AMAZING RACE around EPCOT! What challenges would you include?

In November the Christmas decorations will be up so you could include clues to lead them to the Chocolate Carousel at the Beach Club or the Gingerbread display at Boardwalk (both being an easy walk form EPCOT). You could also have them watch certain Christmas around the World presentations.

Take a look at my post on an Amazing Race over MK, Epcot, and DHS for some more ideas:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3089876

As a matter of game design, a lot of your challenges are really short, which is going to make it much more difficult to organize and run. Remember that in the actual Amazing Race, there are usually only 2-3 challenges between Pit Stops! A separate detour and road block for every country makes for a very long day, and a lot of work for you if groups get separated.

Your "Around the World" card seems to create a completely different scavenger hunt, and you may be throwing too many different complications into your game.

Some of the challenges are a little vague--not puzzling, but vague. Like the Italy roadblock.

One really risky thing--you do not want to make high-demand ADRs where you have to hope people stay on time through the race! It sounds like you want to end your day with Le Cellier, and I think that's really dangerous, because you should assume that you will estimate the time to complete this wrong. In my hypothetical Amazing Race game, the only ADR I even considered making was a lunch ADR for Kona Cafe, where if we went in the fall it probably would be walk-in even if we were early or late, and even if we couldn't get in the Polynesian food court is pretty good. Making Chef Mickey's and Le Cellier ADRs that are dependent on timely finishing the race is a bad idea.

GoofyMB - Thanks for that idea! I wasn't sure when the Xmas decorations would go up exactly and if we would be able to enjoy them or not. I'm pretty sure the Holiday storytellers won't be performing quite yet though from what I've read? Maybe I'm wrong?

Edgehopper - I was concerned about the "Around the World" card making it too complicated as well. However, there is just one "team" running the race as we are all going to stay together, so I won't really have the logistical issues of teams being separated, etc. - - and my thought was just to add in the Amazing Race style Detours/Roadblocks to help us explore the pavilions a little more and add an element of fun while we ate/drank around the world. I figured my timing may end up being a little off for our ADRs but will just adjust as necessary based on how the day is going. Not too concerned if we end up having to skip some of the Detours or have to do some things out of order in order to make our reservations.

I agree that the Italy challenge is vague - - I honestly had a hard time coming up with something for that. Any better ideas?? Thank you SO much for the link you gave and the constructive feedback - I really appreciate it!!

I did an Amazing Race style game for my son and his friends from High School...this is long, but it includes all the challenges I made:

Saludos Amigos!
Travel to Mexico-Go inside the Pyramid

Hats Off To You::Look for a lady wearing a sombrero. With no help from your team put on 11 sombreros one at a time and have someone on your team take a picture.
Open Clue #2

The Living Dead: Mexicans celebrate El Dia de los Muertos, Inside the market, find what do they call the skeletons in Spanish (clue: you might want to go close to the Restaurant). Write the answer on your answer sheet inside your passport,
Open Clue #3

Lights Out: Count how many paper lanterns hang over the marketplace. Write your answer on your answer sheet.
Open clue # 4

God Dag
Travel to Norway
No-rway Knowledge : Travel into the Stave Church and find the name of the Viking that got paid in Silver. Write it down on your answer sheet.
Open Clue #5

Rising Up; Inside the Norway gift shop find the mural with a mountain and climbers. How many climbers are climbing? Write it down on your answer sheet.
Open Clue #6

Ni Hao
Travel to China

Bricks or Stones:
Bricks: Count how many rectangular tiles are on the ceiling at the entrance of the temple (round room)
Stones: Count how many warriors are standing in the main exhibit of Tomb of Warriors (center area)
Write your answer on your answer sheet.
Open Clue #7

Tricks are for Kids
Look for a girl wearing a white fedora outside the Gift Shop. She will check your answer sheet so far and demonstrate what to do.
One person in your team must balance a plate on a stick for 15sec. to receive your next numbered clues. Your teammate must take a picture.
Open Clue# 8

Gutten Tag
Travel to Germany
I’m In A Pickle: German’s decorate their Christmas trees with pickles, find out why and write it on your answer sheet. (clue: look inside the stores)
Open Clue #9

Dragon Slayer: What’s the name of the person slaying the dragon in the middle of the pavilion?
(clue: you can ask Cast Members) write it down in your answer sheet
Open Clue # 10

Gooooooollll Cinderella: Cindy’s Castle was inspired by a castle. What’s the name of this German Castle? (clue: look close to the register)
Write it down in your answer sheet
Open Clue # 11

Buon Giorno
Travel to Italy
Water Transport: The city of Venice is famous for their Gondolas. How many can you see in the waterfront?
Write down your answer on the sheet
Open Clue # 12

Mighty Neptune: You could toss a coin and make a wish. In the Fontana di Nettuno what does the God have in his hands?
Write your answer
Open Clue # 13

Good Old USA
Travel to the American Adventure Pavilion

National Treasures or Painted Treasures
National Treasures: Go to the National Treasures exhibit and find the name of the second American to fly in space
Painted Treasures: Look for the painting “Reaching for the Stars” what’s the only astronaut that has a full name tag?
Write your answer on the answer sheet.
Open Clue #14.

Find Gustavo Rodriguez in the gardens next to the Kidcot station. He will check your answers so far and explain the next task.
Ping Pong Splash: one member of your team will put a cup on shoulder while the rest will take turns throwing a ping pong ball. Once you make 5 baskets you can move on.
Receive the next group of clues from Gustavo Rodriguez
Open Clue # 15

Konnichiha
Travel to Japan
Find the Girl with the White Fedora
Lets Spice Things Up: One person in your team (or all if you’d like) must eat 2 pieces of Wassabi, while another teammate takes a picture.
Open Clue # 16

Spirited Beasts: We all love Hello Kitty, but what is it called in Japan? Find the Spirited Beasts exhibit to find out.
Write your answer on the sheet
Open Clue # 17

Salam
Travel to Morroco

Men or Women
Enter the “Art of Personal Adornment” exhibit
Men: Find the accessory from the 10th C that has glass and metal and is on loan from the Museum of Antrop. In Wake Forest University
Women: Find the 20th C accessory that has enamel, glass, silver, beads and wool.
Write you answer on the sheet
Open Clue # 18

Look It Up: Find Aladdin’s room across from the Marrakesh Restaurant. What is discussed on page 100, 2nd Subheading in the encyclopedia on the counter?
Write you answer on the sheet
Open Clue # 19

Browsing: Go to the main marketplace, find any Moroccan style headpiece, put it on and take a picture
Open Clue #20

Bonjour
Travel to France
Time to Get Artistic: Go to the main poster column, find the Elephant poster; what does it say under it?
Open Clue # 21

Where in France: Go to the Souvenirs de France shop at the back of the pavilion. What are the streets names in the store? Hint: there are 3 names
Write your answer on the sheet.
Open Clue #22

Good day Mates
Travel to United Kingdom
Find the girl with the white fedora near the maze at the back of the pavilion. She’ll check your answers so far and explain the next task

Maze Craze: Balance a ball on a spoon with your mouth around the maze to get your next group of clues.
Open Clue # 23

Ello Chaps: Enter the building thru the middle door directly in front of the maze. What activity is being portrayed in the 2 paintings by the two reading chairs?
Write your answer on your sheet
Open Clue # 24
Can You Hear Me Now: Go to the red phone booths by the restrooms and answer the ringing phone. The caller will ask: What’s good to eat in UK? And you have to answer “Fish and Chips” to receive your next clue

Hello or Salut
Travel to Canada
Stacked Up: How many totem poles are outside the pavilion?
Write your answer on the sheet.
Open Clue # 26

Stop and Smell the Flowers: By the beautiful gardens close to Le’Cellier find what inspired the Victoria Gardens.
Open Clue # 27

Travel to Club Cool by the Fountain of Nations

Drink Up Me Hearties: After traveling all around the world you must be thirsty. One team member (or all if you’d like) must drink a cup of each soda offered at Club Cool. Gustavo Rodriguez will give you the last instructions.

Last Clue: (Gustavo says it)
It’s been a long trip. Just outside one of these doors you’ll find a large Air Conditioned area where you can turn in your teams’ passport with answer sheet and picture for the end of your journey.

this was done last year, the exhibit inside American Adventure has changed so some of the clues there are not there anymore...hope this helps, if you have any question PM me

You're skipping the Norway film???

My husband LOVES that film. He insists on sitting through it every time we ride the Maelstrom. :rotfl:

Looks like you have a great plan. Would you mind sending me templates. Would like to do this on our Sept. trip.::yes::
Lori

yulilin3 - Thank you SO much for your clues! I'm looking at incorporating some of those now! I will be DMing you re: some of the answers :)

Magpie - :rotfl:

Enchanted23 and ckrisie - DM me your e-mail addresses and I will be happy to e-mail you my template! :)

I am new to this. What is DM? I have tried to send you a message but since I am new I haven't posted enough messages. Can I post email on message here.
Lori

Enchanted23 - a Private or Direct message just so your e-mail address wouldn't be open for anyone to see. You are welcome to post it on this thread if you'd prefer though. Or post a few more places to get your post count up first and then message me. Whatever you want! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter