• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

American Girl- Excited and Frustrated

Friend of a Mouse

Braille: To touch words and have them touch you ba
I was browsing the American Girl shop at Oak Park and noticed that they now have hearing aids and guide dogs for accessories! I am very excited as the only dolls I have found that have these up until this point are very unrealistic and ugly. I am excited that my students have dolls they can identify with, and in a brand that is mainstreamed. You can even find it at the actual store!

Now on to the frustration. I wouldn't mind getting one for my classroom for imaginative play, however the hearing aids will obviously only work with an AG doll. I tried going on to eBay t o find one to see if I could get one for cheaper than they have them. It didn't matter how many different searches I tried, I had to wade through page after page of accessories when all I want is to find a decent bargain on a doll. I finally gave up. I even tried clicking on a related search labelled "dolls only". You would think they would make it easier to find what you are looking for.

My district had a special education fund that we received each year (had to remember to ask for it, though) that we could use to buy things like this. Any chance that your district is the same way?

II already get a lot more for my new classroom than I ever go for my old with all of our special equipment and braille supplies. I even got them to agree to some special field trips to address expanded core curriculum. I'm pretty sure I'd shoot myself in the foot if I told them I wanted an American Girl doll. But thank you for the suggestion.

I'm just happy that a very well liked and mainstream company is finally carrying these accessories. It's so important to me that my students be able to find things they can identify with. Now, if they would only add the white cane to their collection, it would be even better!

What about your local Craigslist for a doll? :)

Definitely check out thrift stores in your area- I know people who have gotten AG dolls for under $5 there. I know with the hearing aid, though, it requires a special hole be made behind the ear, so that it stays on properly. I know AG does this, but I don't know how much it would cost. If you can find a cheap doll, you could always see how well it stays on without it, though.

Definitely check out thrift stores in your area- I know people who have gotten AG dolls for under $5 there. I know with the hearing aid, though, it requires a special hole be made behind the ear, so that it stays on properly. I know AG does this, but I don't know how much it would cost. If you can find a cheap doll, you could always see how well it stays on without it, though.

time to get out an awl and make a hole. A tin punch would work too (I peirced a few dolls ears once)

I have some dummy hearing aids that I can send you. If they fit specific dolls or not, I'm not sure but you're welcome to have them :)

I second the Craigslist idea. I've seen them for $60! I was tempted to buy it, but DH would have a fit if we added a 5th doll!

I love that they have that set as well as others. DD had to get headgear for her braces this summer and she bought the headgear set for her doll too. They were them at bedtime together. It's so cute and connects them more than they were before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter