• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

American Girl Dolls Resale - How much?

Happy Mom2

DIS Veteran
Earlier this year, DH found two American Girl dolls for sale on Craig's list. We bought them, and DD has not seen them, but I don't think DD will like them. They both have bangs (DD doesn't), brown eyes (DD's are blue) and short hair (DD has long hair). She wants one that looks like her. Anyway, we got the two dolls, 5 outfits, a puppy dog, and dog house (soft, made of fabric).

I'd like to sell the two dolls, one of the outfits (a ski suit with shoes, gloves and hat), puppy, and dog house. They are in good condition, but they aren't one of the special year dolls. I want to buy DD a new American Girl doll that she's picked out in the magazine.

I have someone who wants to buy them, but I have no idea how much to ask for them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

TIA (My lunch break is almost over so I'll check back later.)

I know this doesn't answer your question, but if she really wants a doll that looks like her have you thought about getting a My Twinn doll? They customize them to look just like your child. I got one for my DD when she was about 3 or 4 and it looked just like her. She loved it!

Earlier this year, DH found two American Girl dolls for sale on Craig's list. We bought them, and DD has not seen them, but I don't think DD will like them. They both have bangs (DD doesn't), brown eyes (DD's are blue) and short hair (DD has long hair). She wants one that looks like her. Anyway, we got the two dolls, 5 outfits, a puppy dog, and dog house (soft, made of fabric).

I'd like to sell the two dolls, one of the outfits (a ski suit with shoes, gloves and hat), puppy, and dog house. They are in good condition, but they aren't one of the special year dolls. I want to buy DD a new American Girl doll that she's picked out in the magazine.

I have someone who wants to buy them, but I have no idea how much to ask for them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You have to be more specific with your questions.

What does the ski suit look like ? Is it the one they are selling now or a retired suit ? What kind of condition is it in ?

What dolls are they ? Are they historical dolls who got hair cuts or are they one of the new customizable dolls ? One of the "My American Girl" dolls ?

We need to know what the dog looks like, what condition everything is in, if you have boxes for any of it.

Also, there may be a resale shop near you. I just found out there is one about an hour from me.

I have no idea about the resale value of American Girl Doll stuff, but usually if I am wondering how much something would cost used, I start by looking at completed auctions on Ebay. It's not a foolproof perfect way to guess the value, but it might be good to give you a ballpark estimate. Be sure to look only at completed auctions, and be sure to look at ones that are used not New (or NIB -New In Box). If you can determine the correct name for the item and doll, it will help make the search on Ebay easier (check the American Girl Website to figure out exactly which dolls they are, and the name of the outfit, though that might not work if they are discontinued).

And are you sure that your DD would rather have an American Girl Doll that looks like her instead of one of the ones that has a story like the ones related to the books (like Kirsten, Molly, etc)??

Ok... I pulled everything out and reviewed the American Girl website. This is what I have...

My American Girl doll W0591 (light skin, black brown hair w/ bangs, brown eyes) looks like she's never even been played with except hair is a little messy.

My American Girl doll G1958 (light skin, short blond hair w/ bangs, blue eyes) same condition.

I looked at the tags in the clothes, and this what I have:
(I04) Ski outfit w/ pants, jacket, hat and ski glasses
(H04) khaki pants, white shirt w/ pink flower and AG stitched
(E04) Blue t-shirt w/ coconut, khaki capris, denim jacket
(F04) Red hoodie jacket w/ blue, torquiose, and pink stitching
(B05) white bloomers
(J03) purple cardigan w/ flowers on sleeves
(A04) green herringbone skirt w/ lavender trim
(A05) blue dress w/ blue sash & matching sash for hair bow
(J04) black tshirt with pink stitching American Girl 08, khaki cargo pants w/ pink camo hem

The puppy is tan, has a blue fabric dog house w/ silver paw prints on the outside, and blue stripped on the inside. (O04) It also has a puppy Tagalong 2T Tote (H04), and a dog travel case (D04).

From looking at the website, I think all of the clothes and dog stuff are discontinued. I'd like to sell the two dolls and most of the clothes. I've spent hours on ebay and am not having any luck... maybe I'm doing something wrong. I have someone who is interested in it all. How much do you think is a fair amount to ask? Oh, I don't have any boxes or packaging.

DD wants to Kanani doll, which I'm ordering tonight for her, along with some clothes.

well, what did you pay for it?
that should be about fair.

Why? If she got a great deal for them and they are worth three times what she paid, it would be smart to get the higher price for them. For a lot of people, buying and selling is their source of income. Nothing unfair about that.

well, what did you pay for it?
that should be about fair.

I bought it off of Craig's list for $100. I know it's worth more than that. I'd like $200 for it all. That would be just enough to pay for what I want to buy DD.

I bought it off of Craig's list for $100. I know it's worth more than that. I'd like $200 for it all. That would be just enough to pay for what I want to buy DD, but I'm wondering if it's worth more.

But you don't have boxes or tags, and you said that the hair has been "messed with".

Most people want the dolls in excellent condition with boxes if you are going to resale. And hair is a BIG DEAL for anyone who cares about dolls.

I'd actually have guessed about 90-100 bucks max for the whole lot, but possibly as low as 60-70 depending on the condition of the hair. Sounds like you got a pretty fair deal. These dolls are pricey anyway, so if someone is wanting to spend 200 bucks, they will just go buy the dolls themselves from American Girl and spend a bit more - and get them in the box, with the exact specifications and outfits they want.

You might be looking at more money if you had a historical doll in good condition (IE: Samantha, Kirsten) but the other dolls - eh. I'd be really really surprised if you get rid of it for more than what you paid for it. Good luck OP

Why? If she got a great deal for them and they are worth three times what she paid, it would be smart to get the higher price for them. For a lot of people, buying and selling is their source of income. Nothing unfair about that.

Because nothing irks me more than seeing something in the free section, only to see the same item listed for $200 a few days later, by a different person. There might be someone that can't afford a new doll for thier little princess that $100 would have been a great deal, but that has been snatched away by profiteers. (the same reason I hate people who buy all of the "it" toy at Christmas time only to charge scalper prices)
Also, a second sprinkling of character judgement can be added considering you want to rip off a friend. If it was someone I knew, I would be MORE inclined to say, "I got it for $100. It isn't the one that my princess wants."

Check out ebay and see what people are selling similar things for. Some dolls are worth a lot.

Because nothing irks me more than seeing something in the free section, only to see the same item listed for $200 a few days later, by a different person. There might be someone that can't afford a new doll for thier little princess that $100 would have been a great deal, but that has been snatched away by profiteers. (the same reason I hate people who buy all of the "it" toy at Christmas time only to charge scalper prices)
Also, a second sprinkling of character judgement can be added considering you want to rip off a friend. If it was someone I knew, I would be MORE inclined to say, "I got it for $100. It isn't the one that my princess wants."

I don't think she got it for free, nor does it sound like she is trying to rip off a friend. She has an item that would like to sell that she bought some time ago so that she can buy her DD what she would like.

I don't think she got it for free, nor does it sound like she is trying to rip off a friend. She has an item that would like to sell that she bought some time ago so that she can buy her DD what she would like.

If it was a friend I would say - look, I have this and I paid XX for it. But it isn't what my baby wants, so I'm trying to recoup my costs. Do you want to buy it?

If it was a friend I would say - look, I have this and I paid XX for it. But it isn't what my baby wants, so I'm trying to recoup my costs. Do you want to buy it?

Well since we don't know if it is a friend, let's not judge.

She bought it for $100, and hopes charge a friend double that amount. toe-mato, tah-mato.

But you don't have boxes or tags, and you said that the hair has been "messed with".

Most people want the dolls in excellent condition with boxes if you are going to resale. And hair is a BIG DEAL for anyone who cares about dolls.

I'd actually have guessed about 90-100 bucks max for the whole lot, but possibly as low as 60-70 depending on the condition of the hair. Sounds like you got a pretty fair deal. These dolls are pricey anyway, so if someone is wanting to spend 200 bucks, they will just go buy the dolls themselves from American Girl and spend a bit more - and get them in the box, with the exact specifications and outfits they want.

You might be looking at more money if you had a historical doll in good condition (IE: Samantha, Kirsten) but the other dolls - eh. I'd be really really surprised if you get rid of it for more than what you paid for it. Good luck OP

Thanks for your opinion. The hair is a little messy, but a quick brush would fix that. It's in good condition, but I understand it's not a historical doll nor do I have the boxes.

Wow! A little judgmental, don't you think? Not that I owe you an explanation, but when I purchased the lot, I had every intention of giving it all to DD for Christmas. DH was out of work at the time and we couldn't have afforded to get her a new doll and accessories. This was six months ago. DH has since gone back to work and DD received a doll catalog in the mail and has her heart set on the Kanani doll. Second of all, it is someone I know who wants to buy the lot. She knows exactly what I paid for it because I've already told her. She offered me $200, but told me to research it and make sure that was a fair price. She'd be happy to pay more. So no one is ripping anyone off. That's why I asked what a fair price would be.

I entered everything I want to get DD, and the total is $197 so I'm going to take the $200 for it, and call it a day.

Thanks to those who gave me your opinions without judging. It's greatly appreciated.

Sell them seperatly and you will get more if you plan to sell online. i sold mine (which are in worse condition) for 35 dollars each. For you i would say The clothing set for $10. the dog and the house are probably worth 15 dollars. the dolls anywhere from $40-50. You should probably get anywhere from $110-125.:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter