• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Am I the only one puzzled by Pandora?

disneyvoice

DIS Veteran
Hoping this won't come across the wrong way because I always look forward to seeing new things at WDW and Pandora is no exception, however . . .

I am a bit puzzled by the choice of Pandora as a new land at AK. I mean Avatar came out in 2009 and while we went to see it when it came out, I honestly haven't given it a second thought since then. I really don't even remember much about it. Is there a sequel coming out or something? My 15 year old son loves all the Star Wars movies and other action/SI movies but he could care less about Avatar.

While I will be excited to see what it is all about when we are there in July, I can't say that I'm excited because of the Avatar theme per se, more just because it's new. It just seems like an incredibly outdated option to me. I understand that it is probably more difficult to come up with a new theme for AK but it just seems odd to me.

Well, to begin with, the land was announced in 2011 when the original movie was still fairly current. But yes there are new movies planned.

I kind of feel the same way. Movie was good not great and I was questioning the choice. I do understand a 2nd movie will come out in 2018 and there may even be a 3rd so the popularity may increase dramatically.

A new land, looks beautiful and well themed (from previews), in AK, new rides, new places to eat, at night in AK!!! This looks like (hopefully) it will be outstanding from a design standpoint. Bioluminescence??? Floating mountains? Yes please.

Nope, I don't care what movie it's based on! :p Honestly, if a land works, it works! The movie basis is almost an after thought.

Avatar is one of the biggest grossing movies of all time with 4 more movies planned to come. So a total of 5 movies which I'm sure the other 4 with be widely popular as well. It might seem a little outdated because the movie came out 8 years ago, but with 4 more on the way, it won't feel outdated at all. The frozen ride just opened up and that movie came out 3 years prior to the ride. To put both into perspective on just how big Avatar was, for theater opening weekend numbers Avatar did $10 Million more than Frozen..And while Avatar is 4 years older than Frozen, Avatars lifetime gross is $1.5 Billion more than Frozen. So it's not like their dealing with a movie that was a dud and has fallen by the wayside. I agree they should've ramped up the speed and opened the land a little earlier, but I think it'll be accepted well

And if the theme of Avatar being within AK feels like it doesn't fit there, just know that when AK was first imagined they planned to incorporate dragons into it. While the creatures of Avatar aren't real life Earth animals like the rest of the park, the theme and message of the movie fit into AK.

It'll be a hit and I'm sure you'll enjoy it once you get there.

I loved the movie when it came out, but am over it now. I think the problem with Avatar as opposed to the other classics that we see used for attractions, rides, etc in theme parks is that Avatar just doesn't translate well to the small screen. What was fantastic and amazing about Avatar was the big screen 3D amazing cinematography. When you watch it on the small screen, it just loses something. You can watch Star Wars, Harry Potter, Frozen, Peter Pan Etc. on the small screen over and over and they hold up--- I just don't get that with Avatar because that movie was much more about the visuals than the story line. I think that the sequels if they measure up may revive it- but I think for the most part it is "forgotten" now because it just isn't small screen or non 3-D watchable (or at least not impressively). Most people I know who did not see it in the theatre on the big screen in IMAX or 3D don't like it. Avatar made the money it did because it was groundbreaking 3d and stunningly beautiful on the big screen--- everyone wanted to look at it-- I don't think it was ever really about the storyline itself.

I don't think it was a strange choice because at the time the choice was made, I think there was still a lot of hype. I am a little excited about how it will look visually and that boat ride. Again- I could care less about the story line- but I want to see how WDW does the visuals and the beauty.

Last edited:
I don't get it. I enjoyed the movie but I don't consider it to be a classic like Star Wars or Harry Potter so I don't get why they went with Avatar. Sure, the land has potential to be kinda cool and I'm looking forward to something new but I'm not particularly excited about it being Avatar. I wish it was mythical beasts instead.

I will probably go see the first sequel of Avatar when it comes out but if it sucks, I won't bother with the other 3. Disney is really gambling that they are going to be big hits.

Never seen the movie and don't care to. My friend saw it and enjoyed it because it was in 3d and the visuals were beautiful.

I was really hoping Disney would have used the space for a more animal themed area like mythical beasts, Lion King or something along those lines.

That said I would check it out when I get back to Disney. I'm sure it will be pretty.

Last edited:
When I thought it was going to be something to do with the movie I was very much on the ugh train. When they clarified it will not follow the story of the movie and is about the fantasy planet of Pandora I thought oh cool it won't really matter if you like the movie or not it can just be pretty and cool. It is more what I wish they would have done with HP and Universal. Don't get me wrong I love HP so absolutely get giddy and even teary eyed when I go to Diagon Alley but if you aren't familiar with the books or movies it means nothing that this massive white dragon is on the bank. So I'm glad they took the "timeless" approach that will hopefully be a beautiful fantasy planet.

Funny thing about Avatar, the top grossing film, is that there are zero cultural references to it. Many times I've looked at my kids and said "I am altering the deal, pray I do not alter it further" or when there is work to be done "Spit spot, well begun is half done", Or when dropping them at school "Prepare for dust off!" (an Aliens reference but they did not figure that out for many years). I can't think of a single Avatar reference that anyone has ever made. It has no social impact.

Also, the conservation/environmental theme in the movie(s) fits right in with the conservation and protection focus found in many places throughout AK. Done right, it should be visually stunning especially at night. Sadly recent history being what it is, that's not a sure thing. I'm optimistic nonetheless. I'll be seeing it in January on our next trip.

I kind of feel the same way. Movie was good not great and I was questioning the choice. I do understand a 2nd movie will come out in 2018 and there may even be a 3rd so the popularity may increase dramatically.
There 'may' be a third ... I think Cameron already plans for 3-5 more movies i just hope the sequels do well since I think what helped the first film (which I admit I've never seen but DSis says is overrated) is it was one of the first with the 3D technology we have today

I think what makes this a good choice is the amazing imagery in the movie, which they are translating to real life, the message of conservation which is very much in keeping with the theme of AK, and the fact that there are 4 more movies on the way, which will keep this current, and relevant for many years to come.

I kind of agree. The movie came out years ago and it was meh for me. I had no interest so I saw it on bluray a few years after it came out so maybe I didn't' get the IMAX wow factor but still..meh. But it is Disney and I'm going to look forward to almost everything new they do. I know the level of detail is going to be amazing and that there will be new innovated rides so I'm getting excited.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter