/American Girl on QVC - 9/11 from 4-6 pm EST

I checked out the QVC website on Saturday and was sooo tempted but resisted!

DD is getting her first doll for her 5th birthday. Could you all tell me what type of accessories are good to start with? Is an outfit or two good? Or what about a piece of furniture (a bed, maybe)?

What did you do when your DD got her first doll?

P.S. Sadly, we don't live close to an AG store so taking DD to a store isn't an option right now. Must rely on the catalog and website.

I checked out the QVC website on Saturday and was sooo tempted but resisted!

DD is getting her first doll for her 5th birthday. Could you all tell me what type of accessories are good to start with? Is an outfit or two good? Or what about a piece of furniture (a bed, maybe)?

What did you do when your DD got her first doll?

P.S. Sadly, we don't live close to an AG store so taking DD to a store isn't an option right now. Must rely on the catalog and website.

Which doll is she getting? The doll hairbrush is a must, and I think a pair of jammies for the doll to change into at nightime is always nice. Has your daughter looked at the catalogue? Has she mentioned anything specific from it? My daughters' love too pour over the catalogue and write their Christmas wish lists from that :)

For furniture, the doll's table and chair set with the food accessories seem to get the most play here but a doll bed is nice too! So many great choices. My oldest got her first 18 inch AG doll at age 5 too! :cutie:

MMCH - DD is getting the Kaya doll.

When she looks thru the catalog she always says she wants the little stuffed animals or the clothes that fit the dolls & girls. DD is just turning 5, so I am not sure the clothes would fit her (might be too big) plus they are expensive!

I will take a closer look at Kaya's pets - DD LOVES Pepper the dog so maybe we will go in that direction.

I will also look at see if there are any PJ sets that might fit DD and get the matching for Kaya. DD loves Julie's pink pj's.

Thanks for the tip on the hairbrush - I would never have thought of that! I will order her one of those too!

MMCH - DD is getting the Kaya doll.

When she looks thru the catalog she always says she wants the little stuffed animals or the clothes that fit the dolls & girls. DD is just turning 5, so I am not sure the clothes would fit her (might be too big) plus they are expensive!

I will also look at see if there are any PJ sets that might fit DD and get the matching for Kaya. DD loves Julie's pink pj's.
The smallest size that the matching girl-doll outfits for the 18" dolls comes in is a 7.

There is a brand called Dollie & Me that makes matching dresses for girls & 18" dolls, I've seen them at places like Sears & Kohls. I'm not sure what size they start at, but it might be an option if the AG clothes are too big for your DD.

Or what about a piece of furniture (a bed, maybe)?

Target has some furniture for their My Generation dolls that work well for the AG dolls which is much cheaper. Some of it is a bit junky (think particle board), but some of it is great - I got my daughter the iron daybed. That was worth every penny and more! We also have the hair salon chair. That one we had to add a bungy cord to keep the dolls in the chair but otherwise it's been fine - for a fraction of what AG wanted for the same idea, "the girls" (as we call my daughter's dolls) can live with the bungy cord. :laughing:

We also got a canopy bed through WalMart (online). It's particle board, so not really high quality, but since it doesn't take much abuse it's been fine. My daughter loves the canopy part.

We've also found several used AG pieces at flea markets for good prices (my daughter picked up Samantha's desk for $10 a few weeks ago), along with other furniture like a wrought iron set of chairs that aren't AG but are sized perfectly for the dolls.

I know this is kind of an odd request, but could someone tell me the dimensions of the AG doll boxes. DD could not decide which doll she really wanted when we were watching the show on Saturday, so I decided to hold off and wait and see what she decides when we go to the new store in Kansas next month. My mom will be with me, so I will be able to go back and buy it without her, but I want to bring an extra bag or something to put it in so she doesn't see it in the back of the Tahoe.:goodvibes

Not the OP but maybe she likes to play with baby dolls:confused3. One of my kids liked baby dolls at 10 & I assure you she is perfectly normal.

DD is 10 and if she will ask for a doll to play w/be it a baby doll Barbie doll AG doll I will jump at the chance to buy it for her. Young girls are asked to grow up to quickly these days.

DD has asked for Marisol (had to buy her on Ebay)Marisol and he camper. I'm debating on buying the camper. Have been waiting for free shipping. But as other have pointed out what's aother $25. when you are spending $300. :confused3

I know this is kind of an odd request, but could someone tell me the dimensions of the AG doll boxes. DD could not decide which doll she really wanted when we were watching the show on Saturday, so I decided to hold off and wait and see what she decides when we go to the new store in Kansas next month. My mom will be with me, so I will be able to go back and buy it without her, but I want to bring an extra bag or something to put it in so she doesn't see it in the back of the Tahoe.:goodvibes
They fit the dolls pretty snugly, so I'd say a bag big enough for a 20" long box would do it. Your DD is going to be so surprised!

Regarding the 10-year-old who likes baby dolls... I still remember the Christmas I was 10 or 11, I asked for a baby doll (a Magic Nursery baby, anyone else remember those?). I got one from "Santa" & took her with me to our big family Christmas gathering. One of my aunts made a comment to my mom, which I overheard, that wasn't I a little old for baby dolls. That hurt my feelings because I loved my new doll, but my mom defended me. :)

So to the PP who's DD likes baby dolls, let her decide her own interests & don't let anyone make her feel bad about them.

DD is 10 and if she will ask for a doll to play w/be it a baby doll Barbie doll AG doll I will jump at the chance to buy it for her. Young girls are asked to grow up to quickly these days.

DD has asked for Marisol (had to buy her on Ebay)Marisol and he camper. I'm debating on buying the camper. Have been waiting for free shipping. But as other have pointed out what's aother $25. when you are spending $300. :confused3

Just wondering....how much is Marisol going for on ebay these days? Just curious because I bought her "whole world" off of ebay 1/09 for $450. I think that was a pretty good deal then as other people on ebay were selling there sets for more. :confused3

Just wondering....how much is Marisol going for on ebay these days? Just curious because I bought her "whole world" off of ebay 1/09 for $450. I think that was a pretty good deal then as other people on ebay were selling there sets for more. :confused3

I bought her during the summer slump. I paid a $117. for Marisol and hwe accs. She is in mint condition except she has braces. Wich is ok because DD is due to get braces this yr. I think $450 for her whole collection is pretty good. I've been wanting her trunk but the most I will pay is $100. I've have been outbidded many times.

The girls who are getting the camper for Christmas will love it!

My daughter got it for her 4th birthday along with Lanie and her animals. SO CUTE! I'm thinking about Kit's Treehouse for this year.

Lanie most likely will be dd's last american girl doll. She will be 11 in Feb. I didnt start buying her AG dolls until she was 8 and could read the books. I didnt think prior to that they were very age appropriate. She has taken very good care of her dolls and enjoys reading all of the books.

I bought her during the summer slump. I paid a $117. for Marisol and hwe accs. She is in mint condition except she has braces. Wich is ok because DD is due to get braces this yr. I think $450 for her whole collection is pretty good. I've been wanting her trunk but the most I will pay is $100. I've have been outbidded many times.

Yes, individually it is hard to stick to what you are willing to pay for something and not be outbidded. I was tired of being outbidded on Marisol's stuff too. So I found a lady on ebay who told me she had Marisol's whole world collection, but she hadn't put it up on ebay yet. So she set up a private listing just for me @ $450.....everything brand new in boxes. She is one of our favorite dolls, as my daughter is a competitive dancer herself. In regards to the braces, we bought a used doll with braces from someone this year. The lady told us they were permanently stuck, but I looked online for tips on how to remove them. I can't remember what my daughter and I tried, but it worked like a charm. I think we used tape....I'll have to ask her in the am how we did it. Good to know in case you ever want them off.;)

The girls who are getting the camper for Christmas will love it!

My daughter got it for her 4th birthday along with Lanie and her animals. SO CUTE! I'm thinking about Kit's Treehouse for this year.

Wow, I don't think we'd have room for both the camper and the treehouse in our house. I saw the treehouse when we visited the NY store and it was even bigger than I imagined. I assume the camper is a good size too. You must have lots of space. I know my daughter would love both, but we just have no room. :)

I ordered Lanie for my dd on Saturday but I am now having serious buyer's remorse. I think I'm going to end up returning it. She has Julie but I don't think she plays with her enough to justify another doll. So Lanie will have to go back to QVC. I think it was that flex-pay that sucked me in.

Does anyone know if americangirl.com had Cyber Monday deals last year?

Yes, they had some really good deals last year. :)

Do you happen to remember just how good they were? I am trying to figure out if I should just give my daughter a "IOU"type card thingee for her AG dolls if the deals are good enough to wait it out! I would order them, she just wouldn't have them to open up on Christmas, so I would have to get creative! If I order on Cyber Monday there is NO WAY we will get it in time for Christmas. We are stationed in Germany and apparently you have to have it shipped by 01 NOV. or you probably won't get it in time! So that puts me in a little pickle!

Do you happen to remember just how good they were? I am trying to figure out if I should just give my daughter a "IOU"type card thingee for her AG dolls if the deals are good enough to wait it out! I would order them, she just wouldn't have them to open up on Christmas, so I would have to get creative! If I order on Cyber Monday there is NO WAY we will get it in time for Christmas. We are stationed in Germany and apparently you have to have it shipped by 01 NOV. or you probably won't get it in time! So that puts me in a little pickle!

Are you looking for a doll? There weren't deals on dolls but some accessories and clothing. Like I got the Bitty Baby kitchen set with two outfits for about $40. I think it was about half price.

The Cyber Monday deals were very good last year but I don't recall if it was a certain percentage off everything or different amounts off of different items. There were lots of things to choose from but I don't think everything was on sale and I don't remember there being any dolls included. I ordered some things that day but didn't get everything I wanted. Things were selling out VERY quickly and their website was so overwhelmed that it went down a few times. Took forever (and several tries) to get an order to go thru. After all was said and done, I wasn't sure if the money I saved was really worth all the hassle. Furthermore, I believe there were some items that sold out and were not available again till after Christmas. So if there is anything you just gotta have, I'd order it soon anyway - just for the peace of mind.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter