• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

AMC® Downtown Disney 24 Dine-In Theatres

StirlingSilver83

DIS Veteran
Hello everyone. I am trying to figure out which restaurants we are going to be going to in April. We have never been here so I have a few questions about it. The day we are going to DTD is the day we are actually checking into our resort. We are going to DTD in the morning to shop prolly from 10-12, then have lunch, then head to our resort. We are going to be paying OOP for the lunch at DTD so I am trying to compare prices between here, TREX (which we have been to), Rainforest Cafe (went to the 1 in Animal Kingdom), and Planet Hollywood. Anyways it looks like this place has the best prices and has a pretty good selection of food. My question is, will it be a long wait to get into it at like 12:30ish. Also what kind of movies do they show? Do they just have 1 theatre or multiple theatres? Is it like Counter service where you go up to a cafeteria type line, get your food and then find your seat? Do they have high chairs? My younger son will only be 20 months at the time of our travel. Any other information will be awesome thanks so much!

Hello everyone. I am trying to figure out which restaurants we are going to be going to in April. We have never been here so I have a few questions about it. The day we are going to DTD is the day we are actually checking into our resort. We are going to DTD in the morning to shop prolly from 10-12, then have lunch, then head to our resort. We are going to be paying OOP for the lunch at DTD so I am trying to compare prices between here, TREX (which we have been to), Rainforest Cafe (went to the 1 in Animal Kingdom), and Planet Hollywood. Anyways it looks like this place has the best prices and has a pretty good selection of food. My question is, will it be a long wait to get into it at like 12:30ish. Also what kind of movies do they show? Do they just have 1 theatre or multiple theatres? Is it like Counter service where you go up to a cafeteria type line, get your food and then find your seat? Do they have high chairs? My younger son will only be 20 months at the time of our travel. Any other information will be awesome thanks so much!

As soon as you get to DTD, you can stop by and purchase your movie tickets. After shopping, return to the theater and the seats you selected.

It's like a Table Service restaurant with your "table" being the counter located in front of your theater seats. No high chairs because you are seated in a movie theater. It is dark in there and probably not an ideal eating situation for your young one.

If you do decide to try it, check the movie listing online a day or so before you go.

As soon as you get to DTD, you can stop by and purchase your movie tickets. After shopping, return to the theater and the seats you selected. It's like a Table Service restaurant with your "table" being the counter located in front of your theater seats. No high chairs because you are seated in a movie theater. It is dark in there and probably not an ideal eating situation for your young one. If you do decide to try it, check the movie listing online a day or so before you go.

Thanks so much for the info! Which restaurant would u choose out of trex, planet Hollywood, and rainforest cafe? Also I hear a lot of people talk about how they love the earl of sandwich place. My older son is a very picky eater do u think that place would have something he would like to eat?

Earl of Sandwich has a great selection of sandwiches, salads, and soups.

My favorite DTD restaurant is Wolfgang Puck Express which is counter service but your food is brought out to you. A great menu with everything being very good especially the Creme brûlée.

You may want to look at the Splitsville menu. There's a good variety and there are tables that are located in the dining area away from the bowling lanes. We enjoyed our meal there.

I would also recommend Wolfgang Puck Express for your family. I don't think Splitsville really sounds good for a 20 month old.
Take a look at the menus here on the DIS or at allears.net to see what is offered. We can't tell what your picky son will eat.

I would also recommend Wolfgang Puck Express for your family. I don't think Splitsville really sounds good for a 20 month old. Take a look at the menus here on the DIS or at allears.net to see what is offered. We can't tell what your picky son will eat.

Thanks so much! He is extremely picky and barely eats anything lol...when we eat out its usually either pizza, chicken nuggets, snd sometimes burgers lol. My 20 month old son though is a little more outgoing. He will try anything once lol. I will take a look at those other 2 places. I ruled out splitsville bc I didn't want to eat in a bowling alley. But if the tables are away from that, it might be worth considering. Thanks again!

Thanks so much! He is extremely picky and barely eats anything lol...when we eat out its usually either pizza, chicken nuggets, snd sometimes burgers lol. My 20 month old son though is a little more outgoing. He will try anything once lol. I will take a look at those other 2 places. I ruled out splitsville bc I didn't want to eat in a bowling alley. But if the tables are away from that, it might be worth considering. Thanks again!

Splitsville really is a regular restaurant similar to an Applebee's, Chili's, or Red Robin. The bowling lanes are on the second level so if you don't go up the escalators, you'd never know there was bowling. They have a wide-ranging menu and there is even a sushi bar - the sushi was very good!

We usually buy our movie tickets from Costco. Does the AMC in DTD accept these vouchers? THanks

Heading that way for spring break.

A few things about the Dine-In Theatre - You must be 18 to attend a movie at the Dine In Theatre. And the tickets to the movie are in addition to the food prices and are more that the price of a ticket to the regular movie theatres. For example, an adult ticket to Exodus is $14.90.

A few things about the Dine-In Theatre - You must be 18 to attend a movie at the Dine In Theatre. And the tickets to the movie are in addition to the food prices and are more that the price of a ticket to the regular movie theatres. For example, an adult ticket to Exodus is $14.90.

Did they change this? We took youngest dd and she was 6 to see Oz. We had dinner and watched the movie. She absolutely loved it.

Depends on the time of the movie for age restrictions. Under 18 must be accompanied by a guardian for the movies that have the "18+" icon. Kids under six are not permitted at all at R rated movies AFTER 6pm.
I was just there on 12/26 and had no trouble with my 13 y/o DD enjoying the Hobbit movie.

Our Ratings of AMC Theater Dine-In Service: (*rev 12/17/2014*)
. . . food price value: C
. . . food quality: C
. . . food quantity per serving: C
. . . food prep speed: C
. . . food selection: C
. . . seating quantity: B
. . . seating comfort: B
. . . eatery atmosphere: C
. . . eatery convenience: C
. . . staff friendliness: B
. . . staff attentiveness: D
. . . character interaction: n/a

Our Recommendations:
. . . appys:... Crab Rangoon
. . . entree:.. Double Decker Club Sandwich
. . . dessert:. Waffle Sundae

NOTE1: Dine-In movies have been around for a while. They haven't had much change. As
with most others. AMC at Downtown Disney does have average food quality. As a reference,
think Chili's or Applebee's for a comparison. The Wings are quite tasty, as is the Crab Rangoon
Dip. The food is slightly high priced, but one would expect this. Some may not feel it, but I
thought the waiters did disturb the viewing. They are not noisy, but the walking is definitely
a distraction. At home someone getting up for eats is OK, but when paying a high price for
a movie, it does get on the nerves a little.

NOTE2: The movies are "normal" for any theater. So, your favorite presentation could easily
be the movie during your meal. You oreder from your seat and the food is brought during the
show.

Splitsville really is a regular restaurant similar to an Applebee's, Chili's, or Red Robin. The bowling lanes are on the second level so if you don't go up the escalators, you'd never know there was bowling. They have a wide-ranging menu and there is even a sushi bar - the sushi was very good!

To me, Splitsville is a great choice. We ate while we bowled and would definitely eat there again, whether bowling or not. Not sure, however, about the escalator issue, as we bowled downstairs (i.e., the level of the front door). There are probably eight lanes down there, if I had to guess, so I'm not sure you can actually avoid seeing the lanes on either floor. If you think the bowling would be fun for the kids, you have access to the full restaurant menu while bowling, and there is a table at each lane to use for that purpose. On the flip side, if you don't really want to bowl and fear that the kiddos would potentially pitch a fit at being there and seeing others bowling while they can't, then maybe look elsewhere.

Among the options you're listing (Trex, RC and PH), I'd probably go with Trex. We've been pretty disappointed in RC the last couple of times we went (always willing to give a second chance, but unlikely a third at this point). Has been a while since we hit Trex, but I remember our kids enjoying digging up dinosaur bones in the sandbox while we waited for a table, and the food was OK (but same company as RC, so likely very similar food...I've just forgotten or blocked it out - ha!). As for PH, we enjoy it enough, but Trex would likely be more appreciated by younger kids like it sounds like you have.

If willing to branch out, I'd support Earl of Sandwich (our kids love it, and there are definitely available options for picky kids) or the Wolfgang Puck options or, if willing to go with quick service, the new BBQ place at House of Blues or Cookes of Dublin....or the Food Truck park that is now open. One of the trucks has the potato and kielbasa pierogies from Food & Wine...and corn dogs.

In short, there are plenty of good lunch options at DTD. (For the record, we also liked the movie theater option, where we saw Frozen when it came out, but definitely would be a tough challenge with a 20-month old!)

Depends on the time of the movie for age restrictions. Under 18 must be accompanied by a guardian for the movies that have the "18+" icon. Kids under six are not permitted at all at R rated movies AFTER 6pm.
I was just there on 12/26 and had no trouble with my 13 y/o DD enjoying the Hobbit movie.

Thank you!! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter