Am I seriously considering passing up a free trip?

APiratesLifeForMe2

DIS Veteran
Ok so my mom has been planning a solo trip for quite some time now. She is going for a week in September staying at WL. She has all ADR's, fast passes and is completely set. Apparently she must be having solo trip cold feet because she is trying to convince me to tag along. Normally I would be all over this but there are many reasons why I'm hesitant. First, I will be 7 months pregnant and I am borderline high risk. While there is no reason now to believe I would not be able to travel, 2 months from now might be a different story. Second, I wouldn't be able to ride much with her and my stamina would likely be diminished in the heat and humidity (dragging her down). I also run my own business and don't have employees to cover the office while I am gone. This means I have to maintain a virtual office even when out of town.

Am I crazy for thinking I might pass on this opportunity? I want to try and convince her that a solo trip will be a blast and she doesn't need me to tag along. Any suggestions or tips?

Am I crazy for thinking I might pass on this opportunity? I want to try and convince her that a solo trip will be a blast and she doesn't need me to tag along. Any suggestions or tips?

I think you're being sensible. There's nothing wrong with passing up a trip if its not the right time.

Just ask yourself how you would feel if the worse was to happen. Would you think

- I could have prevented this?
Or would you think
- there is no way I could have known this was going to happen.

I hope this helps :)

Ok so my mom has been planning a solo trip for quite some time now. She is going for a week in September staying at WL. She has all ADR's, fast passes and is completely set. Apparently she must be having solo trip cold feet because she is trying to convince me to tag along. Normally I would be all over this but there are many reasons why I'm hesitant. First, I will be 7 months pregnant and I am borderline high risk. While there is no reason now to believe I would not be able to travel, 2 months from now might be a different story. Second, I wouldn't be able to ride much with her and my stamina would likely be diminished in the heat and humidity (dragging her down). I also run my own business and don't have employees to cover the office while I am gone. This means I have to maintain a virtual office even when out of town.

I think your mom is crazy for asking you to go to Disney at all at 7 months pregnant, no matter your health. As high energy and crowded and possibly contaminated with sickness at such high people volume, it is VERY easy to be miserable if you are pregnant at all, especially so far along! Girl, if you GO you are crazy!

agree - really can't believe your mother is asking you to go - 7 months pregnant in Sept - you would be miserable - the heat and humidity are horrible.

especially with you having your own business - no paid vacation.

Crazy? No- you're concerns are definitely valid! I don't know anything about being 7 months pregnant, but- if I felt up the the traveling it would take to just get there- I would do the trip- albeit at an extremely slower pace than my usual self. I would totally rent a motorized scooter and make the trip super laid back. But you know yourself best! If you're having any doubts- it might be better to sit this one out. :)

She could meet up with other people from the forum.

I don't think you're crazy at all! It sounds like going on this trip would cause you undue stress, and you definitely don't need that!

Maybe you could direct your mom to this forum where she can get some solo inspiration :)

I told her about the forum over here and she seemed sort of interested but she has yet to visit the site. Maybe when her trip gets closer she will give it a second thought.

Crazy? No- you're concerns are definitely valid! I don't know anything about being 7 months pregnant, but- if I felt up the the traveling it would take to just get there- I would do the trip- albeit at an extremely slower pace than my usual self. I would totally rent a motorized scooter and make the trip super laid back. But you know yourself best! If you're having any doubts- it might be better to sit this one out. :)

Thank you to everyone for making me feel less insane to pass up a Disney trip. It is so against my nature to say "Disney? Nah, I'll pass". I thought if I went I would literally just fly down to stay at the resort. The thought of going to the parks sounds miserable!

I think your mom is crazy for asking you to go to Disney at all at 7 months pregnant, no matter your health. As high energy and crowded and possibly contaminated with sickness at such high people volume, it is VERY easy to be miserable if you are pregnant at all, especially so far along! Girl, if you GO you are crazy!

My husband and I just went to Disney earlier this year when I was 7 weeks pregnant. I was so fatigued that I didn't last until the fireworks :sad1: Of course that was the first trimester and now I am just an insomniac :confused3. The plus side is we got the baby his first mouse ears and took a photo for our announcement. I have no idea what the third trimester would bring but I am sure it would be far worse on me physically than the first trimester was. Thanks for the support!

I agree that you are being sensible about not going. However, would it be possible for you to go and just hang out at the resort and relax, while your mom does the parks?

If not, would she like to adopt a daughter for the week? :flower3::flower3::flower3:

I think you are doing the right think to skip this trip. Is this your mom's first solo trip? If so, there are many solos on here that would help reassure her that it is a blast to take a solo trip. I am 63, female, and most all of my trips are solo. I would certainly recommend it and WL is a fabulous resort for a solo trip. Very relaxing and easy to get to all the parks. Point her to this thread and some specific posts about solo trips.

Jerry

I agree that you are being sensible about not going. However, would it be possible for you to go and just hang out at the resort and relax, while your mom does the parks?

If not, would she like to adopt a daughter for the week? :flower3::flower3::flower3:

I thought about just flying down to stay at the resort but the prices for her flights have gone up significantly. I am still keeping my options opened but I think she was more interested in me going so she could have someone to explore the parks with. In other words, I don't think she wants to fork over flight $$ for me to sip lemonade at the pool :smooth:

I think you are doing the right think to skip this trip. Is this your mom's first solo trip? If so, there are many solos on here that would help reassure her that it is a blast to take a solo trip. I am 63, female, and most all of my trips are solo. I would certainly recommend it and WL is a fabulous resort for a solo trip. Very relaxing and easy to get to all the parks. Point her to this thread and some specific posts about solo trips.

Jerry

Yes this will be her first trip! I know she would find some great information on this board so I am working on trying to get her here at least once!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter