• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

American Girl

cristbaby

DIS Cast Member<br><font color=green>I'll be going
My DGD really wants one of these American Girl Dolls for Christmas. It is the only thing that was on her Christmas list this year. I have decided to get her one but I don't have a clue as to which one. If you were going to start buying these dolls for a collection which one would you start with? TIA for any help you can give me.

Does she want a historical or a Just like me doll? How old is she?

My dd9 is getting Kit for Christmas. She is the historical from the 30's. My dd4 is getting a Just Like You doll that looks like her. They are all cute. I think that for a younger girl I would maybe get one of the JLY dolls. The historicals have great books that go along with them, but they are probably a 2nd grade reading level at the youngest.

She is eight years old and just getting into reading chapter books. The historical ones sound good for that age.

I definately think that the historical dolls are the neatest ones! If she is a girly girl she might like the Felicity doll. She is a colonial times and her best friend is Elizabeth. Their collections have the prettiest things I think.

Felicity has a movie about her. Molly was the most recent movie. She is from the 1940's. Samantha is from 1904 and she is the other doll that was featured in a movie.

Each year for the last 3 years they have released a movie about one of the historical girls and that girl got a best friend. One of those might be a good choice because you can add the most to those collections. There is a rumor that Kit is the next movie, but I don't think anyone knows for sure.

My dd looks the most like Kit and she likes her stories about how brave she is in the face of the depresion. I think that I would just choose the one that you think your grandaughter will enjoy the stories about the most.

I absolutely loved my Molly doll. And Kit.

My grandma had Samantha.

Yeah. When I was younger, our dolls would always "talk" to eachother over the phone.

I say go with Molly!

Have you gone to www.americangirl.com to look at all the different dolls? Choose which doll most closely matches the time period DGD might be interested in. Personally, I want Kirsten. I loved the Little House on the Prairie books/show, so if I were buying for myself that's what I'd get. DD11 is getting Jess this year. She has Samantha and Nelly, too. I am so thrilled that she still wants dolls for Christmas! That means I can play too! :rotfl:

I would go to the American Girl site and read the description of the girls. Figure out which one fits her the best and get that one, along with teh first book. I personally love the Kirsten doll, but then again, that is my name.

How old is DGD? If she wants one to play with -- you can get one that matches your DGD's features. Or an historical one that means something for your family history.

AG can be a big commitment -- there's so much to them now.

If you're starting a collection -- that's a whole different thing (save the box, etc.). Or get one to play with, and the same one to save without it being played with.

I always loved Molly because I found her books the most interesing and she looked the most like me. (this was before JLM dolls) I also really loved Felicity's books. But most of my friends had Samantha cause she was one of the "prettier" of the dolls("the rich girl").

It'd probably be easier to see which books she was most interested in.

My DD 6 started getting into these last year. She got A JLY one for Christmas from Santa last year and a Samantha for her birthday right after (and also a trip to AG place Chicago for her bday). This year for Xmas, she wants Molly (which silly Santa helper waited until this weekend to order, so had to pay for upgraded shipping).

Anyway, we started reading all the "meet" stories back when DD first turned about 5. She really loved getting to know the "girls". She now reads really well so has read pretty much all 6 books for all the girls. She really loves certain personalities and that is guiding which dolls are next on the list. Samantha's sweet, kind and fun nature really fit DD well as a first AG doll.

Now, Molly's funny spunk is a good fit.
DD really likes Kit as well, who seems to have a great humorous nature.
DD loves the Addy stories and those seem to have inspired the most talk around our table.

Felicity was only an interest to DD when the movie was out.
Josephina has not been of much interest to DD.
Kaya seemed to far in the past to DD.

Just a word of advice, if you haven't already ordered one, chances are it won't be her for Christmas unless you pay the expedited shipping which is HUGELY expensive. Look online now and see if you can still get one by Christmas.

This is what my DD wants from Santa and I gave her a catalog and told her that if she could pick anyone which one would she want? She took it upstairs and looked and looked and I saw the next day that she circled the Samantha doll - so that is what Santa is bringing :santa:

My older dd has the JLY doll. Which she picked out and has blond hair and blue eyes just like her. My 3.5 yr old DD wants an AG doll pretty bad. I think she is too young. So both girls are getting the mini dolls - little one is getting Molly and big one is getting Kit.

Expedited shipping is $15, and you can still order for Christmas. Santa is bringing DD7 Molly (she already has a Just Like Me and a Bitty Baby), and, on Saturday, we ordered Molly's school desk and chair, plus her Christmas dress.

DD7 is interested in Molly because of the movie. If your daughter has no specific interest, I would go with a Just Like Me doll, because you can name them and give them the life and personality you want.

Depends on where you live...this weekend, I paid $25 for expedited shipping to WA state.

There is a $10 off code for the Molly DVD (which DD is also getting from Santa). It's 10 off 30: 151676 (So I figured that made the shipping less).

The original three dolls from when they started 20 years ago are: Sam, Molly and Kirsten.

Jess is a limited edition doll. She won't be available after this year.

You may want to keep that in mind, in case she becomes a collector.

My DD wants Molly so bad it hurts, LOL. she will be getting Molly with her friend Emily from Santa, and I can't wait!

We have Samantha and Nellie, lots of clothes and accessories, and two school deks. The girls are not too terribly interested in them, but they play with them sometimes. I think they might have liked the Bitty Babies better, because they love to play with their baby dolls. Maybe they will enjoy them more once they get a little older.

Denae

cristbaby said:
My DGD really wants one of these American Girl Dolls for Christmas. It is the only thing that was on her Christmas list this year. I have decided to get her one but I don't have a clue as to which one. If you were going to start buying these dolls for a collection which one would you start with? TIA for any help you can give me.
My DD loved the American Girl dolls! I would get her one made to look like her. :thumbsup2

MY DD started collecting them at 7 and she is now 14 and still loves them. My mom and I are also fans and between us we have all of them. My DD started with Josephina but her favorites now are Kit and Molly - she shares Molly with her grandmother. Such a neat thing for them to share! Have fun. Elizabeth and Samantha have beautiful clothes. A freind of ours little DD is 9 and her favorite is kit followed by Molly. Hope that helps! Have fun! These are such wonderful dolls and the books etc that go along are wondrful as well.

cristbaby said:

Why not give her a catalog and go through it with her. Ask her which ones she likes the best and watch her face........ you will know which one is best and you both will have a good memory.:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter