Am I the only one?

Nope not the only one! FD isn't available our week and the room discount would have made our existing package go up a dollar and some change! LOL I just laughed and got over it immediately. I am just happy to be going to be honest. While a discount would have been nice, I never expected to get one especially during Jersey Week to begin with. I do think that once you are booked with the ticket prices before the increase, you should be able to keep that price no matter what, but whatever.

Ignore the nay sayers, you will enjoy your trip. POP is a great resort for first timers they have a great bus system and it is not a large as some make it out to be. The only down side for me of POP is the food court, good food, but it is still a food court. The pools, I doubt you'll be spending much time in them, are good just no fancy slides. The advantage of DDP is also nice for first timers, however do not get shocked by the gratuities they are a sore point for some. The only thing I will add is I hope you have made all your ADR's and have a good time.:cool1:

myzel said:
The advantage of DDP is also nice for first timers, however do not get shocked by the gratuities they are a sore point for some. The only thing I will add is I hope you have made all your ADR's and have a good time.:cool1:

The gratuities shown are standard restaurant industry amounts. Between 15 and 20 percent is standard based on the level of service.

It is done because the bill people see only shows what they had to pay OOP and they do not know how much their final bill actually was - which is what you should leave a tip based on your actual bill before the DDP was taken to account.

It is even worse I think when people have FD. We traveled with a couple who I found out at the end of the week never left one tip at all of our meals. I was upset, because I eat out almost every night and I tip very well. They thought free dining meant free of tip....as well.

The gratuities shown are standard restaurant industry amounts. Between 15 and 20 percent is standard based on the level of service.

It is done because the bill people see only shows what they had to pay OOP and they do not know how much their final bill actually was - which is what you should leave a tip based on your actual bill before the DDP was taken to account.

It is even worse I think when people have FD. We traveled with a couple who I found out at the end of the week never left one tip at all of our meals. I was upset, because I eat out almost every night and I tip very well. They thought free dining meant free of tip....as well.

Tip used to be included I heard. It is industry standard but the buffets at Disney have inflated prices because they have characters but you are paying a percent if that - which can be a surprise to some! Many people are not used to paying between $20.00 and the $70.00 we pay someone to clear our plates. It is good to be prepared ahead of time.

Mom2six said:
Tip used to be included I heard. It is industry standard but the buffets at Disney have inflated prices because they have characters but you are paying a percent if that - which can be a surprise to some! Many people are not used to paying between $20.00 and the $70.00 we pay someone to clear our plates. It is good to be prepared ahead of time.

It is included with parties over 6.

It is included with parties over 6.

INDEED, I get angry at the parties of 6 rule... I have worked quite a few serving jobs, and I tip based on service, and I tip WELL for good service. I know how hard servers can work. BUT, I also know, that SOME servers, only some, and not my style or most server's styles, but some servers when they know there is an automatic gratuity, the service just drops right off. They don't have to work for it anymore.

BUT, what I also think is bad, after talking to a couple servers on our last trip, is that, despite clear statements, people on the DP think their gratuity is included in the bill. And people will leave nothing for servers .... that part, not cool.

People need to know that the servers wage is really their tips, and tips are NOT included, even on DP, with parties 6 or under.

INDEED, I get angry at the parties of 6 rule... I have worked quite a few serving jobs, and I tip based on service, and I tip WELL for good service. I know how hard servers can work. BUT, I also know, that SOME servers, only some, and not my style or most server's styles, but some servers when they know there is an automatic gratuity, the service just drops right off. They don't have to work for it anymore.

BUT, what I also think is bad, after talking to a couple servers on our last trip, is that, despite clear statements, people on the DP think their gratuity is included in the bill. And people will leave nothing for servers .... that part, not cool.

People need to know that the servers wage is really their tips, and tips are NOT included, even on DP, with parties 6 or under.

Last time we went, the process to actually charge the top to the room was so hazy that I had two meals where the tip never made it onto my room bill.

You're not the only one. I did not get a discount either, but I also booked before the price hike in June.

We are 2 adults and a 9 year old, staying 8 nights at POR Preferred room. Our package is just under $3,000 and that doesn't include dining. We are not doing DDP this year, the numbers just don't make sense for us.

We stayed at Pop last year and we thought it was great. The downside to me was no pool slide, but we are staying at Pop again in January. We loved the icons, the food court (although I hear they've changed the menu), and the bus service was fantastic. AoA wasn't completed yet then so getting to walk over there to tour it would be another plus.

Anyhow, I feel kinda sick when I think about how much money we are spending, but I really think it will be all worth it in the end. I am glad that we did at least book early and got the resort and room type we wanted (at least, what we wanted in our price range, not that the CR or BC wouldn't be great! lol).

tink20 said:
We paid full price (no discounts for our first 2 trips....in 2007 & 2008)
At least when you go for 6 days, the park tickets are cheaper per day. Last June, we were down in Orlando to go to SW and BG. Last minute, we planned to spend one day at MK.....spent a little over $300 (for 3) for one day....it was worth it though!

Go and have fun!:goodvibes

I actually have some non expiring passes that I do not plan on using this trip. They will be valuable on a shorter trip in the future.

dimndgal1 said:
We found that DD made a big dent in making the DDP worthwhile. She definitely came out well ahead by the end of our stay. Also, make sure to use your refillable mugs as much as possible - whenever we got back to our resort, DH would go fill our mugs while I unloaded and sorted all our daily shopping/sunblock/et al. I would also go run first thing in the morning while DH started getting DD going.

I HIGHLY recommend looking up the list of snacks that are on the DDP and seeking out the biggest bang-for-your-buck. We let our DD 'splurge' on her snacks last year: Dole Whip, Ice cream sandwiches, and some of the nicer desserts at EPCOT. You will be there over Food and Wine Festival, so there are AMPLE opportunities to get some awesome treats that run $5+ as a snack credit... it's a lot easier to let your girls enjoy a treat like that when you don't have to worry about sticker shock ;)

Another thing we learned is that you get a drink WITH your meal, so if you are eating at the resort, you can fill your mug with a drink, and get a sealed drink from the cooler. We would get milk or orange juice, put it in our resort fridge and then would pay OOP for a muffin or some eggs and bacon in the morning so we didn't use a QS credit and could save it for later.

There are TONS of hints on how to maximize your DDP that are relatively simple - I picked up most on the board. We only decided to do it so that my in-laws wouldn't pick the cheapest items on the menu and would actually ENJOY their meals... we knew we'd be lucky to break even, but in the end we came out far ahead and got to try a variety of fantastic entrees I would never have touched if I paid OOP

I feel like I could start a new thread on how to maximize the ddp. With the potential of not having a fridge those bottled beverages could come in handy with a small cooler or whatever we end up going with. The lack of a fridge is starting to interfere with my grocery list...

jperrot1 said:
I wonder is the swan and dolphin have a discount during your dates. We have at Swan and they are nice rooms. The location is nice (Epcot Area).

They actually have teacher discounts at certain times throughout the year, but not October... Plus I can't afford that with as discount. :)

Shaden said:

Fortunately, we are good tippers. It's just like people paying with gift cards or using coupons who aren't sure what amount to tip on and end up not leaving enough... however, on the ddp , is the total posted on the receipt so that we can tip accordingly? Didn't even think of that till now...

freckles04 said:
You're not the only one. I did not get a discount either, but I also booked before the price hike in June.

We are 2 adults and a 9 year old, staying 8 nights at POR Preferred room. Our package is just under $3,000 and that doesn't include dining. We are not doing DDP this year, the numbers just don't make sense for us.

We stayed at Pop last year and we thought it was great. The downside to me was no pool slide, but we are staying at Pop again in January. We loved the icons, the food court (although I hear they've changed the menu), and the bus service was fantastic. AoA wasn't completed yet then so getting to walk over there to tour it would be another plus.

Anyhow, I feel kinda sick when I think about how much money we are spending, but I really think it will be all worth it in the end. I am glad that we did at least book early and got the resort and room type we wanted (at least, what we wanted in our price range, not that the CR or BC wouldn't be great! lol).

Thanks! I do need to remember too that this isn't as typical vacation for us. We are slow paced beach people. We passed up two destination weddings this fall for Disney because we had already been planning it so I think I am freaking out about what I am in for vs what I passed up. I guess I am lucky to be worried about that though. :)

We are going the Wed after Labor day for 5 days. It was what we could afford. We got a good rate-30 per cent off and then got the offer of the free dining plan.
It made it very expensive. While 'free' dining would be nice, after speaking to many people on the board, it probably wouldn't be worth it because our room rate would be not discounted and that was expensive at POR.
Since it's just the two of us, and we are looking to save money, we opted for the room only discount, bought our tickets through undercover tourist, and will pay out of pockets for our meals. After alot of advice on the boards, we decided it was our best option. We don't want to have to stop being where we are to stop and go to a meal, as we haven't been to Disney together. I did book the Wishes Dessert party, and pre paid that, because husband loves his desserts and we thought it would be a lovely relaxed way to watch Wishes.

We figure-and we're hoping we'll have a fridge-we'll get some cereal and milk and maybe have some of that in the mornings some mornings. We'll let everyone know how it works out for us.

Fortunately, we are good tippers. It's just like people paying with gift cards or using coupons who aren't sure what amount to tip on and end up not leaving enough... however, on the ddp , is the total posted on the receipt so that we can tip accordingly? Didn't even think of that till now...

Yes it is! We used DDP last trip (we did LOTS of character meals as it was DS first trip) and the total was on the receipt. We always tipped in cash but you can charge the tip to your room also.

Going during the discounted price window, yet NOT getting any discounts? I feel like I'm getting ripped off!! I found out that if I accepted a discount, the room would get a little cheaper but the tickets and DP went up so it actually increased my total. I was truly looking forward to a discount and am jealous of everyone getting deals. I just need some reassurance that 3000 dollars for a week long vacation to Disney is worth it for the 4 of us. (6 day base tickets, DDP, staying at Pop)

And, I purchased airfare separately, so that's not included in that price. Please make me feel better. :sad:

Do you take a family vacation every year? Where and how much does it cost? A family of 4 for $3,000 for everything is cheap to me! Our trip for 4, meals OOP, is going to cost us around $4,000 to $4,500 depending on what we eat and spend. I think it's a good value for what you get.

We are fortunate enough to vacation every year and to have access a beach house which costs us very little. We have also taken expensive trips to Europe and Jamaica in the past, costing us as much as this Disney trip. Maybe I am lucky with prices then or maybe I am too frugal...

marymaya said:
We are fortunate enough to vacation every year and to have access a beach house which costs us very little. We have also taken expensive trips to Europe and Jamaica in the past, costing us as much as this Disney trip. Maybe I am lucky with prices then or maybe I am too frugal...

Right, but those trips to Europe and Jamaica did niot include broadway style shows, endless entertainment, and themed attractions did they? That, IMO, makes a trip to WDW more than worth the price.

From reading an earlier post where someone priced out the package for you, even with the new discounts, you were saving $100 by going with your travel agent, I would say you've gotten a pretty good deal!! My DH and I are going in Sept. While I can't compare our resort stay to yours, we are paying $2500, not including airfare. It's just the 2 of us staying at Poly 4 nights, 4 day PH tickets, and FD bounce back offer (believe it or not we actually saved more money with this than the RO discount that came out in June.

Sent from my Galaxy SII

Yeah, you are probably right. It's our first time going so we really don't know what we are in for!

marymaya said:
Yeah, you are probably right. It's our first time going so we really don't know what we are in for!

Oh, you will be in for a surprise, in a good way!!!! It will be like no place you have ever been.

Sent from my Galaxy SII

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter