good! I am not a big AI fan, havent been for a few years now but I really enjoyed the show! I did like the guy at the beginning getting the audience excited and cheering. I guess this is just a part of what the AI "Experience" is all about. Our show as well, was not full. The crowd was really into the show it seemed to me. I enjoyed the show way more than I thought I would. I really went just because that was the prime reason my husband agreed to HS on a day it was 97 degrees lol He does watch AI ( on another tv!) and I don't. We both liked the show equally and had a fun time. This is just like anything else, some people like it and some don't.

We went the end of April and really enjoyed it. It was the first showing of the day and was nearly full. I would have really liked to have seen the finale that night but it was our last day there and had to catch a flight.

Two of the three contestants that day were really good.

:confused3
Two of the people I saw were seriously fantastic to the point that I thought they had to be Disney "plants". The other person was very good, just not as brilliant as the other two. And this is coming from the person who didn't even have this on my plan for the day. We just happened to be walking by and I thought my Mom would enjoy it. I had zero interest in it, but it won me over.
Really? You saw TWO great people! That's great, really. Now how many other people preformed that day? How many people auditioned? The ratio of people coming out feeling great to people feeling like crap is 1:100000 (over exasperating, but you get the point). It was a bad idea in the long run.

I think the AI the experience is great,but I would definitely make a change to the format by adding another contestant or two to the early shows as I think most people realize the best show is the last one which has about 6-7 contestants all having won their earlier shows.With the early shows just having 3 singers it makes those shows a bit lame since you just have 3 people to see and choose from.In my visits to this attraction the shows have been full and I was shut out of seeing the last show one time.I would prefer having one less scheduled show a day and adding 1-2 more contestants for the earlier shows.

I was at the AI attraction yesterday. There was a young girl who was a musical theater major that had a really great voice. There was also an older lady that came out there and I thought she was wonderful!! She looked so scared to be out there and then Simon told her that she didn't do a good job. I literally felt bad for that woman all day. I just wanted to give her a hug and tell her she did good!! She didn't win - the younger girl did. But anyway, just saying that I agree that it is a little harsh.

Bring back WWTBAM! :sad: I used to see this show three times a day. I can barely stand watching the Idol Experience ONCE.

Was at HS a few weeks ago, I was the only one of my friends to audition, Im a seasoned karaoke performer.

I didnt make it through the first audition.

I wasnt nervous until it was time to sing. I thought I did well for being petrified.

Heres what she said to me, she asked if I had voice lessons before. I said yes. She said she really liked the sound quality and vibrato of my voice, but that my voice sounded too 'theater' and 'Broadway' for American Idol, as they were looking for a pop star.

I was disappointed, but didnt feel 'bad'. lol

I was just unsure if that was what they said to people who are terrible, or if she really meant it. It was fun though.

I didnt see anyone posting audition stories, so maybe that satisfies someones curiosity.

i am so not at all interested in this attraction...i just walked right by it the last time we visited DHS

Sounds to me like nothing more than glorified karaoke--.
I think it'll do well while the novelty lasts, but I don't see it having much staying power.

Glad for those who like that sort of thing but for me--still wishing thay had put something GOOD where that attraction is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter