• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Am I the Only One Who Feels Down After Its Over?

Definitely a common feeling. What I do to get over being down is to start planning our next trip, even if we don’t have plans to go back any time soon. It helps to bring back the great memories of our trip.

:grouphug: This is to ALL of us poor pathetic souls....:sad1::sad1::sad1: We are all right there with you OP

The sadness is both good and bad. It makes me really enjoy the time I am there knowing how hard it is to leave. I have never appreciated a vacation like I do when I am at Disney, and we do other non-disney trips. I guess that is why we all care so much. They are good at what they do.

True confession: I craned my neck back on the last ride of the last day on Spaceship Earth to prolong the view of the stars. Pathetic...I know.

Totally understand it. I actually start to feel that way about 3/4 of the trip...knowing that it's ending soon. My saving grace is getting home and start planning for the next one. Been on everyday since my trip ending mid March, trying to decide if we should go in the Summer or Fall during Food and Wine Festival. Would love to do both, but time doesn't permit it. ....Oh well:thumbsup2

NH born and raised here :thumbsup2
- but now far, far away across the country.

I am the ugly broad crying her eyes out in MK on the last day.
every. single . trip. If you are there on the 18th this month and see a middle aged woman sobbing, it will be me.

how do I deal? I bought an AP and go every year!

I totally get anyone getting upset. Seeing everyone at MCO getting on a plane, no one is smiling. :sad1:

I'm pretty sure we all have a disorder...or we are warped...but I love it!

The video on ME when Mickey says "see ya real soon" always gets me, but I can cry at the drop of a hat!

Counting the days til September...

:thumbsup2

Now, for the reason we feel down after a Disney trip......
Its because now, we have nothing to do.
Think about it, we spend 6 months to a year, or maybe more, planning this trip. Everything from;
--deciding when to go.
--checking emails from Disney Destinations for that coveted PIN code.
--reading Disboards
--calling reservation to see if you have a PIN code
--waiting for public discounts to go live
--planning which parks on which days
--reading Disboards
--planning ADR's
--waiting for 180+10
--making ADR's
--checking for MK's desert party ressie to go live.
--waiting for Mickey mail
--checking WDW.com every day to look at "My reservation"
--And of course readiing Disboards every day.
ITS A FULL TIME JOB!!
What do we do when we get back from a trip?
go right back to work on the next trip.

Anyone want to add to the list of things we endlessly do to prep for our trips.

So true, TeamBlack!

--asking for time off of your job to go on vacation.
--explaining to your friends why you want to go...AGAIN.
--purchasing plane tickets and watching the travel sites every day for the best deal.
--ordering trading pins on Ebay because they are cheaper.:worship:

Our first trip (even for dh and I) was Nov. 2010. I think I've been on the disboards every day since we got back planning our next trip! :rotfl:

I have a disney obsessed friend and I didn't really get why they kept going back each year, until we went. There's something about the feeling you get while there. Maybe it's just being together as a family without interruptions or other obligations.

Definately felt depressed the first while, knowing it would be a couple of years before we could afford to go back again. I think part of it was having the long winter afterwards, with nothing to look forward to.

We're planning for Feb 2013, so have something mid minus 30 weather to look forward to! :cool1:

My DD-21 and her room mate 21 went to WDW for Spring Break. My daughter had a great time. The last time we went as a family was when she marched with her high school band in MK 4 years ago.

On the day she was leaving she called me from the Generation Gap Bridge at Pop crying her eyes out. She had scrimped and saved for a year:worship: for this stay and had such a wonderful time she didn't want to leave. Needles to say she and I vowed to plan a trip together for 2013! So we are saving and planning. :woohoo:

You are not alone!

We took our first-ever family Disney trip last year and I was soooo not prepared for that post-Disney sadness. We have had many great (non-Disney) vacations over the years, and I always get a little bit of that "post-vacation/re-entering the real world" letdown---but nothing like coming home from Disney! The horrible sadness, down-in-the-dumps feeling, and downright depression hit me like a ton of bricks and lasted for weeks afterward.

I remember crying as soon as we got on the Magical Express, and that video they show didn't help my mental state (especially the "see ya real soon"--was that really necessary, Mickey?? it was like a knife in the heart). On the drive home from the airport I said to my dh, "I'm planning out our next trip in my head." I said it kind of jokingly, because we really weren't planning on going back any time soon....but two weeks after getting home, we booked our next trip. :love:

Walking down Main Street for the last time during 2009 trip:

Me (tears running out the bottom of sunglasses)
DBF: Honey are you crying?
Me: yes
DBF: aw....don't cry we'll come back.
Me: do you promise?
DBF: yes

after this we had 2 other FL vacations planned and it KILLED me to drive by the WDW signs on the highway. Luckily my sister planned a November 2011 trip and they wanted me to go. Since I had just gotten back from one of our vacations I could only go the first 4 days of their week trip. However, while I was there I did manage to pass on the obsession to my nephews :woohoo:

about a week after they got back, my sister e-mailed me and said my 5 year old nephew had been crying himself asleep for a week demanding to know: WHY did we have to leave disney world?, WHEN are we going back?, and WHY did Aunt Jen have to leave early?

Needless to say...I cracked up. Luckily DBF and I are just starting to plan an April 2013 trip so he's finally off the hook (everytime we see a Disney commercial on TV he gets the sad puppy eyes)!

I most definitely get the Disney blues! The only thing that chases them away is planning my next trip, whether it be to WDW or DCL.

I'm like a junkie-I NEED to have a Disney trip countdown on my iPhone!

The good news is that I now have my husband convinced that ONE DAY we will live near Walt Disney World. (or if we are really-Golden Oak! :banana:)

So that also helps with my Disney blues-knowing one day I'll be able to go whenever I want.

But I cry "MousekeTEARS" when I leave the MK on our last night. I walk down Main Street, turn around and say, "Goodbye. See ya real soon!" It is like saying goodbye to an old friend and it truly hurts. :sad1:

i actually start getting the blues when I arrive b/c I know it will soon be over. I'm still happy to be there but every day that goes by I have that little voice in the back of my head going "another day closer to going home". It's sad. :sad2:

Your not the only one out there as you can see from all these posts. After my trip in February it was really hard for me for about the first month. :sad1:The first week was the worst because in my head I would catch myself saying, "This time last week we were doing ____ at Disney." It was horrible. I did some crying and my sister and I talked about how much fun we had with our families going together. She had the Disney blues also. Now I'm in the first stages of planning a trip for 2013, planning is half the fun for me.

You are not alone :grouphug: Coming home from Disney is the worst. The onyl way I get through it is planning my next trip!

I used to get sad(never cried though, I dont cry easily), but it's gotten better. I have things to look forward to at home and family that I've missed.

I also go every year, so its not as bad.

Now, for the reason we feel down after a Disney trip......
Its because now, we have nothing to do.
Think about it, we spend 6 months to a year, or maybe more, planning this trip. Everything from;
--deciding when to go.
--checking emails from Disney Destinations for that coveted PIN code.
--reading Disboards
--calling reservation to see if you have a PIN code
--waiting for public discounts to go live
--planning which parks on which days
--reading Disboards
--planning ADR's
--waiting for 180+10
--making ADR's
--checking for MK's desert party ressie to go live.
--waiting for Mickey mail
--checking WDW.com every day to look at "My reservation"
--And of course readiing Disboards every day.
ITS A FULL TIME JOB!!
What do we do when we get back from a trip?
go right back to work on the next trip.

Anyone want to add to the list of things we endlessly do to prep for our trips.

So true, TeamBlack!

--asking for time off of your job to go on vacation.
--explaining to your friends why you want to go...AGAIN.
--purchasing plane tickets and watching the travel sites every day for the best deal.
--ordering trading pins on Ebay because they are cheaper.:worship:

You've both hit the nail on the head :thumbsup2....but I would not have it any other way :goodvibes.

i actually start getting the blues when I arrive b/c I know it will soon be over. I'm still happy to be there but every day that goes by I have that little voice in the back of my head going "another day closer to going home". It's sad. :sad2:

I havent been to DW since I was 13-ish...that was 20 years ago. I now get to take my DD for her 5th birthday and after reading your post, I am already teary-eyed thinking about having to walk out of the Magic Kingdom with her on our last night.

I am a crier though. I will probably cry when we surprise her with the trip and cry when we get there and cry when we show her the castle for the first time and cry when she meets Mickey and the Princesses...Poor DH will be so confused.

Ok, if any of you see a woman walking around with a box of Kleenex in May, lol, that is me!:thumbsup2

Must get waterproof Mascara!

You are DEFINITELY not alone! I know I'll be experiencing this on my next trip. BUT, I'm planning a surprise trip for us in January after we return from a cruise. We'll already be in Florida, so why not :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter