• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

American food etc

and was blown away to find that my breakfast had a higher sugar/sweet stuff content than theirs. Mine was just hidden, there's overt. Crazy.

I just worked out the same thing recently, that my weight watchers cereal had heaps more sugar in it that the kids corn flakes.

We are staying in a vacation rental in the block behind the Disneyland Hotel. I think there is a supermarket on Katella not far from where we are - although we have a car so shopping trips won't be too much of a problem.

I read on here somewhere that alot of the food in the US has lots of that high fructose corn syrup in it, including breakfast cereals etc.

What can I expect to find in their supermarket that is fairly much the same as we have in NZ or OZ. ie cornflakes, wheatbix (or similar).

Also are some of the same foods that we have here that are also in the US made differently, ie have the high fructose stuff in them in the US but not in the NZ version.

Another question DH wants to know, is do they sell alcohol in supermarkets, if so is it just bear and wine, or is it spirits too. And is duty free alcohol worth the hassle, or is it just as cheap in the shops there. (This is for California).

Thanks

Alcohol is so much cheaper over there in supermarkets - 750ml bottle of Jim Beam was something like $18, over here its $38, 12 pack of Coronas was like $13 they would be $26 over here! Your best bet if your wanting some to take home though is buying it duty free cause if u bought it over there you would have to pack it in your suitcase and take the risk of it being smashed.

I found everything had sugar added to it, even bread & was craving normal bread when we got home.

Thank you, this is very helpful.

Is the US fairly relaxed on food you can bring into the country ie- not like Australia and New Zealand? Would it be easy enough to bring weetbix and maybe some cornflakes etc?

We had no problem with weet bix last week when we were in transit at LAX. We declared that we had them in our luggage, along with some homemade savoury muffins, and the officer just said go on through. I am hoping that there won't be any issue when we arrive in the US On the weekend. We were able to but cornflakes that were low in sugar in Canada, so I am hoping that we won't have any problems finding some more in the US.

the only issue we had with american food is bread. they are not generally that into bread. none of the major malls have a bakery, which we find weird since every shopping centre here has at least a couple.

but alcholol is crazy cheap, and believe it or not their coke is better, if you get the original glass bottle, which is usually still only a dollar or two, not 4 or 5 like here.

From what I've experienced places like Wholefoods are definitely your best bet to try and find the healthiest alternatives.

In terms of alcohol, on my last trip we visited a store called 'Beverages and More' in Hollywood (although I believe there are loads of them around) which seemed to be like a Dan Murphey's/First Choice kinda place, and the people I was with who were buying alcohol seemed to be VERY pleased with the prices they got there, and didn't bother buying anything duty free. They also wanted to bring back some things you couldn't buy in Australia too :)

Oh my goodness 'Hershey's Cookies & Cream' Cereal (Just browsing the Walmart link!) I'm thinking I might have to join the kids in their 'holiday cereal' choices!

Much to our disappointment the raspberry M&M's that have just been released in Australia do not taste the same as the ones in the US :(

I know! I was soooo excited and then they were these small little ones with a hint of flavour. :sad2:

Thank you all. I don't mind if the kids have a few things with the HFCS in it, but I know they certainly won't need it in their breakfast cereal.

Interesting about the bread being sweet. I think I will have to take a jar of Vegemite with us.

I had a look at the walmart website and that gave me a good idea of what will be available.

it's in the coke and if you taste mexico's coke you'll see the difference. mexico uses the same stuff as we do.

there are some pics on my blog if i remember showing walmart prices on some alcohol. really cheap compared to here.

another hands up for the bread being sweet. i couldn't stomach it. i've been told that sourdough is nowhere near as sweet so we'll be looking for that next time. btw - i can taste a difference between aus vegemite and nz vegemite :)

Yes!!!:thumbsup2
Are you stalking me!!! You have my three favorite forums, disboards was my first love!

Haha! They certainly are a great resource ! Nothing like people with firsthand experience

Haha! They certainly are a great resource ! Nothing like people with firsthand experience

Agree, if I hadn't found disboards when we went to WDW for the first time, we would have been lost, it certainly helped with planning. As for building a house, that forum was invaluable:thumbsup2 and then of course learning how to fly around the world in business class, the things you learn from so many knowledgable people is amazing:goodvibes

We went to WDW last year and took in a whole packet of weet-bix for our fussy eater son. He had that for breakfast most mornings as he doesn't like things like waffles etc. we just bought a bottle of milk and kept it in the fridge. We also too packets of two minute noodles for those 'I'm still hungry moments' as you always have with boys. We are going again in December and taking a packet of weet-bix again, plastic bowl and spoon.

Another one who has brought cereal (wheatbix and DH favourite meusli) into the States as well as 2 minute noodles, package soups, plain crackers, sweet biscuits and vegemite -yeah we are a fussy lot! No problems at all - have declared them and just waved through. Once I think we got a guy had a quick look. I also liked Wholefoods, and even better, Trader Joes if there is one nearby (have only been to the one in Washington DC). We found even the bagels mostly too sweet in many places-bought sour dough bread or rolls whenever we could (eg Trader Joe's)-can't remember if we found it in Wholefoods. If we moved to the States for a long period of time think I'd have to buy a breadmaker!

For those looking for Weetabix in the US, they are sold at all the Trader Joe's stores.

Bumping this up as we leave next week...

When I go overseas I get really confused with what milk to buy, even when we go to Australia. So I suppose this is a question for the kiwis - we drink green top in our house, what is that equivalent to in the USA?

When I go overseas I get really confused with what milk to buy, even when we go to Australia. So I suppose this is a question for the kiwis - we drink green top in our house, what is that equivalent to in the USA?

We use low fat milk in NZ (green top or yellow top), and bought the cartons with 2% fat in the US

Hope you have a great trip! Have fun and safe travels. :goodvibes

If you're planning on visiting Santa Monica during your time in LA they have a farmer's market on Wednesday and Saturday. If you're driving it might be nice to get some fresh Californian fruit and veg.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter