Am I the only one that thinks WDW is stressful w/ young kids?

I feel for you. We had many trips like that when mine were young. More pain than pleasure! But it was worth it because they have so many fond memories of their trips to Disney:goodvibes

The worst trip we took was when DS was 2 months old....I thought.....how much trouble could a 2 month old be?:scared: Well lemme tell ya....he did NOT like being in a strange environment and maybe he could sense our stress because he screamed pretty much the entire time. He wouldn't sleep at night and all day I had to carry him strapped to my chest so he'd sleep. Whenever he was awake he was wailing. I lost 10 lbs in 1 week from the stress. I still refer to that vacation as "the vacation from hell":rotfl:

After reading your post I'm glad we waited until our youngest is 4yrs old and doesn't take a nap.

I can't really commiserate or offer advice since I've never taken a toddler to WDW. But I couldn't resist after seeing the photos--be sure to remember to display those at your dd's high school graduation. :lmao: Sometimes it takes awhile for us moms to get our revenge for those grumpy days.

She looks adorable when she's grumpy!

Life with little ones is stressful. Why should Disney be any different? :lmao:

I have to say that we went with a 15 month old and a 3 year old in December, and it was fine. We had a couple of minor meltdowns, but those were my fault because I wasn't getting the food shoveled in DS's mouth quickly enough. ;) We're going again in May, and I'm interested to see how it goes with a potty trained DD (woohoo!) and DS who will be 20 months. We consider it a successful day if we do 3 attractions, so our expectations are low. :rotfl:

OMG, your little grump is just the cutest thing!!!! Of course I was not dealing with it all day. I am sure it was not so cute for you.
We also took our 3-year-old to WDW. She certainly had her moments. She was just out of her element. She was wonderful 80% of the time.
The joy of parenthood. Haha!!

The picture in the brown and turquoise is just too cute! It may be a pouty face but an extremly cute one!
On a side note, how did you get your pictures there? I cannot for the life of me figure it out.

Well thanks for the compliments on my little grump! We were actually at Funtasia Gardens playing mini golf when I took that. She was having fun there one minute and a grouch the next. We were joking that she is bi-polar!

I upload to photobucket.com and then just copy and paste the IMG code right into the post and that is how they show up (for the poster that asked)

You're vacation was basically identical to one we took when dd1 was 3. She was just plain grouchy and angry the entire trip. Nothing made her happy, and we have very few good memories from that trip. Funny thing is, most of the pictures of her we have from that trip, she is smiling. I look at them, and don't remember the smiles since in my memory, all she did was complain and throw tantrums.
The big difference in our trip, is that we went through with our CRT breakfast on our last day. It was a disaster. Dd2 who was 9m old and a pretty easy kid, cried the entire meal. Dh had to leave with her and ate close to nothing. Dd1 screamed the entire time we were waiting to take our picture with Cinderella. She then wouldn't take the picture. We went upstairs, and then she complained the entire time that she then wanted to take the picture. It was a mess. An expensive one at that.
And just like you, our Airline made things even worse on the trip home. We gate checked our double stroller. When they pulled it out coming off the plane, the front wheels were completely chopped off and the stroller was not repairable. American then refused to comp us anything as they said we checked it at our own risk. Jerks. We haven't flown with them since!
I ended up carrying dd2 in a sling all through O'hare while grumpy dd1 had to walk. I had to get all of our luggage with both kids while dh talked to the airline about our stroller.
Thankfully, future trips have been much better. Dd1 still has her moments, and unfortunately is just kind of a grumpy kid. (It's hard to admit, but sadly that's her personality, and we are working very hard on it). I agree with others that 3 is a tough age. They are getting more independent, but are still just big toddlers. Take a year or two off, and try again. Things should get better. In the mean time, maybe a trip to the spa will help. :goodvibes

I'm sorry that you had a stressful trip.

I think the key to a succesful trip with toddlers is to have NO expectations, and, of course, go at their pace. We took DD#1 at 6 months and she was easy peasy -- we rode what we wanted, swam when we wanted, ate at nice TS restaurants whenever we wanted. At 18 months, we went again, and I quickly realized that DD was now in charge --- but, we still had such a wonderful time because SHE had such a wonderful time. I cancelled ALL of our TS meals except for 1, for which we got KIDS NITE OUT. We only went to the parks in the mornings and spent every afternoon at the hotel. And some days we didn't go on a single ride -- DD just wanted to walk around and take in all of the sights (or play with a hoola hoop for an hour!).

We leave for our next trip in a few days -- this time with DD#2 (who will be 6 months) in tow along with DD#1 (who is now 2 1/2). Of course, after posting all of this "helpful" advice, I'll probably be posting in two weeks about how I need a vacation from our vacation. :)

I hear ya!! When we took DD at 18 mos, I did a trip report. Know what the title was?!

A vacation with a toddler is NOT a vacation!

It's funny, though... I'm a very laid back person who doesn't get too stressed. I don't remember getting too upset (and my DD actually wasn't TOO bad), but I remember being EXHAUSTED!! Just the constant need to evaluate and adjust at EVERY MOMENT!!

Then, when we got home... I forgot all about the stress... when I went to write the Trip Report, I had trouble venting about how tiring it was!

Kinda like childbirth, I guess.... you do it again because time washes away the bad parts!:rotfl:

BTW, your little lady is AH.DOR.AH.BLE!! She oughtta be in pictures... even with her grumpy face... precious!!

I can't really commiserate or offer advice since I've never taken a toddler to WDW. But I couldn't resist after seeing the photos--be sure to remember to display those at your dd's high school graduation. :lmao: Sometimes it takes awhile for us moms to get our revenge for those grumpy days.

She looks adorable when she's grumpy!

hehe this is EXACLY why we have pictures of both our boys with their I'm not getting my way face, or the your just the most awful parent in the world because you won't do what I say and the old crocodile tears face.

In fact one of the BEST pictures we got on our 09 photopass was one the photographer took of my youngest after he pitched a fit about being in a family photo, stomped off and laid his head on his hands on one of the floor beds.

Here is one of my favs of him from 08 crying because he was told he couldn't drive the indy race cars at MK

WDW2008083.jpg
[/IMG]

:hug:

I'll be traveling with my DS 3 and DD 1 when we go in December. Hoping we can go with the flow.

LOVE all of the pictures! :rotfl:

Here is my 3 year old crying at AK cause he was too little to ride Kali. "But I'm big"
The pouty face was just the result of being too hot and too tired and waiting for Indy to start. More good times than bad but there were times when I definitely thought I need to come back to Disney without the kids! lol
DSCN1247.jpg

DSCN1248.jpg

DSCN1647.jpg

Oh gosh, I have the horror story to end all horror stories. My little girl was about 18 months old and it was pouring rain at EPCOT. We decided to head back to the hotel (Contemporary) and hopped on the monorail. It was packed, people standing up and everything. I had her in a stroller and buckled in. She decided that she wanted to sit beside me.....no.....there are people standing and I'm not about to make someone uncomfortable when she has a perfectly good seat in the stroller.

OMGOD, she started screaming at the top of her lungs and wouldn't quit. She didn't want my lap, she wanted BESIDE me....no.

An older man and woman sitting across from us GLARED the whole ride and shook their head. What did they want me to do? Smack her or throw her sorry little butt off the monorail via window?!:confused3

When we got off the older woman was grunting how her whole day was ruined due to that horrible little ****.:scared1:

Oh gosh, I have the horror story to end all horror stories. My little girl was about 18 months old and it was pouring rain at EPCOT. We decided to head back to the hotel (Contemporary) and hopped on the monorail. It was packed, people standing up and everything. I had her in a stroller and buckled in. She decided that she wanted to sit beside me.....no.....there are people standing and I'm not about to make someone uncomfortable when she has a perfectly good seat in the stroller.

OMGOD, she started screaming at the top of her lungs and wouldn't quit. She didn't want my lap, she wanted BESIDE me....no.

An older man and woman sitting across from us GLARED the whole ride and shook their head. What did they want me to do? Smack her or throw her sorry little butt off the monorail via window?!:confused3

When we got off the older woman was grunting how her whole day was ruined due to that horrible little ****.:scared1:

I'm sure she forgets what kids are like. Again, like childbirth time helps you forget the rough spots.
I always empathize with other parents when their kids are throwing fits. We were in EPCOT last week, and dd1 who is 6.5 now, threw the biggest screaming tantrum ever. Dh had to carry her out in a football hold and take her back to the resort. She has some issues with tantrums, but I thought they'd be getting better by this age.
Sorry the people were so rude to you. Maybe their children were perfect. ;)

This bothers me...what do people expect at Disney? Perfet children? My DD was singing at the top of her lungs on the bus back to the resort. I kept shhhing her but she would get louder. Fortunately everyone thought it was cute!

I love hearing all of your stories..I'm actually laughing now about it...what are you gonna do? :laughing:

We got back last week after visiting WDW with an almost 2 and almost 6 year old.
I'm glad we went, and there were many wonderful moments. But I'm still recovering.
My 22month old DD has just entered the temper tantrum stage, and was constantly on the go.
My almost-6 year old DS has ADHD and he is also constantly on the go.
Some days went smoothly. Some not so much. The baby discovered that pulling her brother's hair made him shriek which she found hilarious, so every.time she was bored she'd attempt to yank his hair. and he would scream.
Dinners were an adventure. Some were wonderful, others were very quick.
Will I remember the good times? Of course.
And we will likely go back next year.
I think part of our problem, though, is that we both work and we have a nanny who spends a lot of time with our kids. She couldn't come with us in the end. I don't think we truly appreciated how energetic they are or how patient she is :)

I'm sorry you all had some bad times with young children at WDW..but I gotta argue with it being all bad with a toddler. I think its soo worth it!!!! I wouldn't want people to think its a stressfest for everyone. I'm not saying that kids don't have their moments, mine most definitely DO...but they have their moments at home..whats the difference? Your on vacation with your family, in a place that has entertainment at every turn...people trained to entertain young children. We were in Hollywood studios, when my oldest was about 2/3..she was having a bit of a fit because she couldn't get a toy..and a cast member who was on her way to work. stopped and touched the top of my daughters hand..she had left sparkles there...She said Tinkerbell doesn't like to see young girls cry. Well that was the most exciting thing...She still talks about Remember when Tinkerbell put pixiedust on my hand!

And I'm not just forgetting the bad, I don't think I would have gone 2-3 time a year since they were 4 months old if it was that horrible. We have the best time!

Maybe since the kids have been there so much its not overwhelming for them :confused3

I just worry this thread will really deter people from wanting to bring young kids.

The only advice i can give is GO WITH NO EXPECTATIONS at all!

My MIL planned a surprise trip for their family when DD was 4. I couldn't go as she scheduled the whole vacation over my finals week at university, so DH decided to be brave and take DD along with his siblings and their kids. It was a disaster from all accounts. The kids were all 4 and under, they were completely over stimulated and on my MIL's schedule. DH said the worst day was when DD completely broke down and threw the temper tantrum of all temper tantrums in the middle of DHS. He carried her out of the park kicking and wailing and he said he felt like the worst parent ever.

When we went back a year and half later, it was completely different. DD was pretty much a dream; we just went with the flow and took turns doing what everyone wanted to do. I will admit it was pretty funny when we went to DHS and DH found the Honey I Shrunk the Kids play area. I guess they had skipped all the playareas in the parks on the previous trip. He thinks that playground is one of the coolest things ever for letting kids just run around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter