Am I the only person no pleased with Disney lighting up Cinderella's castle in rainbow colors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I support the Supreme Courts decision regarding same *** marriage but I am Over all the corporate support Especially from Disney. I am not ready to have the same *** conversation with my 5 year old! It's hard enough trying to explain why she can't invite one of her friends from school (a boy) to a sleep over with girls! It is not appropriate for Disney to have an opinion one way or the other!
What conversation? Are you so bigoted you can't bring yourself to say that people love who they're going to love?

I cannot believe the type of intolerance some people still have, especially on a Disney forum.

What conversation? Are you so bigoted you can't bring yourself to say that people love who they're going to love?
I'm not one to rain on people's parade, but this is neither news or rumor so far as I can tell. These threads drift and that's fine. With that said, I don't think this thread should stay active because it's a highly charged issue with strong emotions on both sides. While the majority of comments have been kind and respectful some have crossed lines. Let's shut this down. @rteetz do you happen to know a moderators name?

Edit: I'll try this one, paging Mr. @RustManFan

Last edited:
I'm not one to rain on people's parade, but this is neither news or rumor so far as I can tell. These threads drift and that's fine. With that said, I don't think this thread should stay active because it's a highly charged issue with strong emotions on both sides. While the majority of comments have been kind and respectful some have crossed lines. Let's shut this down. @rteetz do you happen to know a moderators name?

You can always click "report" if you think the thread warrants it.

Go buy the Families book by Todd Parr and read it with your 5 year old - great book that celebrates all types of families, even if they look different than yours, are a different size than yours, or was built differently than yours.

We have friends who are the same gender and have been married since my DS was little so he's pretty much grown up with the idea that not all couples are opposite genders. If this decision was made when he was 5 I would have explained that now the leadership of the country has made a decision that couples with two moms or two dads are able to get married no matter what state they live in.

Actually, using the "report" function allows any moderator or webmaster currently logged into the boards to react to the "report". If a moderator is away for a few days, a direct message may take that long for them to respond.

Wait, did you just really ask where the straight symbol is? Are you honestly going to compare people who have been fighting for equal rights and displaying their support to a completely accepted group? Come on, don't do that.
Yes I did. If you want to talk equal rights, then should it not be equally allowed to have a "Straight" symbol? Why is you only have to "Fight for a cause" to have a "Symbol"? My point was not that it's right or wrong to have a "Symbol" or a Cause, I just don't need the caused shoved down my throat. It's akin to the "Touchdown Dance". It's a gloating. To that end the rainbow symbol has been around for many years to gain acceptance, but to those who are opposed to it, if they had an "Anti-Gay" Symbol they would be chastised (I guess you could argue that being "Straight" is Anti-Gay) just as you are trying to do to my comment. I am not saying I am for or against one or the other, but why is it right to show support for a cause and wrong to oppose it? It's not, depending on the side of the fence you are on. As I stated in my original comment, I have no issues with SSM, I just have issues with it jammed down my throat (so to speak).

This argument makes no sense. Did you have to come out of the closet as a kid and tell your parents that you were part of a minority that wasn't socially accepted? No, because you are straight, and it is assumed that people are straight until they say otherwise. The LGBTQA community has been fighting for rights for a long time now, and you think there should be a time limit on how long one can celebrate?
You don't know my Orientation, so please don't assume you know what I have had to deal with (or not), and while it may be "Assumed" that people are straight until proved otherwise, that does not give anyone a right to shove their beliefs on me. If courts can force schools to NOT have a moment of prayer because it offends people who are atheists and can even prevent Christians to have their own private group in a school (not forced upon anyone else) then why do I have to accept the rainbow (as a symbol of LGBT) everywhere? YOUR argument about having to overcome the fear of telling parents something that the parents that they are gay is no different then a child telling their parents they got suspended or expelled from school or got arrested for smoking pot, or that they got someone pregnant (or themselves got pregnant). Some families take it better than others. Please don't use that as a means to counter my concern that I don't need it shoved in my face. I struggled to tell my mother that I was moving out at 18... Does that qualify me? I was really scared of how it would turn out so I guess it's okay.

The Stonewall Riots happened on June 28, 1969, and that's a major event where the LGBTQA had been fighting for their rights. Now, 46 years later, when something major happened, you want to tell the community to "give it a rest" less than a week since the ruling? Deplorable.

I cannot believe the type of intolerance some people still have, especially on a Disney forum.
IS there a time limit? I don't know. Should there be? I don't know. Am I intolerant? I don't think so. If I had only seen the "Rainbow" in the last week, maybe, but ALL of my life (slowly increasing it's presence). Personally I don't care about it. I am just tired of seeing it everywhere. TV, Newspaper, Magazines, Billboards, White House, Disney, Walmart, Bumper stickers, Facebook, etc.... EVERYWHERE. I get that there is pride and joy (at the recent ruling), but again, don't fault someone for having an opposing opinion.

Again, let me re-iterate, I am not anti-gay nor am I pro-straight. I am fairly neutral on the whole topic. Just tired of it waving in my face everywhere I turn. Lastly despite the fact that the LGBT Community are just now "Celebrating" the success, The banner has been waving since apparently 1969 (although I am not a historian and really didn't know about the Stonewall Riots)

Actually, using the "report" function allows any moderator or webmaster currently logged into the boards to react to the "report". If a moderator is away for a few days, a direct message may take that long for them to respond.
Flip side is I don't know how to report an entire thread. I can do individual posts, but that's not really the problem. By tagging them in the post I can list specific examples. Easier that way. Which button do you press to report an entire thread? Let me look around for a moment... :)

You could click any of the posts giving you the vapors and explain in the "report" box what is happening in thread that is violating the guidelines. Keep looking though, let us know if you find it.

Flip side is I don't know how to report an entire thread. I can do individual posts, but that's not really the problem. By tagging them in the post I can list specific examples. Easier that way. Which button do you press to report an entire thread? Let me look around for a moment... :)
When you report a post, it allows you to add a comment, in there you can express your concerns about the thread.

Personally, just because a "Thread" strikes a cord of controversy, I don't believe it should be locked/delete/etc... Name calling and violating TOS or blatant lies, yes, but controversial? No!

When you report a post, it allows you to add a comment, in there you can express your concerns about the thread.

Personally, just because a "Thread" strikes a cord of controversy, I don't believe it should be locked/delete/etc... Name calling and violating TOS or blatant lies, yes, but controversial? No!
Who do I call out though? That's my dilemma.

Except my issue lies in the fact that it has almost nothing to do with Disney News or Rumors. I feel like threads like these will almost always lead to hurt feelings and increasing rudeness. Controversial political and social debates are fine, but not here. This sub forum is all about a group of people who are passionate about Disney and sharing their ideas. We come from very different backgrounds, socio economic, cultural, ages, etc. We put all those differences aside because we love Walt Disney World and WDC. That's why I'm here. That's why most people are here. Letting someone who has made ten posts on the DIS ruin the fun little community and friendships we have here is stupid.

We've addressed the fact that the Castle Picture was from years ago, and that's that.

I'm not going to say anything else here.

You don't know my Orientation, so please don't assume you know what I have had to deal with (or not), and while it may be "Assumed" that people are straight until proved otherwise, that does not give anyone a right to shove their beliefs on me. If courts can force schools to NOT have a moment of prayer because it offends people who are atheists and can even prevent Christians to have their own private group in a school (not forced upon anyone else) then why do I have to accept the rainbow (as a symbol of LGBT) everywhere? YOUR argument about having to overcome the fear of telling parents something that the parents that they are gay is no different then a child telling their parents they got suspended or expelled from school or got arrested for smoking pot, or that they got someone pregnant (or themselves got pregnant). Some families take it better than others. Please don't use that as a means to counter my concern that I don't need it shoved in my face. I struggled to tell my mother that I was moving out at 18... Does that qualify me? I was really scared of how it would turn out so I guess it's okay.

IS there a time limit? I don't know. Should there be? I don't know. Am I intolerant? I don't think so. If I had only seen the "Rainbow" in the last week, maybe, but ALL of my life (slowly increasing it's presence). Personally I don't care about it. I am just tired of seeing it everywhere. TV, Newspaper, Magazines, Billboards, White House, Disney, Walmart, Bumper stickers, Facebook, etc.... EVERYWHERE. I get that there is pride and joy (at the recent ruling), but again, don't fault someone for having an opposing opinion.

Again, let me re-iterate, I am not anti-gay nor am I pro-straight. I am fairly neutral on the whole topic. Just tired of it waving in my face everywhere I turn. Lastly despite the fact that the LGBT Community are just now "Celebrating" the success, The banner has been waving since apparently 1969 (although I am not a historian and really didn't know about the Stonewall Riots)

I apologize for assuming your orientation, and I apologize if I came across as a negative Nancy. I was in the moment and did not mean to be so rude. I also wasn't trying to shove my beliefs on you, but you came to this thread and posted in it. All I did was reply to you. I'm also not sitting here and telling you that you need to accept it everywhere, I was more concerned about the fact that you wrote that you thought it was time to wrap everything up.

However, think about this, seeing a rainbow flag outside of an establishment lets the LGBTQA community know that they are welcome. When was the last time a straight person had to look for a symbol to let them know that they would be free from judgement?

Who do I call out though? That's my dilemma.

Except my issue lies in the fact that it has almost nothing to do with Disney News or Rumors. I feel like threads like these will almost always lead to hurt feelings and increasing rudeness. Controversial political and social debates are fine, but not here. This sub forum is all about a group of people who are passionate about Disney and sharing their ideas. We come from very different backgrounds, socio economic, cultural, ages, etc. We put all those differences aside because we love Walt Disney World and WDC. That's why I'm here. That's why most people are here. Letting someone who has made ten posts on the DIS ruin the fun little community and friendships we have here is stupid.

We've addressed the fact that the Castle Picture was from years ago, and that's that.

I'm not going to say anything else here.
go to http://www.disboards.com/threads/some-good-news-for-seaworld.3417119/ for a nice Controversial thread!

I apologize for assuming your orientation, and I apologize if I came across as a negative Nancy. I was in the moment and did not mean to be so rude. I also wasn't trying to shove my beliefs on you, but you came to this thread and posted in it. All I did was reply to you. I'm also not sitting here and telling you that you need to accept it everywhere, I was more concerned about the fact that you wrote that you thought it was time to wrap everything up.
Certainly I can understand that emotions can get the best of us, self included. I guess it's when we get passionate about a subject that we tend to sometimes let emotions drive us instead of logic, reason and/or common sense.

However, think about this, seeing a rainbow flag outside of an establishment lets the LGBTQA community know that they are welcome. When was the last time a straight person had to look for a symbol to let them know that they would be free from judgement?
This is almost my point. There is no symbol to look for, but it seems everyone else has one. If a "Straight" friendly establishment (whatever it may be) Had a symbol and they displayed it, then others would cry foul. Personally, I am of the mind set that either ALL the symbols should be gone or ALL Groups should have one. That is, after all what would be equal rights, right?

Personally, I think government is in too much of our business. The main reason for a Marriage License was for TAXES. Marriage was a thing for "Religion". If I love someone enough to want to spend the rest of my life with them, do I really need a piece of paper and/or a Priest/Clergy/JoP to say it's okay? I do if I want to deal with the government. (Okay, I don't want to deal with the government, I HAVE to.) It's just a way to exercise control.

Let me clear however. I am not opposed to SSM but because of issues like these (and their symbols of constant reminder) that they do nothing but further bigotry, prejudice and hate. I hate to be cliche' but "Can't we all just get along?"

Wait, did I come to the wrong board or something?

Why are we even talking about this on here?

Take the political drivel elsewhere please, I'm tired of reading it on every single source of social media, itd be nice to get a break from having to hear some other person's political BS for a change.

I thought someone was finally complaining about the castle show before the fireworks. I find the show kind of weird and creepy, especially when you can identify specific people. Plus, I always get a headache from it. I think I am liking it more now that I know it angers some people, but for different reasons:rotfl2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter