• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Am I ruining my experience?

shahied

Earning My Ears
First I'll start by saying I haven't been to WDW since I was maybe 10 or 11. I am now 36 and will be visiting WDW next month with DW, DD4, and DS2. Sometimes I feel that by reading hundreds of posts, reviews and viewing pics from trip reports that I am ruining my upcoming experience. By living through other's experiences here on DISboards I hope that when I do get there I wont feel like "been there done that."

First I'll start by saying I haven't been to WDW since I was maybe 10 or 11. I am now 36 and will be visiting WDW next month with DW, DD4, and DS2. Sometimes I feel that by reading hundreds of posts, reviews and viewing pics from trip reports that I am ruining my upcoming experience. By living through other's experiences here on DISboards I hope that when I do get there I wont feel like "been there done that."

I think you'll be fine. It will really be about watching your DW and those kids smile and laugh.

I don't think so. Ithink the disboards provides enough information to help you "stop and smell the roses". You learn info that you may otherwise miss and planning is half the magic

I think it depends on the type of person you are...I'm a planner. So, by reading others opinions/reviews and learning everything that I can allows me to enjoy the experience more because I feel prepared. If you're more of a spontaneous person, then you might feel like you've taken the excitement out of it...

Either way, I'm sure you will enjoy the time spent with your family and make some wonderful memories! :)

We enjoyed our first WDW as unschooled newbies, but being informed by this and other Disney sites we've greatly improved our vacation experience. Knowledge is power.

Bill From PA

I don't think it will ruin your experience. Remember that the posts are "our" experiences. The first time your little ones hit Main Street and see the castle, you'll forget all about the boards and posts and begin the journey of firsts. First ride, first dole whip, first show, etc.... Just make sure to go at their pace and enjoy the magic.

I went 3 times as a kid. When we started going every year about 6 years ago, that was my fear, that it would just become a "regular" vacation. Not true. We try to find things we have never done on each trip and mix that in with our favorites. I still don't think we have done everything and now with NFL and more updates, we'll have that much more to experience. Go with an open mind and enjoy the magic through your children. We still go back and look at the pictures often.

I don't think it will ruin your experience. Remember that the posts are "our" experiences. The first time your little ones hit Main Street and see the castle, you'll forget all about the boards and posts and begin the journey of firsts. First ride, first dole whip, first show, etc.... Just make sure to go at their pace and enjoy the magic.

I went 3 times as a kid. When we started going every year about 6 years ago, that was my fear, that it would just become a "regular" vacation. Not true. We try to find things we have never done on each trip and mix that in with our favorites. I still don't think we have done everything and now with NFL and more updates, we'll have that much more to experience. Go with an open mind and enjoy the magic through your children. We still go back and look at the pictures often.

MMMMMMMMMMMMM DOLE WHIP

Yeah man there is no way a Family Vacation to the greates place on earth could be ruined by reading the boards. The boards are here as guides, kinda like Yoda and Ben Kanobi. Only with out the lightsaber's. Take the advice and make it your own find your own way.

May the force be with you

I also have a better time the more prepared I am. There was a lot I would have missed had I not researched here first!!! I think you are going to have a magical time!!

I've only taken 1 other trip to Disney in 2011 and I am grateful that co-workers of mine turned me on to the Dis before I took that trip b/c it greatly enhanced my experience in my opion.

I think it depends on the type of person you are...I'm a planner. So, by reading others opinions/reviews and learning everything that I can allows me to enjoy the experience more because I feel prepared. If you're more of a spontaneous person, then you might feel like you've taken the excitement out of it...

I totally agree.
Also, for me, extensive planning increases my anticipation and gets me more excited for my upcoming trip!

It depends.

I do think it's a big mistake to watch ride videos.

Much of the fun of going to a place is discovery. Lots of times, I avoid reading about a place before I go. Then when I'm there, I gather materials and read them afterwards. I might read up a little about my hotel to make sure it's not a dump (or just stay at a reliable chain).

I am obviouslyu a fairly avid poster on the DIS- and I try to be informed about some thing- like discounts that are being offered, major policy changes.

On the other hand, I avoid reading about the new attractions in advance to going- other than to know they exist.

So yes, I think it is possible to rad about a place too much before you go. Whether you've done that is not for any of us to say, but is up to you.

My first trip was when I was 26 and since its been around the same time since yours I think you might have the same or similar experience. I read it all and was still bowled over. The magic takes over, if you let it. Just don't have high expectations or a strict schedule or touring plan. Enjoy the little moments and see things through your kids eyes! Seeing pictures does not accurately portray the real life ride etc. Have a wonderful trip!

Don't worry about all the planning. Once you get there, you and your family will be sooo glad you did all the research you did. I know mine are. Have fun.

Personally, I think that all this advance reading and planning enhances the vacation experience - we are able to take advantage of things we might not otherwise know about, and get tips on how to maximize the fun!

Keep in mind, you are asking the choir if they enjoy singing- so to speak. ;)

One of my saddest memories...was watching a woman in demand that her daughter get to wake up Tink in tink's Treasures. Once upon a time, it was a surprise experince that cast members bestowed - as a surprise- upon some deverving young girl each morning.

The girl did not want to do it, but mom was insisting because she had 'heard about it on the internet.' It was especially sad becuse there were plenty of deserving little girls witnessing this selfish woman's rant! UGH!

Tink's Treasures is gone now. I truly think Disney did away with it because what I witnessed was common. Instead of a magical surprise, folks were demanding it, and complaining if they were told they were told, no.

The internet is what it is. It's both a blessing and a curse for WDW.

It depends.

I do think it's a big mistake to watch ride videos.

Very Interesting, because we are going to do just that next week after we disclose to the kids that we are going.... (its our first time)...

So.... We were hoping to watch the videos to decide how important would that attraction be for my kids..... big mistake ???

If it is, then what are the alternatives ? I have a TP membership I can just use their point system for the rides in a park where they grade it according to kid friendly or not. Can I trust that ?

One thing to remember is that people ride the same attractions and see the same shows over and over. If they can willingly do that vacation after vacation, then a quick read or look at video review isn't going to spoil much for you. It might even make your vacation better since you'll know in advance what your in for as far as time and thrills.

Before going to Disneyland last summer, I wasn't sure if I wanted to see Fantasmic! I'm not a big fan of the WDW version, but I'd heard the DL version was much better. So I watched a youtube video of it. I watched just to the point where I said "I want to see that!" and then shut it off. It was a good show and I'm glad I hadn't seen it all. Now with that said and knowing what the show is now, I'd still like to see it again :)

My one word of advice is to not go searching for something extra you hear/read/or saw on the internet. Somethings are better stumbled upon and aren't nearly as interesting (or tasty) if you spent an hour in the heat searching for it.

I don't think so at all. Despite looking at all the reviews and pictures wherever you see them, there's absolutely nothing like seeing main street and the castle in person for the first time. Or anytime you enter MK actually, it never gets old. Your trip is your trip and that's what makes it so magical!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter