Am I the only one?

Most of us jump because it is a sad state. Three out of four of the snacks I bought last trip were stale. The dole whip wasn't. Kringlas were our all time favorite epcot snack. I won't pay for another. We tried three times. :/.

You are right. There are some things that are good. Out of 100's there certainly should be!! Moroccan is still our go to. Chicken is hard to ruin, etc.

We (family of 4) have never gone with the dining plans. Even when the kids were young we planned ahead. Knew our options and often shopped prior to checking in so we had at least breakfast. Now I think it's even easier. We all get what we want during the day and try to make a reservation somewhere with food options we can all enjoy. Just don't go overboard at the "fast food" places. The past few visits we've hit Downtown Disney for dinner and that's been great. Wolfgang Puck and Paradiso 37 were good. I think we just go into it knowing food there is expensive and may not be what we would choose at home, but its good and its only for a week.

I think it depends on where you are eating. DD has had some really good food at Disney. This will be the third year in a row on the plan for us. When I'm on vacation I prefer to not worry about cooking and storing food. My main priority on vacation is to relax.

I still love the pulled pork at Flame Tree, even though it gets trashed over and
None of this will matter to some people. They eat to live. They don't live to eat. So as long as they have something to put in their belly when it's mealtime, they are satisfied. For them, there is no difference between a cold sandwich on white bread and a steak with potato cooked to perfection.

OP, if preparing your own meals while on vacation is something you want to do, then by all means do it. No one should have to pay for overpriced food that leaves them disappointed. One of the reasons that we seldom eat out is that I can cook a better meal than what I can buy in most restaurants. But when I'm on vacation, I am willing to sacrifice a little in the way of cost and quality in order to get a little convenience.

I think this points to a very good observation Marionnette, it does depend on how you view your dining experiences, but I disagree that we jump on the "bandwagon" just for the sake of jumping on one.

See for me I'm the opposite. At home I don't eat out much (usually) for various reason so when I'm on vacation sit down meals are extremely important.
I don't want convenience, I want to leave the restaurant feeling like I got my money's worth and at least when some one asks me how my meal was I want to be able to say it was good.
Can I say that at Disney? 90% of the time I cannot. so what happens is that we leave wishing we had gone some one else or we are looking for some thing usually a dessert to eat because we really aren't satisfied.

I have young adults men, they will eat pretty much every thing and any thing including shoe leather with ketchup. every meal and I mean every meal at Disney we always go around the table asking how was the entrée. AT most I'll get an "eh, it's ok".

I don't mind the cost I fully expect to pay inflated prices as that's the norm for tourist destinations, but I do mind feeling like I wasted both time and money after a meal?

I'm a very picky eater so i thought it was just me. The last two times we went to Disney 2012 and 2013 I was like man most of the food here is gross. Some of the breakfast foods were good but most the entrees were just plain gross.

I think this points to a very good observation Marionnette, it does depend on how you view your dining experiences, but I disagree that we jump on the "bandwagon" just for the sake of jumping on one.

See for me I'm the opposite. At home I don't eat out much (usually) for various reason so when I'm on vacation sit down meals are extremely important.
I don't want convenience, I want to leave the restaurant feeling like I got my money's worth and at least when some one asks me how my meal was I want to be able to say it was good.
Can I say that at Disney? 90% of the time I cannot. so what happens is that we leave wishing we had gone some one else or we are looking for some thing usually a dessert to eat because we really aren't satisfied.

I have young adults men, they will eat pretty much every thing and any thing including shoe leather with ketchup. every meal and I mean every meal at Disney we always go around the table asking how was the entrée. AT most I'll get an "eh, it's ok".

I don't mind the cost I fully expect to pay inflated prices as that's the norm for tourist destinations, but I do mind feeling like I wasted both time and money after a meal?

I agree with Eliza. We don't eat out much at home either, so if I am paying the Disney price, I want to leave with a decent experience. I'm tired of being disappointed at every meal. The dining experience at Disney is an ongoing downward spiral. If they want my dollars back, they will need to improve the dining experience, mainly the food.

I agree with the PP. I think too for us that have been around pre Dining Plan days, we remember when the food was just better. Yes, it was still expensive, but to be expected.

Now the meals aren't just expensive, they are outrageous. The quality is way down. And for us, the variety is way down. It feels like the same couple dishes are at each resaurant with just a few variations. The kids meals are basically the same no matter where you go.

Disney does an awesome job catering to allergies/food modifications. I am sure first timers and infrequent guests love it because it is a huge step up from typical theme park food. But for those who have been around a long time, it is just a hard pill to swallow the lack of quality and the prices anymore. Then add onto that the stress of making ADR's, the no show policy, etc and we just get more and more annoyed with the whole Disney restaurant thing. Its a shame too, because we used to really enjoy it. I'd say its been the last 3 years or so that it has really gotten bad.

The Disney restaurants to me has a good beneficial to them.

I hardly eat there anymore. Tremendous help on my weight.

How bad is it? Last time we tried Golden Corral and enjoyed it over Disney. Now that's bad.

The Disney restaurants to me has a good beneficial to them.

I hardly eat there anymore. Tremendous help on my weight.

How bad is it? Last time we tried Golden Corral and enjoyed it over Disney. Now that's bad.

This!!!!

I've never gained weight at Disney, but I definitely loose it now. The food and the exercise used to cancel each other out. Not anymore! Thanks to all! I am definitely not the only one out there feeling the same way. I still have not made any more ADR's. Still only have the one on the night of the Villain party. I still plan on more food options in the room and dining offsite. Trying some local places. Watching the group on type sites for deals.

This is a new way of doing Disney for us and I'm excited about it. Yes...I am getting excited to grocery shop and have some meals in my resort room, lol!

We have noticed the decline in quality. And the kids meals have always sucked.

I'm having fun picking places that seem to not be as overpriced and also have different choices on the menu. Places like Plaza, LTT, Kona (paid OOP while on the plan), Trail End's, etc.

It can go both ways for kids at times. My kids don't eat typical kids meals at home. We eat mostly authentic Puerto Rican food at home. My grandma also babysits so it's basically all they eat. Sometimes eating at certain places can be difficult, not because it's not chicken nuggets or pizza. But because it's not the Puerto Rican food they are used to eating. It's nothing with true flavor. It's bland and boring. Even the "better" kids options are bland.

At FTBBQ they love the ribs or pork sandwich. At CHH they like the big adult nuggets. At CR's they go crazy over the burgers. They love the taco's at La Hacienda. The lo mein in China. The egg rolls in MK. The Samoan at Kona.

My kids also tend to go for adult meals and I allow them to get them because it has more variety and something they will like better. DS is 14 but DD is only 8. DD has a better palette than DS.

The decline in food quality & highly inflated prices are one of the main reasons we prefer to stay offisite now. We will have our own kitchen- with a stop at the grocery store to pick up better quality foods. Even dinner offsite has better food quality and for a fraction of the price. I hate spending easily $100 on a dinner at Disney and thinking it was medicore at best. Im so glad my kids are over character meals. We will grab a few quick service but other than that, we are done with Disney food!

Veering slightly off topic, but I was thinking today about our first trip in '04. My son was almost 5 and he ate lots of kids' meals, which were fine for him at the time. Each time we ate a TS meal, he got a cute plastic cup for his drink. We brought them home and used them for years after. One from Epcot had the spaceship earth on it. Very neat to have to remember his trip. We still have the AK one. I know it is a little thing, but he just loved it. The next year, the cups were gone. Everything has become generic. My son has outgrown such things, but our grandkids would enjoy them, if they were still available. People have been noticing the lower quality in souvenirs as well as the food. The mugs used to be resort specific as well as the items in each shop. No more. New visitors won't even miss these things, but the long time fans do.

I think it boils down to expectation. Disney is feeding the masses. So I expect it to be chain food quality:sick: not fine dinning, but fine dinning prices.

I do agree the quality has gone downhill.

I think it boils down to expectation. Disney is feeding the masses. So I expect it to be chain food quality:sick: not fine dinning, but fine dinning prices.

I do agree the quality has gone downhill.

That's not really true though Lauradis,

for example. Le Cellier (and all the restaurants) have a maximum capacity. So let's say they can serve 100 people per hour and are open 10 hours. the number of plates is easily calculated. (My uncle and grandfather ran a ny city restaurant for most of my childhood). So while "Disney" may feed the masses, in reality each establishment does not.
Le Cellier probably does not serve any more people than say a Mortons steak house in Hollywood.

Restaurants run on very small profit margins so most know exactly how many people they get, how many steaks they will serve on a Tuesday night and how much each dish will cost.

Now my second issue with quality is consistency. iMO why is it that the restaurants are so "hit or miss"? A well run place should have the same consistency night after night after night. Now sure I buy into anyone has a bad night but some of these places are getting reputations for being bad.

lastly most folks aren't really talking fine dining. In fact most of us who have been labeled as complainers know that in order to get a decent meal you have to move up to "signature" dining but come on, any first year culinary student should be able to whip up a half way decent marinara sauce.. Ive seen kids at Tony's spit out the spaghetti. LOL.

just my take

Our last trip, I cancelled many of our ADR's as I had enough of yucky, expensive food. We did have some great CS meals, including an excellent lobster roll at Boardwalk Bakery (was much better than any TS I had this year). Sunshine Seasons, very good pork chop! I agree the kids meals are laughable. I had a kids meal, turkey sandwich at HS on the fish shaped bread with the paltry mini bag of blah carrots, really??? best they can do :( was horrible. I would rather fresh, healthy food. We probably cooked in the villa more this trip than any other and will continue to do more and more on vacations because we like good food and eat more organic whole foods at home.

Oh boy, I hear you! I tried the turkey on fish bread too:rotfl:...and let's not forget the 'previously frozen' pb&j sandwiches, I mean could they at least put the pb&j on some fresh bread??

Disney food quality has been steadily declining. I remember eating breakfast as a young girl at the Top of The World and it was fantastic. We first started bringing our family in 2004, did a lot of buffets they were good, really good, fresh produce and food. Fast forward to 2014, waste of time and money. I really wish they put in a Whole Foods with take out prepared foods on Disney property.

That's not really true though Lauradis,

for example. Le Cellier (and all the restaurants) have a maximum capacity. So let's say they can serve 100 people per hour and are open 10 hours. the number of plates is easily calculated. (My uncle and grandfather ran a ny city restaurant for most of my childhood). So while "Disney" may feed the masses, in reality each establishment does not.
Le Cellier probably does not serve any more people than say a Mortons steak house in Hollywood.

Restaurants run on very small profit margins so most know exactly how many people they get, how many steaks they will serve on a Tuesday night and how much each dish will cost.

Now my second issue with quality is consistency. iMO why is it that the restaurants are so "hit or miss"? A well run place should have the same consistency night after night after night. Now sure I buy into anyone has a bad night but some of these places are getting reputations for being bad.

lastly most folks aren't really talking fine dining. In fact most of us who have been labeled as complainers know that in order to get a decent meal you have to move up to "signature" dining but come on, any first year culinary student should be able to whip up a half way decent marinara sauce.. Ive seen kids at Tony's spit out the spaghetti. LOL.

just my take

I think one reason for inconsistency might be that Disney does tend to move the management people and cooking staff from one restaurant to another quite often. At other restaurants, the same head chef could be there for years - even his whole working life - but that rarely happens at Disney. I know the manager at Le Cellier moved to Be Our Guest when it was opening, for example. And I've practically stalked Chef TJ (beloved by all vegans!) as he moved from Boma to Ohana to 1900 Park Fare to Trail's End. So there is quite a bit of movement among the staff, for whatever reason.

Also, at the Epcot restaurants, the servers are primarily young people on the International Program. They are hired on a one-year contract, and move through stages. My two sons worked in the Canadian pavilion, and were first on the popcorn stand, then at the front desk (checking in guests), then bussing tables, then expediting food, and then finally working as servers. Then, after several months of serving, their contracts are up and new people come in. So you are getting a constant rotation of new (and less experienced) servers through those restaurants.

From my sons' experience, one of the challenges is meeting the demands of many of their guests. They don't want "fancy." They don't want "spicy." They want their steaks well done. They don't want any unfamiliar ingredients.

I know that every Disney restaurant that started out with different food tastes, spicier food, etc., ends up getting blander - because that's what guests keep asking for. I remember Boma in the early years - you would walk in and smell all those wonderful African spices and the flavours were outstanding. I still like Boma, but it is a long way from what it was - and that's because they got complaints that the food was "too spicy" and "too weird." And look at Kouzzina - offering something a bit different with the Greek flavours. We loved it, but it closed. People who eat mostly fast food want food that tastes like fast food.

TP

If you check out the menus ahead of time, your kids don't have to eat only burgers, pizza, and nuggets. They can get salads, steak, grilled fish, meatloaf, pasta of all sorts, and many other things. If all you think Disney offers is pizzanuggetsburgers, then you haven't looked.

I've done meals in the room before, but no way would I do that for the majority of my meals. Dining out is part of vacation. I still get excited when it is time to book my ADRs, and I still end up with more of them than I had planned on.

Yes, I agonized over each menu before our trip, scouted everything out. One trip with the DDP was still more than enough. I hated limiting my kids to kids meals, and even then, would order OOP some healthier things. Which lead to the best course of action for my family being what I described below, we order adult entrees for them. The adult meals are far closer to the kind of foods we eat at home, and have a better chance of including whole, real food, and not compressed chicken parts, pink slime beef parts and vaseline cheese.

This is why I don't do the Dining Plan! I don't want to limit my kids to this junk. They don't even like a constant stream of pizzanuggestburgers. Disney isn't feeding this to kids, the parents of the kids are.

Without the dining plan I am free to order off of the adult menu for my kids. Sometimes I will split my meals with one of them, or they each order their own and I'll share a bit from each. Sometimes we all 4 order our own meals and enjoy them. I spend so much at home on our whole, fresh, organic food, what's a few extra bucks at Disney?

I think it's what a PP said.....Disney keeps the kids meals gross and disgusting so the adults don't order kids meals for themselves.

We pay OOP and let our kids order adult meals. It works for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter