Am I the only one bummed by the new transportation set up at Disney Springs

The Uber drop-off & pickup is at the far end of the West Side, behind HoB -- much farther from the MP than the new bus depot.

Got an Uber driver last week who was more than happy to drop me off at the old Marketplace. Just saying it doesn't hurt to ask. And there were cabs waiting there, as well. Dont' know whether they are supposed to or not, but there you go.

I thought the new bus stop location was a total PIA. Forcing me to go through all those high end, foo foo shops is aggravating and frankly not worth my time in the Florida heat. I live in north Jersey... if I want that I can find it in here. There must be people who buy that stuff but I won't be going to DS nearly as often unless I'm staying at SSR or OKW.

I agree about the new Disney Springs and bus stop - the original was so convenient for us. Also, at one point, they had three stops, so walking was kept at a minimum. My intentions on vacation are not just to shop at high end shops - guess they are banking on everyone being 'loaded' and ready to part with their money, and they make sure we have to pass through there.

DH & I scouted out a few shops and had our fill. I love the Marketplace, but that's all I go for - have to have my 'fix' at Earl of Sandwich.

It gets less and less attractive to us as they 'fancy' it up, and DH doesn't even care to go there anymore. IMHO, they're banking on a small percentage of Disney vacationers to support their expensive endeavor. Disney already manages to part us with enough $$$'s just to stay and play!! :rolleyes:

I agree about the new Disney Springs and bus stop - the original was so convenient for us. Also, at one point, they had three stops, so walking was kept at a minimum. My intentions on vacation are not just to shop at high end shops - guess they are banking on everyone being 'loaded' and ready to part with their money, and they make sure we have to pass through there.

DH & I scouted out a few shops and had our fill. I love the Marketplace, but that's all I go for - have to have my 'fix' at Earl of Sandwich.

It gets less and less attractive to us as they 'fancy' it up, and DH doesn't even care to go there anymore. IMHO, they're banking on a small percentage of Disney vacationers to support their expensive endeavor. Disney already manages to part us with enough $$$'s just to stay and play!! :rolleyes:

Actually, they really are not -- they are banking on locals (and especially CM's) to support that endeavor. The re-vamp is in direct response to the popularity of Citywalk among locals. Disney wants a share of that nightlife business, which is probably why the bus stop and official taxi stand are in the entertainment area, where guests who want to drink will have transport that doesn't require driving. It's no accident that unlike Citywalk, DS has free parking (note that USIOA annual passholders do get free parking at Citywalk -- again to keep locals in those bars and restaurants.) Add in the reality that, despite the success of Magical Express, the VAST majority of WDW guests still get there in their own wheels, and it just isn't all that surprising.

As for an extra bus stop, now that the dedicated bus lanes have been installed, I think that it probably would not be all that difficult to add one closer to the Marketplace if demand warrants it. I can see why they left it out, as in the old configuration it took forever for buses to move through that badly-designed lot, but now it should be easier, especially if they put the stop on the wall side of the garage, off Buena Vista Dr. instead of inside the parking lot.

I just wish they had benches by the bus stops (under some shade) so I can rest my feet after all the walking and shopping! :tiptoe:

Actually, they really are not -- they are banking on locals (and especially CM's) to support that endeavor. The re-vamp is in direct response to the popularity of Citywalk among locals. Disney wants a share of that nightlife business, which is probably why the bus stop and official taxi stand are in the entertainment area, where guests who want to drink will have transport that doesn't require driving. It's no accident that unlike Citywalk, DS has free parking (note that USIOA annual passholders do get free parking at Citywalk -- again to keep locals in those bars and restaurants.) Add in the reality that, despite the success of Magical Express, the VAST majority of WDW guests still get there in their own wheels, and it just isn't all that surprising.

As for an extra bus stop, now that the dedicated bus lanes have been installed, I think that it probably would not be all that difficult to add one closer to the Marketplace if demand warrants it. I can see why they left it out, as in the old configuration it took forever for buses to move through that badly-designed lot, but now it should be easier, especially if they put the stop on the wall side of the garage, off Buena Vista Dr. instead of inside the parking lot.

I hear a lot on these boards about how little CMs make. How can they possibly be the target for all these high end shops/restaurants?

I hear a lot on these boards about how little CMs make. How can they possibly be the target for all these high end shops/restaurants?

Not the shops -- the bars. Most CM's are young and single, especially the college program kids, and they like to go out of an evening. Liquor is THE most profitable item on any entertainment area's balance sheet, because the markup for alcoholic beverages is enormous. The bars and restaurants offer nice discounts to CMs, and often there are "CM specials" on payday.

Last edited:
And CityWalk has a somewhat unsavory element at night. When I'm staying at US/IoA, I'm not terribly comfortable just walking through that area.
I loved DTD of old. I loved the variety of clubs...something for just about everyone.
Sadly, Disney has changed that area. I don't go on vacation to shop at high end stores. I want something unusual. Will I still go to DTD? Sure. Does the new bus situation bother me? I'll withhold my thoughts until I've used it a few times. But, I doubt I'll be heading to DTD to just amble about, filling in some empty time. And that's what we used to do.

I disagree, but that's why we all can have our own opinions - guess time will tell!!

We loved it. The new area is beautiful to walk through - very welcoming. I love the architecture and design of it all. And, it's very central...go right for MP, left for Splitsville :) I think it is a huge improvement - traffic flow is SO much better, too...no shoulder to shoulder because the paths are so narrow.

And CityWalk has a somewhat unsavory element at night. When I'm staying at US/IoA, I'm not terribly comfortable just walking through that area.
I loved DTD of old. I loved the variety of clubs...something for just about everyone.
Sadly, Disney has changed that area. I don't go on vacation to shop at high end stores. I want something unusual. Will I still go to DTD? Sure. Does the new bus situation bother me? I'll withhold my thoughts until I've used it a few times. But, I doubt I'll be heading to DTD to just amble about, filling in some empty time. And that's what we used to do.

Sorry, but I did not feel anything was "unsavory" at CityWalk. Not to mention that unlike Disney the guests at CityWalk went through screening....

I like it a lot better then the mall Disney built!

I'd also say that I've never felt any "unsavory" vibe at Citywalk, but I have younger kids, so normally we are not there past about midnight. I'll admit that I'm not familiar with what it looks like at 3 am.

Security at DTD has been an issue for years now (mostly in terms of theft), but unless they fence off the complex and make everyone enter via the garages or the water taxi, there is really no way to implement the sort of security setup that USIOA has in place.

Is the stop near the Orange garage? I parked there, a couple of times. I have to push my adult son in a manual WC. It was really really hard to get over to the Marketplace area, up and down a few hills, that if walking, would be ok. Pushing an adult in a chair, not ok.

I hope to park in the Line garage next time, because is the buses have me trying to negotiate those hills again, forget the bus for me. (Lime was not open on my last 2 trips)

Has anyone had Uber drop off at one of the parking garages? Is this doable?
The official passenger drop-off is behind HOB, but there's nothing to stop a driver from dropping you in the garage. I just go to one of the upper levels, because Disney often has people on Level 2 keeping traffic moving. So it's up to the driver whether they're willing to honor your request.

Is the stop near the Orange garage? I parked there, a couple of times. I have to push my adult son in a manual WC. It was really really hard to get over to the Marketplace area, up and down a few hills, that if walking, would be ok. Pushing an adult in a chair, not ok.

I hope to park in the Line garage next time, because is the buses have me trying to negotiate those hills again, forget the bus for me. (Lime was not open on my last 2 trips)
It's in between the 2 garages. In fact, the drop-off is almost exactly midway between the Lime and east Orange pedestrian entrances.

I think the big hill you're thinking of is where the Adventurers' & Comedy Clubs used to be, between PI & the West Side. You don't have to go that way anymore; you can cut thru Town Center, which seems to be relatively flat. You'll come out between WoD and Lego.

I just drive and park in Lime, it's not worth the hassle. I'm only interested in the Disney stores, and nothing in the marketplace section has changed. Up until recently, I was traveling to Disney on a very very strict college student budget, so I never really had much interest in shopping.

I was just looking at new map for DS and am also not too happy about the location of the bus drop off. I am mostly interested in the Marketplace shops and maybe some of the new restaurants, but still really love my Holiday Turkey from EOS too! It may just have to be somewhere I go when I have a rental car, but skip otherwise. Or, do the taxi/uber route.

I just did the walk in July and I didn't think it was that far? I guess I expect to have to walk miles a day while in Disney. ;);)

Ughhh, didn't know the Uber was only allowed to pick up at the Strawberry garage. That is ridiculous. May have to rethink plans now. Was really thinking they could pick up at the Marketplace.

And what time do the resort buses start running to Disney Springs?

Ughhh, didn't know the Uber was only allowed to pick up at the Strawberry garage. That is ridiculous. May have to rethink plans now. Was really thinking they could pick up at the Marketplace.

And what time do the resort buses start running to Disney Springs?

As I said above, I had an Uber driver who had no issues dropping me at the Marketplace and I'm sure would have picked me up there if I had asked. There were several taxis waiting there as well.

That's not the "official policy" but you may very well find Uber drivers who will accommodate you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter