AMA Former Jungle Cruise Skipp

Thank you for your service providing Disney Magic:boat: Welcome to the Dis Ty!:thumbsup2

Can you elaborate? Did POTC evacuate into the cruise area?

POTC evacs can be a daunting task so attractions castmembers are pulled from multiple Adventureland locations to assist while still keeping the other attractions staffed for operation. If you look between POTC and JC you will see a large gate to the backstage area this is where most guests in the show building(after the drop) are cycled back onstage.

Welcome, Ty: Can you elaborate on the "mean" guests you encountered? I can't imagine someone being intentionally mean to a CM who is just trying to do his job and make people happy!!! Thanks!

I had an inebriated female guest once who heckled me in an unrelenting and vulgar manner. (Actually had a guest shake my hand after the ride assurring me he wouldnt have been able to keep his cool) I dealt with a gentleman who threw his stroller into the bushes in the attraction's courtyard because it was moved from in front of a set of stairs. Fast pass return, I guess that speaks for itself.

Hello, Ty! Welcome and thank you, both for your Skipper experience and doing this AMA.

When I first went on JC as an adult, everybody in the boat was really quiet and didn't interact much with the Skipper. How do you handle a boat like that? And did you enjoy it if the guests really got into it and started ab-libbing back with you? What can a guest do to really make a Skipper's day?

Don't feed a skipper his jokes chances are we've heard it. That being said I had some wonderful interactions that lead me to intigrate new material into my speil.

For instance after the inspiration falls joke about it inspiring you to have to go to the bathroom I'd say "some people get that joke some don't, I guess it just "Depends"" this pun was from an elderly guest who
had rode my cruise once and I overheard him say it to his family.

As far as people not paying attention. You sort of just have a goto routine whether people are engaging or not. You learn to fall back on this when you have a non English speaking boat.

The best improv usually came out if I got stuck waiting for other boats to unload
You are sort of forced to interact with the guests in this situation.

Awesome stuff. Thanks for the background info and your years of service.

What's your favorite park? Favorite attraction? Favorite snack? Favorite JC joke?

Awesome stuff. Thanks for the background info and your years of service.

What's your favorite park? Favorite attraction? Favorite snack? Favorite JC joke?

Mk, haunted mansion, dole whip or churros

Remember kids with four years in college in a completely unrelated field you too can drive a boat around in a circle wearing khaki

Loved reading this so far!
How much control over the operations of the boat does the skipper really have?
Are the audioanimatronics timed, or activated by the boat being near them, or the skipper?

Loved reading this so far!
How much control over the operations of the boat does the skipper really have?
Are the audioanimatronics timed, or activated by the boat being near them, or the skipper?

Controlled only the throttle. The "river" has a trough cut in the center. Two tires attached to shafts on the bottom of the boat ride in this trough.

The animal's movement and sound is mainly triggered by the boat passing through sensors. This includes "squeeze play" the indian elephants trying to spray the boat scene. Trust me if this isn't timed right or the sensors are malfunctioning, you can absolutely soak the guests

Controlled only the throttle. The "river" has a trough cut in the center. Two tires attached to shafts on the bottom of the boat ride in this trough.

The animal's movement and sound is mainly triggered by the boat passing through sensors. This includes "squeeze play" the indian elephants trying to spray the boat scene. Trust me if this isn't timed right or the sensors are malfunctioning, you can absolutely soak the guests

That might be nice on a hot day:)

Welcome Ty to the DIS! What is the meaning behind your screen name?

That was my nickname on the jungle cruise feel free to Google it "tetanus shot ty". It came from an urban legend that if u fell in the JC water you had to get a tetanus shot. I still to this day don't know if it's true or ever was but when asked by guests I would say "I wanted a name that would invoke fear in the hearts of children everywhere"

That was my nickname on the jungle cruise feel free to Google it "tetanus shot ty". It came from an urban legend that if u fell in the JC water you had to get a tetanus shot. I still to this day don't know if it's true or ever was but when asked by guests I would say "I wanted a name that would invoke fear in the hearts of children everywhere"
OMG, that is perfect! Love It!

Fun thread, Ty....worked a year in the Studios part time in '97-'98...I think one of the funny things to me was getting the same ice cream bars being sold on stage for less than a buck back in the cast member commissary at lunch break...lol. But you had a much cooler job, I worked food and bev carts on NY street and outside the Chinese theater...

I don't know about now or when you were there, but I was able to use ID to go backstage at any of the parks, so went and got myself lost underground at MK one time, just to try it out and to visit the mysterious "tunnels" a bit more than the small bit at university. Anyway, with only part time 1 day per week (plus the passage of almost 20 years), I guess I saw little enough and had enough memory fade to have the "Disney colored" glasses on when we visit now...

Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
Fun thread, Ty....worked a year in the Studios part time in '97-'98...I think one of the funny things to me was getting the same ice cream bars being sold on stage for less than a buck back in the cast member commissary at lunch break...lol. But you had a much cooler job, I worked food and bev carts on NY street and outside the Chinese theater...

My girlfriend worked at Pop Century in food service on the college program before we started dating. Our experiences are extremely different, not only because of the resort vs park experience, but more notably full time vs college program.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter