• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Amazon Prime $72 offer- Saturday

For all those asking how to turn off the auto-renew, it can be done but it's not very intuitive. You go into the Manage Prime Membership screen, then click End Membership. Click Yes/Continue that you want to end your membership (don't worry, it won't end your membership immediately). Finally it will take you to a screen that tells you your membership will be canceled on the date it expires.

Oh, man! I thought this was for new accounts only, not renewals. Did I miss out?

I have one account on a free trial of Prime right now, and it wouldn't let me purchase this deal for that account. So, no, I didn't see any way to make it work for renewals. For some reason, I have a second Amazon account, so I purchased Prime on that one.

I have one account on a free trial of Prime right now, and it wouldn't let me purchase this deal for that account. So, no, I didn't see any way to make it work for renewals. For some reason, I have a second Amazon account, so I purchased Prime on that one.

I didn't think it would work for renewals. Thanks for the info.

I didn't think it would work for renewals. Thanks for the info.

It's too late now, but you can in a way use it for renewals. My Prime doesn't expire until July, so I bought one as a gift for my email address that is associated with my Prime account and set the delivery date for a couple days before my Prime is set to expire. When I get the "gift" email from myself, I'll just activate my "gift" subscription.
I did this last year too and it worked just fine.

For all those asking how to turn off the auto-renew, it can be done but it's not very intuitive. You go into the Manage Prime Membership screen, then click End Membership. Click Yes/Continue that you want to end your membership (don't worry, it won't end your membership immediately). Finally it will take you to a screen that tells you your membership will be canceled on the date it expires.
Ah thanks, I started to do that but was afraid it would cancel immediately.

Just a bump to say I really recommend Amazon's original TV offerings so far, Transparent (won Best Comedy Golden Globe, but it's more of a dramedy) and Mozart in the Jungle.

It's too late now, but you can in a way use it for renewals. My Prime doesn't expire until July, so I bought one as a gift for my email address that is associated with my Prime account and set the delivery date for a couple days before my Prime is set to expire. When I get the "gift" email from myself, I'll just activate my "gift" subscription.

Ah, great idea! I am in the middle of a renewal, which fell under the old price, so I don't feel so bad. I will try your way next time. Thank you!

I did as was suggested and got the gift email for a couple of days before my prime ends. Should I now cancel my prime? And then start up again? Otherwise it says it will use another credit card listed in my accounts to renew me and I don't want that.

I used the free trial last year and kept Prime for the rest of the year. It's set to expire in November but I can't think of any reason to renew it for me. I don't use any of it. There is nothing I want to stream or read that I don't already get elsewhere. Even the "free" shipping is usually no good to me because I can buy the item cheaper from another vendor, even with shipping. Thanks for the tip on how to cancel the auto-renew.

I have just received my gift to myself. Do I cancel the membership I have now? And then just start a new one with my gift?

Just add the gift membership to your account. When you renew, Amazon will use the gift membership instead of charging your card. I just did this earlier this year.

Jill in CO

I hate to respond to an old thread, but Prime is on sale on Friday 9/25 for $67. We're on someone else's Prime so I have the option to "upgrade" for $99. Does anyone know if that will be $67 on Friday? We've never had full Prime ourselves but share with someone else's account. Thanks!

Just add the gift membership to your account. When you renew, Amazon will use the gift membership instead of charging your card. I just did this earlier this year.

Jill in CO
How did you do it? I had the worst time in May. I gifted myself and received my gift 2 days before the Prime expired. when I clicked on it the only option was to add the $72 to my account as a gift card, so I did. I called Amazon and the rep told me she thought that when the Prime membership expired, it would use the $72 to renew, it didn't and you can't use a gift card to pay Prime which is ridiculous. The rep called me on her day off, had me renew the Prime using my credit card, waited until she saw the transaction, credited my credit card but left the Prime for the year. I asked her about the $72 that I had in my gift card account for Amazon and she said that I could keep it! she called me twice on her day off, best customer service I have ever had.
Worked out well for me as I got Prime free for year but I still don't know what I did wrong when trying to use my Prime "gift" to myself.

I followed the instructions I believe that were in this thread. I have a couple of months between buying the gift membership and my account renewing but it worked perfectly.

Jill in CO

Jill in CO

I gifted myself and got the email. But when I tried to add it to my account it says I am already a member. So, not sure what I am doing wrong, will wait until my membership expires and try again tomorrow. But now I also see prime is on sale tomorrwo so maybe I will just renew it for $67 and save this gift membership for next year!

How did you do it? I had the worst time in May. I gifted myself and received my gift 2 days before the Prime expired. when I clicked on it the only option was to add the $72 to my account as a gift card, so I did. I called Amazon and the rep told me she thought that when the Prime membership expired, it would use the $72 to renew, it didn't and you can't use a gift card to pay Prime which is ridiculous. The rep called me on her day off, had me renew the Prime using my credit card, waited until she saw the transaction, credited my credit card but left the Prime for the year. I asked her about the $72 that I had in my gift card account for Amazon and she said that I could keep it! she called me twice on her day off, best customer service I have ever had.
Worked out well for me as I got Prime free for year but I still don't know what I did wrong when trying to use my Prime "gift" to myself.

Glad it worked out for you and you got such a nice rep! I may end up calling myself if I can't figure out how to make this work myself.

I did as was suggested and got the gift email for a couple of days before my prime ends. Should I now cancel my prime? And then start up again? Otherwise it says it will use another credit card listed in my accounts to renew me and I don't want that.
a few weeks before my renewal, I took my credit card number out of my account so Amazon did not have anything to charge it to.

Glad it worked out for you and you got such a nice rep! I may end up calling myself if I can't figure out how to make this work myself.
not sure if Amazon would like us "gifting ourselves" to get around the "can't be used for renewals" so when I called Amazon I said that it was a gift from my Mom.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter