• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Am I wasting my money?

bornwiththeears

Disney Addict
Where do you usually stay the first night if you arrive late? We usually arrive at the world in the morning, precheck into our hotel and head to a park. This time we will be arriving in the evening. We have booked our stay at the WL. Am I wasting our first night? Do you think we will get two crummy rooms checking in late? I just hated the thought of switching hotels for a saving of $100 or so.

personally, i would not change resorts. i would settle into the WL, take in the atmosphere - take a brief stroll around the grounds.

you'll be sleeping and waking up at the wl, isn,t that half your day anyway :)

I guess it all depends on how long you are staying...We usually can only stay for 5 days due to work and the kids' school, so I would not want to have to take the time to switch resorts....I'd rather check in, unpack and d hit the ground running 1st thing the next morning. The time would be worth more to us than the $100 savings. If you have a little more time, then go for it!!!

As far as your worries about getting a lousy room, I really think it's luck of the draw...you could check in at 9pm and get a great one or 9am and get a lousy room....So many people on here have said the time really won't matter.

Absolutely not. That's really a great idea. Instead of losing a 1/2, or 2/3s of a day on your travel day, you get to enjoy it at the parks and resort.

I agree with checking into your Disney hotel. We're tried all sorts of things, staying out by the airport, staying on the cheap off-property, staying at POP, etc. It just hasn't proved to be worth the aggravation of transport, checking-in, unpacking, checking-out, transport to WL and so on. When we wake up rested and ready it has made for better vacations.

For those of us not blessed with being close to the House of Mouse we cherish the time we get to be there.

Good luck and keep smiling.

personally, i would not change resorts. i would settle into the WL, take in the atmosphere - take a brief stroll around the grounds.

you'll be sleeping and waking up at the wl, isn,t that half your day anyway :)

I agree with this completely. Changing resorts is just too much of a hassle for one night. :)

I guess it all depends on how long you are staying...We usually can only stay for 5 days due to work and the kids' school, so I would not want to have to take the time to switch resorts....I'd rather check in, unpack and d hit the ground running 1st thing the next morning. The time would be worth more to us than the $100 savings. If you have a little more time, then go for it!!!

As far as your worries about getting a lousy room, I really think it's luck of the draw...you could check in at 9pm and get a great one or 9am and get a lousy room....So many people on here have said the time really won't matter.

I agree. We've gotten a good room and a lousy room checking in at 11am! WL is such a beautiful resort that you'll have a wonderful, relaxing time just hanging out and exploring the surroundings. Have a great trip!!!!!

Once you go in and close the door, all rooms look the same. I don't really think there is a bad room at WL. We would spend the extra and stay at the WL, switching resorts is such a pain, time wasting really non money saving pain in the butt. Check in, grab your suits and dip into the pool, unwind, tour the resort, check out the gift shops boat over to FW for some great buffet. When you place your head on that pillow knowing that in the am you're off to the parks, that savings with a resort switch will be forgotten.

Everyone will be jacked up on Disney adrenaline that night and will want to explore and get a schedule together for the next couple days. Totally worth the late stay. It's so nice to just wake up and go to your first park. :)

I agree. Stay at WL the first night. You don't want to lose hours off your first full vacation day to switch resorts. Besides, its much easier to switch rooms than resorts. If you hate the room, ask for a new one in the morning, or as soon as you see it! Have a great time. WL is gorgeous!:)

Great!! It is unanimous. We have stayed at the WL before, but it will be my new son-in-law's first trip. I felt the same way about the room - i just needed confirmation.

We've checked in early and late and honestly we have gotten the best rooms with the later check ins. We have been upgraded a few times with the later check ins and never when we get there on time lol.

I know this is not in line with what everyone is saying and I would still check in at the WL if I had to arrive late, but we drive down and if we get in after 11am I never get the room I want. However If I make a point of getting in between 6 and 7am I always get just the room I want. I have also been upgraded at those times. Now withthat said unless I could just add anouther night and stay off site the first night I would not go anywhere but Disney.:goodvibes

It all depends on your stay and your budget!!

If money isn't a worry, then book your entire stay at WL.

If money is an issue then by all means stay in a value! Call to have your luggage transferred ASAP in the morning and be sure to pack your overnight back with toiletries and clothes for the next morning, ensuring that you don't have to unpack all of your other luggage. As long as you stay on property, Disney will transfer your luggage for free and you need *not be present.

As far as if it makes a difference in how room locations are determined, I really don't think it matters but that's just my opinion. We have checked in early and we have checked in late and we usually always get our requests such as close to pool or buses or food court, etc.

We've only been to WL once. We had a standard view room booked, got there about 5:30 pm, and got a room with an inner courtyard view. I'm not sure if it had anything to do with the time or not. The view was beautiful, but to tell you the truth, I went out on the balcony a few times to take pictures, and that was about it. I will probably book a standard room next time too. The courtyard view is beautiful, but it wasn't the main part of my vacation.

When we fly into MCO and have a late evening arrival we found long ago that to get luggage, wait in the rental car line, get the car, drive out to WDW and check in late was just too much for us all. Invariably a kid would melt down, a parent would get crabby, we would have a hard time finding a place to park at the resort, etc, etc.

We always just get a Priceline room at an airport hotel...we grab the luggage, and take the shuttle to the hotel that night (if we do not get the Hyatt right at the airport...in which case you just take the elevator up to the hotel) and the kids are in bed less than an hour after we get off the airplane. Then the next AM one adult picks up the rental car while the other supervises the rest of the clan and we load up and head out to WDW, do early check in at the resort and hop on a bus in time for park opening. We usually spend under $50 for the hotel near the airport.

We have not had great luck checking in at Disney resorts late, but others have not had that experience...I know everyone has their preferences, but this seems to work best for us.

We've checked in early and late and honestly we have gotten the best rooms with the later check ins. We have been upgraded a few times with the later check ins and never when we get there on time lol.

We were upgraded at CSR - checking in around 7:30 pm- they did not have a nonsmoking king room left for the night...upgraded to a double suite for the week.

Are you on DDP? You consider that extra night added to DDP, therefore you have that many more credits, but don't need to purchase an extra day's ticket. :thumbsup2 More value for your money, if you are already paying for that night anyway. Just an idea, :idea: sounds like a plan for us...hmmm... :love:

We love to take our first night at WL to ride the boat to Cont then do the shops, hop the monorail to the other resorts, hop off at each one to tour around, then take monorail to MK, then take the boat back to WL. Be sure you ask boatdriver for times of last boats.

Arriving by boat at WL at night is one of my favorite parts of the trip. Watch out for the Electric Water Parade, sit in the hot tub, it's all amazing at WL ... but let's keep it a secret.

I would keep your reservation at WL. I think there is added time and aggravation involved in staying at another hotel just to save a few bucks. Plus, you will feel as though you are starting your vacation the evening you arrive in Florida, rather than the next day. WL is such a beautiful resort, so I would just check in, explore the place, and maybe have a nice dinner there. When you wake up the next day you can head to the parks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter