• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

American Girl Doll Help

I both loved and hated the day the new AG Doll catalog arrived each fall. ;)

Growing up I always loved the historic character dolls (I am swedish, so the now retired Kirsten was my first). I enjoyed being able to get immersed in the stories and learn about different times in History and how people lived then. The coordinated outfits and accessories that go with the doll further help teach about the differences of that time period. Now that I am older, I buy only the historic dolls for my nieces, and they too love being able to read the stories behind the dolls and the time periods. It's like they don't even realize they are learning! I just feel like it is so much more than a doll when you use the historic line, they have such great backstories!

Another adult collector here! My DD14 also collects. While she is too old for her doll we both enjoy spending time with them and will go to every American Girl store we find (we are from Canada so don't get to many). We both love our dolls!

Also the "my life" 18" dolls from Walmart can interchange with AG dolls. My DD 8 has the WalMart line and is perfectly happy for a lot less expense. She is saving up for the AG one and will value it more because she sees how much it really is!

My suggestion would be to buy the actual American Girl doll and not a knock off, unless you think that 5 is too young for a $100 doll and you will get her a real one at some point in the future. I'll never forget the time DD had her birthday at AG and one of her friends brought a generic version - the doll didn't fit in the little seat at the table and was definitely different than the other ones.

That being said, we live where there is a AG store and it is really big around here. If you live in an area where you will mostly just be ordering out of the catalog/website, it's probably not as big of an issue since less people in your area are likely to have b-day parties/visit the stores, and won't notice the differences as much.

Fun note - two of DD11's classmates, one being one her of her best friends, have modeled and been in the AG catalogs, on the website, and on the posters/placards in the stores. :)

I'm an adult collector as well but I only collect the Historical Girl line. :teeth:

I primarily collect the historical dolls, but I do have 4 GOTY dolls. I promised myself that Saige would be my last GOTY doll until they make a black GOTY. But I plan on raiding Lea's collection for Jess in 2016.

So how much can I get for my Nellie doll?

I'm not up on her current price. It does depend on her condition and if her Meet outfit is complete or not.

Another adult collector here! My DD14 also collects. While she is too old for her doll we both enjoy spending time with them and will go to every American Girl store we find (we are from Canada so don't get to many). We both love our dolls!

:yay: :hug:

Another adult collector here! :) completely agree with what sailorstitch has said, and definitely try to take advantage of the 20% off code that ends soon if you can!

:yay: :hug:

Also the "my life" 18" dolls from Walmart can interchange with AG dolls. My DD 8 has the WalMart line and is perfectly happy for a lot less expense. She is saving up for the AG one and will value it more because she sees how much it really is!

I have a few things from them too. I'm not thrilled with the quality. They did do some awesome Halloween costumes this fall. Including a fakie Elsa dress! Sadly, my local Wal-Mart never got those in. I was able to grab the pink Arabian/Jasmine costume while I was out of town. And the staining problem I mentioned with Target's line is even WORSE with Wal-Mart's line. :worried:

sailorstitch

since she is so young I would do the my generation dolls from target that way you can see how she takes care of it before you spend a lot of money. my ten year old got hers for her 6th birthday I will do the same with my five year old.

Think carefully about the doll's hair and how your child cares for their toys. The longer and curlier the hair, the more a tangled mess at that age. I would choose a doll with shorter, easy care hair for a 5 year old.

Think carefully about the doll's hair and how your child cares for their toys. The longer and curlier the hair, the more a tangled mess at that age. I would choose a doll with shorter, easy care hair for a 5 year old.

Yes, yes, yes, a 1,000 times YES! Do NOT start out with the a doll with the longest hair possible. Here's a picture I took at the Indy pop up store. These dolls are "waiting in line" at the hair salon.

Kit makes a great starter doll.

sailorstitch

I thought I was the only one here! :hug:

sailorstitch

No, you're not! :hug: I primarily collect the historical dolls too, but I have Marisol, Saige, and Isabelle as well. I promised myself that Isabelle would be the last GOTY for me for awhile (for mostly the same reason as you), but alas, Grace is on her way to me...

No, you're not! :hug: I primarily collect the historical dolls too, but I have Marisol, Saige, and Isabelle as well. I promised myself that Isabelle would be the last GOTY for me for awhile (for mostly the same reason as you), but alas, Grace is on her way to me...

Did you buy her when she was on sale for $84? I have a feeling if Lea goes on sale like that I won't be able to resist.

My GOTY dolls are Jess, Lanie, Kanani and Saige.

sailorstitch

Two of my nieces loved those when they were little!! The older one had Samantha, and younger one had Molly - selected for a mix of their time periods/personalities/looks. (I, of course, loved that they came with historical fiction books, which I've always found kids really take to.)

One thing --- once you order from them, you will get the Christmas catalog for..evvv..errrrr. I bought them books or accessories (I don't even remember) the year their grandparents bought the dolls. I still get the catalog every year, and they are 24 and 22! (But I actually enjoy seeing what they do for a new one each year!)

I live about a half hour away from where they make the dolls! There's an outlet store there.
Too bad neither of my little girls ever wanted one!

DD10 has been asking for Grace since dhe came out, thanks to the $84 sale she'll be here this weekend! Thanks to the Costco gift cards ($80 for 4 $25 cards) we'll be ordering another for DD9!

Our dolls hair doesn't look the best but thankfully not as bad as those pictured! Julie and Isabelle both have long hair that gets combed, but is still messy, while Cecil and Marie Grace's curls are, um, a bit frizzy and tangled.

DD10 has been asking for Grace since dhe came out, thanks to the $84 sale she'll be here this weekend! Thanks to the Costco gift cards ($80 for 4 $25 cards) we'll be ordering another for DD9!

Our dolls hair doesn't look the best but thankfully not as bad as those pictured! Julie and Isabelle both have long hair that gets combed, but is still messy, while Cecil and Marie Grace's curls are, um, a bit frizzy and tangled.

MY SIL got that doll for her youngest granddaughter for Christmas-her name is Grace!
She was in the flagship store and bought doll and accessories-the next day their car was broken into and luggage stolen.....and the theives MISSED the doll and accessories!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter