Am I the only one that wishes the BLT lounge would be adults only?

I'd say adults only in the lounge, but everyone welcome in the viewing area.

There are adults that are every bit as obnoxious as kids that haven't been taught how to behave. Neither is better (or worse) than the other.

We watched the fireworks from inside because it was a little less loud and a little less frightening for my young son. Who could argue that he should not be allowed in the TOTWL?

Disney cruise ships have FREE (or "included") daycare places for kids. WDW and DLR do NOT. That's the difference.
Thank you for saying this. My thought when I read this thread was, the idea itself is kinda neat, but for those of us who have younger children, do you expect us to leave them unsupervised in the room so that we can go to TOTWL? Or should parents forgo the privilege so that others could quietly contemplate the fireworks? I'd be curious to see what the stats are on how many people go to WDW sans-children, and within that I'd imagine the percentage would be higher for DVC, but still more families than childless groups.
I want to see this lounge (hope its still available Dec 2012 when we go!), and we will have my DS6 at the time with us since we can't leave him with the in-laws like we do when we go to DLR. I don't think that DH and I should have to take turns going up to see fireworks alone because some children misbehave and others don't. If my child gets obnoxious (and yes, all children can be obnoxious at some point though the behavior can and should be modified by parents), I would take him out of the lounge, and I would hope that a CM would say something to a guest of any age who was behaving inappropriately at a DVC resort.

I say no because I am planning on going there on my DD's 9th birthday to watch the fireworks.

I would love to see adults only spaces at WDW. But not TOTWL... it's a special place to be shared by all.

It's WDW, the sound of kids is expected, imo if the adult would keep the child within arms' reach while in the lounge no need to restrict children.

We enjoyed the lounge a few times last October:thumbsup2. Only 1 incident where parents allowed their young kids (i'd guess 5 - 7 in age) to play a game of tag for some time while they enjoyed their cocktails marred the overall experience. it's up to the management to keep the peace;)

Congratulations to you too! May 1986, doesn't it feel like yesterday?:) where did you go on a honeymoon, we went to Bermuda, it was a blast. Your trip sounds awesome, we'll actually be spending a lot of our trip with our oldest son who is a CM at the Studios. Have fun![/QUOTE

We actually honeymooned at WDW. We stayed at the Poly. Did not make it back again until our 2 boys were 9 and 7. They are now 21 and 19. I wish one of them would work for Disney! Our actually anniversary is the 18th. We are having dinner that evening at Victoria & Albert for the first time. What day is your actual anniversary?

Congratulations to you too! May 1986, doesn't it feel like yesterday?:) where did you go on a honeymoon, we went to Bermuda, it was a blast. Your trip sounds awesome, we'll actually be spending a lot of our trip with our oldest son who is a CM at the Studios. Have fun![/QUOTE

We actually honeymooned at WDW. We stayed at the Poly. Did not make it back again until our 2 boys were 9 and 7. They are now 21 and 19. I wish one of them would work for Disney! Our actually anniversary is the 18th. We are having dinner that evening at Victoria & Albert for the first time. What day is your actual anniversary?

That sounds awesome! We are celebrating ours at Jiko, we've never been and it sounds really good. Our actual anniversary is the 24th, but we're celebrating it on the Sat. night before.

I do not think it should be adults only. Frankly, it (and most lounges at WDW) could not operate as adults only, there simply would not be enough buisiness. Maybe no kids after 10pm would be a good comprimise?

Maybe its just me, but as long as I don't have to be watching MY kids, I can tune other kids out and relax most anywhere (provided they aren't totally wild and disruptive.)

Victoria Falls (the lounge in AKL above Boma) is one of my very favorite places to relax. I was unsure about hanging out in there with my kids at first but the bartender quickly pointed out that the drink menu has kids drinks! :goodvibes So now we go there every trip and order a round for everyone including the kids with the lighted lemonades.

My girls are well behaved and I have no problem taking them to upscale restaurants. I don't think it is a matter of banning kids, but a matter of the staff knowing how to handle disruptive behavior by anyone, including kids and adults.

Jen

No, I don't agree that it should be adults only.

Intriguing idea. My son has unique, never-taught, ideas ALL the time.

What are you referring to with the PP mention?

Liquor laws in WA are such that many of the restaurants we like to go to are actually bars/brewpubs that also sell food. Law prevents minors from going right up to the bar, or into the exact bar area (at our fave place the separation line is where the horse stalls once were in the old firehouse, so there are openings and there's more open space than actual wall), but in the places they are more than welcome until a certain hour.

Some of my best, warmest, memories of being with my parents were in lounges. Listening to my aunt's husband play with his band at the Grand Canyon hotel's lounge. Hanging out at Hog's Head Inn (pub?) in Carmel CA when Clint Eastwood owned the place, drinking Shirley Temples and feeling so grown up at 11, talking maturely with my mom and stepdad... And DS LOVES going to the fave place that was an engine house, and having an Izze soda (safe ingredients for him and tasty) with his dad as I have a brew. He feels the same as I did...it's a special thing to get to be a grownup along with your parents before you're actually a grownup.:lovestruc

Disney cruise ships have FREE (or "included") daycare places for kids. WDW and DLR do NOT. That's the difference.

And isn't the piano bar at BW for adults only? So there is a place. One place, but still...a place.

Yes, BW has Jellyrolls but it's hardly a quiet, relaxing place to sit, enjoy a glass of wine and unwind a bit!! Not even close.

So....do I think ToTWL should be for adults only?? It would be nice, but it isn't going to happen any time soon. The vast majority of guests go up there to watch the fireworks. We were in the lounge area several times last August. We got there about 40 mins before the fireworks so we could relax a bit and enjoy the quiet. There were no kids around. But, about 20 mins before the fireworks started, a family came into the lounge area, and the kids were less than well behaved. They were yelling and jumping about...bouncing off those big cushioned ottomans in the lounge! It was so distracting. And they never ordered anything...the parents just sat there and chatted. Then, as more and more people came up to see the fireworks, the family moved outside..to the deck area. A very few people went inside to get a drink. Then, as soon as the fireworks were over, the place emptied. The next time we went up, we took my almost 17 y/o dd with us. She got a soda and we sat and relaxed before heading out to the viewing deck. When the fireworks were over, there were a bunch of people (adults) inside, at the lounge having drinks and some food. It was nice to see someone up there, enjoying the lounge rather than just hanging there until the fireworks started.

I have read accounts of guests bringing up bags with their own snacks and drinks..then sitting at a table in the lounge, and eating it. Never buying anything there. I have also heard reports from some complaining about the food offerings not being what their kids like.

So, nothing is going to please everyone. I have no problem with kids up there, in the lounge. I just ask that they be expected to behave properly..rather than be ignored by their parents.

I have no problem with kids at the Totwl as long as they are acting respectful and make no more noise than any respectful adult patron would ....that being said, if a child or an adult is being loud or rudely running rampant in the lounge then they need to go. If I see someone clipping their nails up there and leaving them behind, I have NO problem letting them know how DISGUSTING that is when the next patrons will sit or stand on that mess.... Thats not only rude, but also just plain nasty. Since BLT is our home resort we feel like it is only right that we take care of it...If I see someone not taking care of it well then thats going to create a problem.

What is wrong with people these days?

I have a super energetic 3 year old boy. However, if I was unable to calm him down, I would just take him out of the lounge, so as not to disrupt others, I would never want to annoy anyone. Some people have higher tolerance to kids then others, so I try to keep that in mind. And as it is Disney, and not Vegas, I don't feel it should just be kids only.

For us, it was great to allow the kids to watch the fireworks from inside, without the noise that is scary for them. Both kids (well, kid and baby) were well behaved when we took them. I agree that behavior is not limited to kids - some adults don't know how to behave in public.

I find that I usually have less of a tolerance for the way the parents handle their children than the children themselves quite frankly. You know your own kids and what they can handle....if they are over tired....over heated....over stimulated....deal with it appropriately and don't impede the enjoyment of those around you. Not to mention that the wait staff is ducking around children with drinks and food, trying to avoid a spontaneous game of tag.....really is that safe? or appropriate? Common sense people, common sense. If you feel that your kids are in the right state of mind to take to a lounge where a certain level of civility would be appreciated.....go for it....if not....keep it outside for the fireworks.....it's what I would do with my DD (now 17). If I figured she couldn't handle the surroundings we wouldn't attempt it. I also would take a minute to advise her of the expectations....."this is a nice restaurant where we need to use good manners because other people want to have a nice time to"....pretty simple. Then again Canadians are know as the politest people in the world:thumbsup2 so it comes naturally :)

Well there is another thread going that go on to describe the lounge as empty when they were there so why would you try to exclude even for people.

Oh and adults can be as irritating as some children add alcohol and even more so.

Denise in MI

I can count the number of children I have seen behave badly at a Disney bar lounge or sitdown dinner. I can not count the number of adults I have seen STEP OVER strollers with children in them to get a better view at a parade.
IMO if the should ban children from a lounge then adults should be banned from the parades. At parades children are stepped over pushed blocked from seeing by adults who step in front of them so it is just payback on the rare occasion that one acts up in a place geared for adults.......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter