Am I the only mother that didn't get the memo?

My kindeRgartener gave everyone a 2 pack of Star Wars silly bands in lieu of candy. He got a few suckers, and six goody bags! With only twenty kids in his class, that's quite the haul! He's thrilled, but it seems awkward. I don't know...

Every year we do something different. Some years we make Valentine cards and tape on a lolipop, some years we either make or decorate candy. If gives our kids something to do.

This year we did "iPods" made from Conversation Heart boxes, string, and two Hershey kisses.
:confused3

If it were up to me, dd9 would give a Valentine. The thing is, SHE gets super excited to give a little something more. This year we found conversation heart erasers which she taped to each card. she was sooo excited to give these. Other years, we've done the fundip cards or something similar.

That is how my nephew is! He gets so excited for holidays and wanted to do buckets. And I get excited just to see the children excited and happy:thumbsup2

Ours have valentines parties at school. I did too, when I was younger. When I was younger, almost all valentines cards had some kind of candy attached to them, but now it's very hard to find. I try to find some kind of valentines cards that have something with them. -It's usually been tattoos or stickers, but this year my ds picked out ones that you could make a little football thing with.

Both my sons came home with about an equal mix between cards and candy/goody bags. We always try to send something more than just a card, and this year my boys gave out Valentines from Friendly's for each child to get a free ice cream cone, which supports Friendly's charities (and no little cards to have around for months because the kids can't bear to throw them away!). We don't eat much candy around here (the kids usually forget about it), and about four times a year I collect whatever has accumulated and donate it.

One little girl colored a page from a coloring book for every student, which must have taken a very long time as she made them for 48 children in 2 classes (multi-age/team teaching classrooms). The teachers and moms all made a fuss over how much time she put into it and how kind & thoughtful it was of her :flower3:!

I said the same thing this year. It was like Halloween. Pencils must also be popular because the kids got about 12 of them

I did the cards with a lollipop attached, some parents sent in full blown goody bags.

I sent valentines where it's also a coupon for a free krispy kreme doughnut. We got on a doughnut kick at work & for every dozen, we got a pack. My co-workers gave me 6 packs so they were free :). I also sent in sweethearts for ds's class to use for math by request so I got out cheap this year. I've done a few years of 75/90% clearance from the year before in goodie bags or buckets (not edibles) so super cheap that looks like a lot. My kids both came home with a baggie of fun dips, most popular in both classes. They don't mind the candy, lol.

My sons' teachers asked us to send one bag of individually wrapped candy, along with the regular valentines. They also told us we could send candy if we wanted to at Christmas. Other than my kids' sugar rush I don't mind helping. I did think that if everyone sent candy that it would be a tremendous amount of candy, but I'm pretty sure not everyone sends candy and it evens out. My kids didn't come home with a huge amount of candy(unless they ate it all at school).

I noticed the last couple years the more candy was being passed out. We finally jumped on the bandwagon this year and passed out lollipops.

I agree, the Valentines are so chintzy now, the candy at least makes it worthwhile.

I too did not get the memo. This was our first Valentine's that DD was in school.

My DD had a combined preschool class party - so we had to do 42 Valentines! I just did the plain ones you buy at the store and brought a snack to share at the party. But almost everyone that she received had candy or something attached. I felt guilty for a few minutes, but I then got over it. I know this is a candy holiday, but for 3 and 4 year olds, I would never give someone else's kid candy. :confused3 Maybe that's just my own problem because we really limit DD's sugar. Anyway, next year I may do something cute like stickers or those mini granola bars. We'll see.

My dd10 took valentine's with tattoos in them and we took cupcakes for the class. I had candy too, but they had SO MUCH that I didn't even bring it out.

My DS got a full bag of Valentine cards and candy. I think he had 2 goody bags. I gave the card with the lolipop attached.

My son is 15. So he's five years away from ES valentine parties. The valentine with candy in it was rare then. Now I understand it's more normal. I think it's dumb. Kids don't need all that candy. Why must people overdo everything? Keep it simple folks! They are children and if they get it all now, they will be bored, spoiled adults.

When I taught preschoolers, we started out letting them make valentines for each other. Then it went to everyone bringing in purchased cards--just little folded cards to put in each other's bags. Then parents started attaching lollipops or snack size packs of m&m's to the valentines and sent bags of candy for the party.

And then suddenly it became big valentine cards, candy and stickers or tattoos attached plus a goodie bag with lots of little heart shaped objects and chocolate kisses in them--this is from each of 12 kids. PLUS the parents would each send some outlandish party goodies. Huge cupcakes piled high with pink or red icing, homemade chocolate candy lollipops poured into heart shaped molds, heart shaped cookie cakes, plus bags and bags of candy! It started in the one year old's class and every year got more and more out there! :scared1:

The parents seemed to enjoy doing it, but where they found the time I just couldn't figure out! I felt guilty at first but dd enjoyed cutting out hearts and making valentines so thats what we did.

My son is 15. So he's five years away from ES valentine parties. The valentine with candy in it was rare then. Now I understand it's more normal. I think it's dumb. Kids don't need all that candy. Why must people overdo everything? Keep it simple folks! They are children and if they get it all now, they will be bored, spoiled adults.

Really? Kids who get candy at Valentine's Day are doomed? Don't you think that's a huge stretch?:rotfl:

My daughters, who are 22 and 17, always got candy with a valentine from their classmates. So far they have managed to grow up without it scarring them - one even graduated from college and has a full time job! She's not bored or spoiled, but she still likes candy!!

I don't think this is new:confused3 I am in my late 30s an we always got/gave valentines with some sort of candy attached or in the little envelope when I was in school (in both Colorado and Texas). It was this way when I taught and when my kids were in school too.

Really? Kids who get candy at Valentine's Day are doomed? Don't you think that's a huge stretch?:rotfl:

My daughters, who are 22 and 17, always got candy with a valentine from their classmates. So far they have managed to grow up without it scarring them - one even graduated from college and has a full time job! She's not bored or spoiled, but she still likes candy!!

:lmao:I thought the same thing! I don't think class parties, Valentines or not are going to harm my nephew as well as all the other children in his class.

Candy at Valentine's Day=bored spoiled adults?

Um. Ok.

I don't see a problem with sending a valentine with candy. Some parents do go overboard though. Don't even get me started on teachers gifts. I had one room mother ask us to all pitch in the send the teacher on a vacation at the end of the year.:scared1: I am thankful for the hard work that the teachers put in, but sending them on vacation is insane!

I went to the Dollar Tree and got a pack of Princess and the Frog Valentines with pencils and Harry Potter with tattoos. She likes to give separate ones for boys/girls. So, for $2 we got more than just cards. It doesn't have to be expensive. She did get cupcakes and homebaked stuff. That gets thrown out. She also got boxes of those conversation hearts. Nobody went overboard in her class. As others said, some people enjoy putting together the treat bags and have the time to do it so I say go for it! I do not feel the need to compete. I do what I can do and no more. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter