Amazing Adventures of the 2011 Disney Mom's Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't like where AKL is located on the Disney property. I know that sounds strange, that's why I haven't given it a chance!;)
You sound exactly like my mom. She remains reluctant to stay there because of the location. I strongly urge you to reconsider.

I had the opportunity to spend three nights at the Animal Kingdom Lodge on two different trips. Most recently, I crashed in a friend's room at a big Disney discussion board meet a few years ago. It is absolutely beautiful. Walking into the lobby, the fabulous smells wafting up from Boma greet you, and you feel so at peace. It really is a beautiful resort.

I posted the question on another thread a few months ago, Let's try it here!

What is one thing at WDW you have to do everytime you visit? Like kiss it goodbye, be the last family out of the park? I eat at Chef Mickey's everytime and I pick up one rock from where ever I'm staying and add it to my flower beds. (I have cobblestone rocks around all my flower beds) I'm a strange one!! I can't wait to here your strange answers, LOL.:rotfl:

You sound exactly like my mom. She remains reluctant to stay there because of the location. I strongly urge you to reconsider.

I had the opportunity to spend three nights at the Animal Kingdom Lodge on two different trips. Most recently, I crashed in a friend's room at a big Disney discussion board meet a few years ago. It is absolutely beautiful. Walking into the lobby, the fabulous smells wafting up from Boma greet you, and you feel so at peace. It really is a beautiful resort.

I will definitely consider it on future visits.;)

What is one thing at WDW you have to do everytime you visit? Like kiss it goodbye, be the last family out of the park? I eat at Chef Mickey's everytime and I pick up one rock from where ever I'm staying and add it to my flower beds. (I have cobblestone rocks around all my flowerbeds) I'm a strange one!! I can't wait to here your strange answers, LOL.:rotfl:

We have to close the park on BTMRR. In 2008 we went to the Pirate & Princess party and we rode BTMRR 4times without getting off and closed down the park. It was fun to be the last train in. One of our family's favorite memories so we have made a point to close the park on BTMRR on every trip since. We also always have to stop and make a wish at Cinderella's wishing well.

One other thing we do is at the Orlando airport upon arrival. We head straight for the Snow White statue to see if she's been waiting for us! My DD exclaimed on her 2nd trip. "Look Snow White waited for us to come back!!" She was 5 at the time.

As for the favorite resort question ours is also Poly. It was the first on site stay and I think will always have that special place in our heart. BC is a close 2nd though!

I have to get a picture in front of Gertie the Dinosaur at Hollywood Studios, followed by getting a Mickey's Premium Bar. We typically do it on the first day of our trip - in other words... I GET TO DO IT TOMORROW!!!!! :banana:

We also decided to start a new tradition. Last year was the first time I saw the VinylMation figurines, and I think they are adorable. I want to buy one on our first day of the trip and have it be our good luck charm/mascot for the rest of the week.

What is one thing at WDW you have to do everytime you visit? Like kiss it goodbye, be the last family out of the park? I eat at Chef Mickey's everytime and I pick up one rock from where ever I'm staying and add it to my flower beds. (I have cobblestone rocks around all my flowerbeds) I'm a strange one!! I can't wait to here your strange answers, LOL.:rotfl:

We must have one breakfast at Crystal Palace & have a family picture taken with Tiggr!

I don't think there is anything that we do every trip. we don't hit the parks in any special order. We go to the rides as we feel like it that day.

My favorite resort would be between Boardwalk and AKL. I have spent a couple vacations at BW and a few other places but most of them at AKV's in concierge. I think that the concierge puts it over the top and prefer that at AKV's Jambo. AKV's is nice and quiet and peaceful. I like the relaxed atmosphere, the animals outside the window and the wood everywhere. I tried Kidani for a stay and I didn't really care for it. The location doesn't bother me, I take the bus to the parks and it works. BW is great to walk to the parks or the boats but I like the buses. They give you downtime to breathe before getting to the hotel and having to get everyone ready for bed.

I really want to stay at The Grand Floridian one day though. Never stayed on the monorail and that resort is just so gorgeous.

Stop of at Le Chapeau hat store on Main Street for Mickey Ears - with names, of course! Hubs has his eyes on the top hat ears next time around. Though I suspect this may be variable, dependent on the selection. He could probably be swayed by the new limited edition Nightmare Before Christmas version, too.

We always eat at chef mickey's (almost always the first night) and we must ride the carousel of progress (almost always last)

Anne

Good morning my fellow #2011DisneyMomsPanelHopefuls !!

We always ride the Steam train one full loop (starting at Main Street Depot) as our first attraction when at the Magic Kingdom. Since they were very little my Ds's, like most boys, have an affinity for trains (just like Walt!) and the habit remains.

All Star Movies will always have a special place in my heart with the memories of when my DS's were toddlers. More recently, I have been bitten by the Contemporary bug and is quickly becoming my absolutely must, it's a great experience on so many levels.

I guess my profile signature gives all that away, huh?

Good morning everyone. Hope today is the day. :cool1:

We always start our first day at Magic Kingdom. We ride Buzz Lightyear twice. This way we all have a chance to play each other for bragging rights the rest of the trip.

I have to say my favorite resort is AKL/AKV. It's home.

Last trip we stayed at OKW. We had our 6 mo old with us and our flight didn't leave until the evening. We had to find a place for him to have his afternoon nap. We ended up taking the bus to AKL and curling up in the corner of Vicotria Falls for his nap. I am sure we could have done this somewhere else, but our first thought was AKL. :lovestruc

Happy Friday!!!

Hmmmm, favorite resort. That is so tough! I always say I would be happy to pitch a tent in the TTC parking lot, just as long as I am at WDW!

For theming, Wilderness Lodge just blows me away. I really do love it. But, if I had to pick one absolute favorite, I would pick Contemporary. I know, I know....a lot of people are going to argue that there is a lack of theme there. But to me, when you watch that monorail glide into the building you just feel like you are in the very heart of Disney.

I'll be picky and say that the Tower of the Contemporary holds more magic for me than the Garden Wing does. Coming out of your room and being greeted by the hustle and bustle of the Grand Canyon Concourse or sitting on your balcony watching the Castle change colors at night before you go to bed....AHHHHHH....heaven!!!

So, it would totally work for me to make Mom's Panel and have them put us up for training at the Contemporary like they did last year. However, I would also be totally cool with making Mom's Panel and pitching a tent in the TTC parking lot....:rotfl:

Someone mentioned never giving AKL a shake due to its location. (Sorry -- had a lot of pages to catch up on, so I am not quoting) We did the same thing. I had a trip this past May and originally had it booked at AKL. My mom went with us and she was very reluctant about staying there for the same reason. We ended up switching our ressies. I would still like to give it a try, though.

Are there any other resorts you have never tried and have no desire to? I would eventually like to try them all at least once. I guess I have always avoided the 3 HUGE moderates simply because they are so spread out. The notion of having to catch a bus to refill my mug doesn't sit right with me :lmao:

Am I the only one who has never stayed in a Deluxe? We haven't been able to afford it yet.

Since we are all Disney dreaming...
Now that construction on Golden Oaks has officially begun, will anyone else be checking out those new model homes??:cloud9: (I need a fall-back in case I don't actually get my life long wish to live in the castle:upsidedow.)

Is it any wonder that I have applied for THE PANEL?!

Good morning!

Logpey - your husband's comments about the "non paying job" was hilarious....we have similar conversations in our house. And congrats on all the writing credentials and aspirations!!!!!!!

Our favorite resort is WL. We're bringing our son in one week!!! I think it'll be perfect for a 2 year old boy!! We originally booked at Contemporary Bay Lake, but switched because I thought he would have more fun at WL. We even considered AKL, but we too were very concerned about the location. Had it been built closer to MK it would have been our first choice this year.

We are planning to take a morning, though, to head over to All Star Movies. I cannot wait to see the look on his face when he sees Buzz and the Dalmations in HUGE form!!!!

Jen

I just don't like where AKL is located on the Disney property. I know that sounds strange, that's why I haven't given it a chance!;)
That's not strange at all -- it was my dream resort to stay at, and the main reason we waited so long (besides cost!) was the location. But, we stayed there for 5 nights last October, and didn't really notice a difference at all in the ride to and from the parks... we get so caught up in looking at everything and talking about our plans for the day that the time seems to go by the same no matter where we stay. ;) And it is such a beautiful, relaxing and peaceful place to stay... just walking into the lobby gives you this serene, "I'm home" feeling. :lovestruc

It is absolutely beautiful. Walking into the lobby, the fabulous smells wafting up from Boma greet you, and you feel so at peace. It really is a beautiful resort.
Ditto!!

...and I pick up one rock from where ever I'm staying and add it to my flower beds. (I have cobblestone rocks around all my flowerbeds) I'm a strange one!!
Apparently, I must be strange, too, as I do this whenever we visit Maine. I have a whole garden lined with rocks from the coast of the house we stay at... and quite a few smaller ones in baskets and mixed in w/ ocean glass around the house. My husband always knows the end of the week is near when the pile of rocks starts building out by the car... :rotfl:

However, I would also be totally cool with making Mom's Panel and pitching a tent in the TTC parking lot....:rotfl:
:laughing: Right there with you!! :lmao:

I guess I have always avoided the 3 HUGE moderates simply because they are so spread out. The notion of having to catch a bus to refill my mug doesn't sit right with me.
I would say you should give CBR a try... just ask to stay in Jamaica, on the side of the lake. You are right next to the bridge that crosses the lake, with Caribbean Cay right in the middle, and the walk is so lovely and beautiful, and a very peaceful start or end to your day. (We often get off at the entrance to Old Port Royale, get a late night snack and then cross the bridge through CC over to Jamaica. ) I do agree about the coffee, though -- which is why I bring my own Starbucks for the pot in the room!! :)

Sending pixie dust out to everyone as we wait... today is my anniversary -- 16 years and counting... and we're headed to wine country for a wknd away sans children when my DH gets home from work. So what am I thinking more about?? When the e-mails are going to start arriving!! :dance3:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter