American Airlines won't let me change my flight!

V2000

DIS Veteran
I purchase my vacation in stages to build up enough funds. I purchased my flight first.
After months of planning, I realized that I would need to add 1 more day to my WDW vacation.
The problem is once you book your flight you can't change it. Not without a costly cancellation fee. In this case the fee is the same price as the entire flight!

I would like to arrive one day earlier. Why is it so hard to change this?
Anyone have problems like this in past? Anyone get through this? Or am I stuck?

On a non-refundable ticket, it's pretty standard for all airlines to charge a change/cancellation fee. We fly JetBlue and it costs $150 each to make any changes to our flights.

That so mean that changes can't be made. They are not losing any money by changing the day. I don't mind paying a fee but they expect the fee for each guest which is the same cost of the entire flight. Bummer. I guess I can work with the days I have but I may need to leave a park out of my schedule. Either that or be very very tired.

I'm pretty sure it says something when you book. I know when I booked our flights (I rarely book flights first) there was a huge disclaimer that said these were non refundable tickets and changes would incur fees.

It is probably best to stay within the dates of your flight unless you want to pay more.

You knew (or should have known) the rules when you purchased your ticket. The rules stink, but they are clear.

Yes, you are stuck - either suck up the difference in price or stick with your current flights.

The fee for changes varies according to the type of ticket you buy. If you buy the cheapest ticket, you accept the possibility of having to pay these fees if things change.

That's why it's so important to read the rules before you buy the ticket. If you bought a non-refundable, that's what you get.

And that's why I love Southwest, who doesn't charge for changes like that.

Southwest is great. I wish that had a flight like that to Florida from California.
I know! Bummer. I knew I wouldn't cancel my flight but who knew I would want an extra day.
Even the option to purchase cancellation insurance is very costly.

Yes, you know the rules when you book. Months later something comes up or you want to make a change.
Next time I will be a better planner. Turns out we wanted to add the WWoHP in our plans. But I will make do with the time I have.

Unfortunately, this is fee is nothing new, especially with legacy airlines (Delta, United, American, etc). Why won't the airlines let you make a change for free? Easy... $$$.

That is standard for the industry. If you want a changable ticket, you pay a higher rate.

While you were doing your research, did you check other airlines?

Where are you flying from?

If you cancel outright, do they hold those funds for a later purchase or will you have to still have to pay the change fee? If they do, maybe you could cancel and rebook on SWA. Use the held funds for a later trip?

What are your dates?

Sorry, No help to you but I just changed my Southwest flight for the 3rd and last time.
Finally got a non stop flight arriving at 1:00pm…
Its the only reason I fly SW… well that and 2 free checked luggage.
Cant stand the boarding policy though

Anyone have problems like this in past? Anyone get through this? Or am I stuck?

The one thing you can hope for (if you truly do not want to pay the change fee) is that your flight has a decent time change. So if it was at 8am and it gets changed to 10am, call American and tell them it's not acceptable, and you need to change the flights. With time changes they CAN change it without a fee.

Southwest is great. I wish that had a flight like that to Florida from California.

You're in Southern California according to your info. SW flies to MCO out of LAX, SNA, BUR, and ONT. Might be useful for the future.

The one thing you can hope for (if you truly do not want to pay the change fee) is that your flight has a decent time change. So if it was at 8am and it gets changed to 10am, call American and tell them it's not acceptable, and you need to change the flights. With time changes they CAN change it without a fee.

You're in Southern California according to your info. SW flies to MCO out of LAX, SNA, BUR, and ONT. Might be useful for the future.

Got it! They do sent me flight time changes often! I will look out for this and use that tip! Thank you!

Excellent. And even if they don't email you about it, look often. We still have never had a timely update on flight time changes from ANY airline (and American was awful about it when DH was trying to fly 2 Decembers ago during the big Dallas ice storm...if we had waited for American to update us, he might still be in Dallas LOL), so you want to check on your flight.

If you get one of those time change emails, and you've checked SW and their fares are good, you could *gamble* and have American actually cancel your flight for a refund (they'll do this with a big enough time change if you deem it impossible for your plans) and then quickly book that SW flight. But it's a pretty big gamble to do this because fares can change in a heartbeat.

Southwest is the best airline, for many people, like me. NO charge to re-book, credits for price drops, and 2 free checked bags. Honestly, its the flexibility that I love most.

I like the boarding procedure, it's faster than assigned seating, people are motivated to MOVE.

That's a very smart idea. I've already had several time changes for my flights so I bet OP will get a few as well if they're far out.

If we book flights early we book flexible tickets so we can change. If we book last minute we book inflexible. Sometimes it is worth paying more to have the ability to change if you need to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter