Amazing Time @ Universal

Earning My Ears
My son and I had the BEST time at Universal during our vacation.

We hit each park on one day and pretty much stayed each day from open to close (no early admission for us). We were able to get on every ride that we wanted to ride (we did have express passes) at least once; we hit all the shows that we wanted to see. We saw all the characters we wanted too and we just can't wait to go back!

I had no problems fitting my fat behind in any of the rides (had to use the modified seats, but still fit with room to spare in those). My son was chosen for Ollivanders, I was chosen for Disaster. My son got to participate in Fear Factor. We had some of the students from Hogwarts join us at our lunch at Three Broomsticks. They just sat down with us - we were there very early for lunch (like right when lunch started) I just can't say enough good things about our trip.

Transformers = HOLY COW AMAZING! :)

HP & the Forbidden Journey = Can I live there? Please please please :) So much fun and just going through the line was something awesome.

I do think Twister and Terminator either need to be replaced or updated. I giggled a lot at the Cyberdine stuff and Twister kind of smelled of mold and mildew - but they were enjoyable - just not as good at the other stuff.

Our time at Disney was frightfully bad compared to what we experienced at Universal. I was not feeling magical at all at Magic Kingdom - but I guess that's how the cookie crumbles.

I'm glad I came here and read a lot - it really helped out. :)

Yea!!! :cool1: Glad you had a great time! We made our first Uni visit last week and came away with many of the same thoughts as you. We spent one day at Magic Kingdom but all our daughters felt it was "boring" compared to Uni, so that will make planning a future trip easier! I was blown away by the Harry Potter stuff -- FJ almost did me in but I'm glad I finally got brave enough to do it. Just seeing the castle and the all the perfect little details of how the Hogsmeade buildings were done.... oooh I loved it. I went thru Olivanders three times just to take in the atmosphere!

:welcome: to the darkside 1974!

i'm happy to read about the great time you had in the parks.

thank you for sharing your trip with us.

now you are an expert about the rides and parks, hope you can do more trips there in the future.

Glad you had such a good time :thumbsup2

Love to hear people have good opinions about Transformers.....really looking forward to that ride in September.

Potterville is so amazing too, it`s certainly impressive.

Thanks for reporting back :thumbsup2

:welcome: to the darkside 1974!

i'm happy to read about the great time you had in the parks.

thank you for sharing your trip with us.

now you are an expert about the rides and parks, hope you can do more trips there in the future.

I wouldn't call myself an expert by any stretch of the imagination - but I still had fun :)

I would say at Universal we were treated very kindly by everyone we encounted - staff wise - and that made the days even better.

Disney is supposedly famous for their customer service, but we were treated quite poorly by multiple employees during our trip to Magic Kingdom, so I was very surprised and dismayed by it.

Plus we got peed on by a 10 year old girl on the Small World ride - I really couldn't beleive it. I'm still astounded by it.

I wouldn't call myself an expert by any stretch of the imagination - but I still had fun :)

I would say at Universal we were treated very kindly by everyone we encounted - staff wise - and that made the days even better.

Disney is supposedly famous for their customer service, but we were treated quite poorly by multiple employees during our trip to Magic Kingdom, so I was very surprised and dismayed by it.

Plus we got peed on by a 10 year old girl on the Small World ride - I really couldn't beleive it. I'm still astounded by it.

Oh my goodness that is so gross!! :eek: I can't even imagine.. I hope your clothes were replaced.

Glad you had a good time at Universal though!! :goodvibes I'm wondering, where the Hogwarts students that joined you for lunch employees or guests dressed up as students? I've never heard of that happening before.

I'm so glad you had a good time! Thanks for sharing your trip with us. :goodvibes

Oh my goodness that is so gross!! :eek: I can't even imagine.. I hope your clothes were replaced.

Glad you had a good time at Universal though!! :goodvibes I'm wondering, where the Hogwarts students that joined you for lunch employees or guests dressed up as students? I've never heard of that happening before.

It was the choir(?) people I think. They just sat down at the big table where we were - so I guess "joining" us is a little of a misnomer. They didn't eat or anything; I don't know if they were waiting for their stage to be ready or if there was something else going on? We just politely said hello and went back to what we were doing; it just made my son's day as he said it made him feel like he was really in Hogsmeade. They didn't stay super long.

As far as the Small World incident, let's just say there are some people in the world who think it's perfectly acceptable for their ten year old to pee in the seat and if you say anything to them about it you're a major jerk. I told the employees of the ride when we got the end so they wouldn't sit anyone else in the boat after us and the mother gave me a ghetto eyeroll and told me to mind my own business. Thankfully we had extra shorts in a bag in a locker so we got to change - but that's it!

We had the same feelings in April. As you can see we have been Disney people for years. We spent 3 of our 11 days at Universal and it blew is away. It wad waaay more magical than our days at Disney. We have switched to the dark side. Just booked 2014 portofino bay for our entire trip with.......for the first time since 2002...NO plan for even one day at Disney. Sorry Disney, every year it got a little worse, and you lost us this year.

Thank you for sharing! I always choose IOA & Universal too. We are staying for the first time on site at PB and ooooo we can't wait! So glad you had fun! For awhile there I thought my family and I were the weirdos as everyone else opted for Disney and we didn't. They still look at me and ask, "why?" Lol

We also prefer Universal & IOA over Disney, but we still do Disney for my grandson, we stay at the campground which he loves to do, so it is a different atmosphere then staying at the hotel. We have never stayed on site at Universal and purchased the fast pass, so this year we are staying onsite can't wait to enjoy and experience it. Esp. getting in to Harry Potter before the crowds.

My family has pretty much converted as well.

We still love them both but during our last visit we done a split stay and Universal just stood way out for us above Disney. This was during Christmas and it just seemed that Universal was more decorated, people were happier, etc. At Disney everyone seemed so rushed and stressed. And a previous poster is right - the staff wasn't as friendly during our last trip to Disney.

I don't know, maybe it is because we stay at the onsite resorts and they are right there at City Walk and everything is within walking distance. Add the express pass and it just makes it wonderful as some of the rides are amazing and you feel you get your money's worth. I hate running around getting FP at Disney. Plus Universal can feel more like an "adult" park if you know what I mean.

We've been to Disney in October but not Universal and I'm dying to go that month but my son's school schedule (previously high school, now college) just won't give us a long enough break to make the trip at that time. We have a repeat trip planned for this December but in 4 years it will be an October for me.

Thank you for sharing! I always choose IOA & Universal too. We are staying for the first time on site at PB and ooooo we can't wait! So glad you had fun! For awhile there I thought my family and I were the weirdos as everyone else opted for Disney and we didn't. They still look at me and ask, "why?" Lol

You are going to just love PB. Make sure you eat at Sal's if you like pizza...great stuff.

Oh, that sounds super. How old is your son? My son was chosen two years ago, and it is still one of his favourite things, ever. I totally get why having the choir share your table would feel "just like Hogwart's". :wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter