Am I the only one EXCITED about Atlantis?

Peter Pirate

Its not the end of civilization...But you can see
I'm not intending this to be Shrek v Atlantis thread, I am only asking if there is anyone else excited about seeing it? I think the trailers and add's look very appealing & I've seen the Disney Channel promo's (ad nauseum) in my house (the visit to Carlsbad Canyon, etc).

But despite the warnings that it is more violent, despite lots of negative publicity I actually think it looks good...

Anyone else?
:cool: :cool: :bounce: :cool: :cool:

I am, I am. The animation showed in the trailers look fantastic. I, unfortunately, cannot see it until after June 22 but am looking forward to it.

I've been looking forward to it since I first saw the trailer before Emporer's New Groove back in December. Won't be able to see it next Friday night, but will be at the first showing on Saturday.

...Disney animation is one of my favorite things, ever.

The negative publicity I've heard mostly concerns the "scorched earth" budget mentality that went into the film. And while I don't doubt for a second that the Imagineers were given about three-quarters of what they needed to make the film, I can look at it like Animal Kingdom. Even though AK's budgets suffered similarly (perhaps even more so), the Imagineers did a great job with what they had and I can find a good time at the park.

I'll actually be in WDW when Atlantis opens. Hmmm, June 15th in Orlando, perhaps an hour and fifteen minutes in an air-conditioned theater would fit right into our plans...

Jeff

Add me to the list! We are really looking forward to it too! I think Disney is benefiting right now from (unfounded) low expectations. I think Atlantis will do very well. We haven't seen that short guy's movie yet, but we may get around to it AFTER we see Atlantis. :smooth:

Peter, LOL. The Disney Channel is the default channel on our TV too. DS#2 can probably recite all of the dialogue for Jett Jackson. :p

I really think it looks exciting, but I have to admit after Emperor's New Groove, I was a little skeptical about everything!

Galahad, that made me laugh! Add to that memorized list Lizzie McGuire & So Weird!
:cool: :cool: :bounce: :cool: :cool:

I'm definatly excited, Where's another Voice? He was commenting that his prescious industry buzz :bounce: was starting to say not so bad things

Disney may get a new segment of the market with films like Atlantis & Treasure Planet. The art style in Atlantis is modeled after that of a very popular comic book artist: Mike Mignola. The overall feel of the film seems to be a bit edgier & it seems like Disney's trying to attract the hot teenage set to its films. This may or may not work... Does anyone remember Titan AE?

Sarangel

The art style in Atlantis is modeled after that of a very popular comic book artist: Mike Mignola
...I've quite a comic collection, myself, and I know Mike's work (as far as the board is concerned, I'll have to refer to one of his more popular characters as "Heckboy"), and I didn't notice the resemblance from the trailers I've seen. His art is very stylized: harsh edges and a unique sense of capturing motion on a static page.

If they pulled it off, and are able to give a nod to his sense of motion (it's interesting, because comics are capturing a motion, whereas animation demonstrates motion, comic artists do not always make good animators. And vice versa, although, for instance, Paul Smith has certainly done both well), it should be noticably different than other animations.

Cool. Now I'm looking forward to it even more. Thanks, Sarangel.

Jeff

I won’t get excited about it until I read Danny Manning’s review…

I haven’t seen the movie yet; the closet I’ve gotten is reading the treatment of the script. It’s defiantly not like any other Disney animated film – it’s flat out action without a single moment of “cute”. I think there’s enough that people who want to like the movie will have reason to say nice things; but there’s also points for people who won’t like the movie. I’m personally very interested in how the people who found the fart jokes in ‘Shrek’ offensive are going to respond to the 100+ deaths in this film. Technically the animation is supposed to be excellent, although I have real doubts that animation is a good form for an action movie. Honestly, I would have put the budget for ‘Pearl’ into ‘Atlantis’ and have made a live-action film that would have rivaled ’20,000 Leagues Under the Sea’ and ‘Raiders of the Lost Ark’.

The buzz (and YoHo, don’t mock the buzz dude) is to expect moderately good reviews because of the strong animation but a very weak story, lots of recommendations to take boys 7-12 years old, and a lot of bad jokes comparing Disney to a fabled lost paradise raided by greedy capitalistic imperialists. ‘Atlantis’ is going to get clobbered at the box office by ‘Tomb Raider’ so no one is paying that much attention or taking this one all that seriously. That doesn’t mean that ‘Atlantis’ is a bad film, just plan to see it before July 4th.

P.S. Danny Manning is a fake reviewer that Sony Pictures made up so they could put favorable quotes in their movie ads. Sony was caught putting using a phony review for ‘The Animal’ – film made by the former head of The Walt Disney Studios.

AHHHHH, the buzz is out to get me, AHHHHHHH:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I only mock what I refuse to understand. :)

By the way industry buzz around here is that I'm about to get rif'd any one need a system test engineer?

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Gotta make my own happiness

On Father's day, June 17th, I pick up Tasha from her Mom's house at 10am. We will drive to WDW. After checking into our motel, we will go to Downtown Disney and watch Atlantis for the first time!!! Afterwards we will probably visit the new Animal Kingdom Lodge, swim a bit, have an early dinner at Chef Mickey's then enjoy the rest of the evening at the MK riding the new Aladdin ride, watching SpectraMajerk and Fantasy in the Sky fireworks...This will be the best Father's Day ever, thank you Tasha and Disney!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter