Ambulance service at WDW

winterman

DIS Veteran
In November 2015 I fainted while waiting for a bus back to POFQ from the Animal Kingdom. I got immediate assistance from a nearby nurse and quickly there after from several cast members. They called an ambulance (Reedy Creek) and I was transported to the hospital in Celebration. I was well enough to leave after a liter of IV fluids (although the spot on my head that hit the pavement hurt for weeks.)

I have yet to see a bill for the ambulance service and I wonder if it is a free service that Disney provides or should I expect a bill in the future? Anybody have any experience with this?

Well, I would be very surprised if it's a free service. I really hate how slow medical billing is. You get bills months later, and of course they expect payment immediately. They separate everything too; a bill for the hospital; a bill for individual doctors. It's insane how complicated it all is.

You might contact your insurance to see what they covered versus what you will be responsible for so you can at least plan for it.

Many years back my wife had a seizure at Downtown Disney. Reedy Creek was there in minutes and took her to same hospital. Our insurance covered the hospital and we received no bill from Reedy Creek. They were amazing and staff at Port Orleans Riverside went out of their way to come to the hospital and pick us up when she was released that evening. I believe it is just part of services that they provide and they are very much appreciated by this family.

Most places, not all, will accept what your insurance pays and will not bill you the difference.

That's nice to know about the RC ambulance service. I've read good things about the hospital at Celebration too. Here's hoping none of us here never need it (or need it again.) :earsboy:

Sounds like Reedy Creek is different from the rest!

Most places, not all, will accept what your insurance pays and will not bill you the difference.

Absolutely NOT true for ambulance services.

DH's companies always have terrific insurance, but ambulance companies are beholden to no one, and are rarely "preferred providers" with contracts. Once had an epic nearly year long battle with one such company over a discount they offered, then took away, in the amount of $70. I prevailed, but I bet it's rare for that to happen. (few people will fight for a year for less than $100) And I don't even want to talk about the 1.5 years it took to clear up issues with my MIL's bills from an ambulance company...

Wow! That's quite a perk when you think about it. Sure, most people will never need it, but I'm sure saving a grand on an ambulance ride is a big relief to those who do.

It's the only free ride @ WDW !!!! We have used the Reedy Creek ambulance and we were told there was no charge.

That is really remarkable, especially since most people have insurance that would cover an ambulance when needed.

That is really remarkable, especially since most people have insurance that would cover an ambulance when needed.
We've never had insurance that covered an ambulance call/ride. :( Luckily, we've never needed to pay out of pocket for one, either (yet!). It is nice Disney does not charge for the ambulance call.

Sounds like Reedy Creek is different from the rest!

Absolutely NOT true for ambulance services.

DH's companies always have terrific insurance, but ambulance companies are beholden to no one, and are rarely "preferred providers" with contracts. Once had an epic nearly year long battle with one such company over a discount they offered, then took away, in the amount of $70. I prevailed, but I bet it's rare for that to happen. (few people will fight for a year for less than $100) And I don't even want to talk about the 1.5 years it took to clear up issues with my MIL's bills from an ambulance company...

Ok let me clarify. By places I mean Cities, Counties and Townships, etc. Now if you are dealing with a "Private" service that is completely different.

When I worked there they stressed to us to encourage people to go in the ambulance by telling them there is no charge. Disney wants sick people out of their park/off their property. This was in 2004.

We had a situation in 2014. 2:45 in the morning my mother needed to be transported to the hospital from OKW. I called the front desk to tell them that I was going to call 911 so they would know what was happening. I was told no need, they connected me. Before the ambulance arrived at the villa, both security and the Manager on Duty were at the door. As they were bringing my mother out of the villa to the ambulance I said I would follow the ambulance to the hospital (I had a rental car.) The manager insisted that I should ride in the ambulance and when I needed to come back to the resort to take a cab and to bring the receipt to the front desk for reimbursement for the cab fare. There was never a bill for the ambulance. There was a message in the room later in the day checking up on how my mother had fared at the hospital. I stopped at the front desk when I returned from the hospital to thank them for their professionalism earlier in the day. They insisted on a receipt for the cab and credited it back to the room. Over the top treatment - they certainly did not have to take any responsibility for the cab fare. I tell that story as often as I can as an example of the customer service we received that trip.

You will not receive a bill for the ambulance. My husband had to be transported to a hospital and I was able to ride in the front of the ambulance. The driver told me that no bill would come. He also gave me the same information about the taxi as the poster above me stated.

Disney's emergency services - Reedy Creek - are their own, not the counties/cities (due to the size of Disney crossing multiple zones), so Disney foots the bill! They don't want anything happening on their property, they want you off and getting stabilized asap.

I work for an Ambulance and fire service. I'm not gonna say who or where, but we charge roughly $750/$1,000 for a 911 transport, and around the same for an assisted living transport. Some places charge more, some less. An evac by air ( helicopter ) is roughly 5 grand. ( that's distance depending on the charge )
So I would say you got a definite bargain.

Last edited:
I had an asthma attack in the MK about 3 years ago. There was no charge for the ambulance ride, and I was treated wonderfully by all involved. As a previous poster stated, I think the main idea is to get you to help, and out of sight, quickly.

Thank you to all who confirmed that I won't see a bill. I had earlier read here that Disney would reimburse me for the cab ride back to my resort so on my return I stopped at the front desk. They did give me a credit on my bill and at my request, they cancelled an ADR that we had for that evening (with no cancellation fee.) When DS and I got out of the cab, I had asked a CM for a ride back to our room and a golf cart type vehicle was waiting for us when we finished at the front desk. I was very happy with Disney's response to my incident.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter