Am I really missing something if I dont book Palo?

mmmears

DIS Veteran
Newbie here.

I've heard that the Palo brunch is wonderful and that dinner is, too. We're only taking a 3-day cruise and we have our DD with us (kids not allowed in Palo, right?). We were thinking that the food in the standard restaurants should be fine for us.

Are we really missing something special if we dont book a Palo brunch (or dinner)?

Is it something we should reconsider?

Frankly, I did MANY cruises before I did Palo. You are actually missing something if you DO Palo. You will miss one of the "normal" restaurants. Even on the 7 day cruises, you'll be missing one of the menus. Yes, Palo is wonderful, but so is the rest of the cruise. I'd be tempted to save it till your next cruise when the kids will be older (more able to go to dining room on their own) and you'll have already experienced the "normal" restaurants. There is no brunch on the 3 day (at least I don't think so....)

You are right that kids are not allowed--that's the whole point!

you will be fine w/o Palo. We've done 3 Disney Cruises, each time had our two kids with us, and our kids are the type that do NOT like going to the kids' clubs. We all hang together as a family. I've heard that Palo is fabulous but we've chosen not to do it because the kids cannot come with us.

You will see a lot of comments about the food in the rotational restaurants (both good & bad), but we've always really enjoyed the food, not to mention seeing our wonderful servers each evening. If DH and I ever go alone then we will do Palo.

I would recommend that you do what will work best for your family. :) Enjoy your cruise!

We're not doing Palo this time. I go on a Disney cruise to enjoy my family and want my daughter to eat with us until she's old enough to think that it is way cooler to eat with her friends than dear old mom. Enjoy it while I can and all that.

I'll probably give it a try on the 10-night Med cruise we're doing, at least the brunch. I love brunch, so that might be worth ditching DD, lol.

Thank you all so much for your quick replies. We really want to have a family-oriented trip so skipping Palo seems to be the right decision. Thanks for the advice!

ITA with the above comments. We did not go to Palo our first cruise and even now that I know what Palo offers, we didn't miss anything. We chose to experience everything with our kids that first cruise and do not regret it a bit. We have enjoyed it very much since then with our friends but I do not feel that a reservation at Palo will "make or break" your cruise experience.

Newbie here.

I've heard that the Palo brunch is wonderful and that dinner is, too. We're only taking a 3-day cruise and we have our DD with us (kids not allowed in Palo, right?). We were thinking that the food in the standard restaurants should be fine for us.

Are we really missing something special if we dont book a Palo brunch (or dinner)?

Is it something we should reconsider?

Our first was a 3-day as well, and we had a 2 1/2 year-old with us, so we did not do Palo.

I personally think that if you go back (when you go back?) you should try to work it in...it is some of the best food on the ship, IMO.

But for your first time, not a necessity...

Did 2 other crusies and didn't book it because we did not want to miss the other dinning with our kids. Now we are doing the 7 day double dip and I am thinking we might try it...just do not know what night since I don't want to miss the Pirate Party or Animators.

Although I like Palo, count me as a vote for missing it not being the end of the world. Have a great cruise!

On a 3 day, I would skip Palo, enjoy the time with your children. We were on the 7 day and did enjoy Palo brunch, but our kids didn't want to come out of the clubs, so it was a different situation.

I can't see paying for even more food. Plus, I don't like missing the regular dinners.

OP, I hope you don't mind me jumping in here but I have been wondeirng the same thing. :goodvibes I'm so glad you asked this question.

If you only have 3 days on the ship, miss Palo. It was great, don't get me wrong. And we'll probably do the dinner again on our next cruise, but it's 7 days, much more time to enjoy extras. On a 3 day, I would just enjoy family time and the ship in general. And to be honest, if I didn't get reservations, I wouldn't be all that broken up about it;)

While I really want to experience Palo, I am thinking of skipping the dinner, too. Not sure yet...

Do they offer a Palo Brunch on the 4 Night Cruise? :confused:

Thank you for asking, and also thank you for all of your opinions, it was much needed in out house. :)

Frankly, I did MANY cruises before I did Palo. You are actually missing something if you DO Palo. You will miss one of the "normal" restaurants. Even on the 7 day cruises, you'll be missing one of the menus. Yes, Palo is wonderful, but so is the rest of the cruise. I'd be tempted to save it till your next cruise when the kids will be older (more able to go to dining room on their own) and you'll have already experienced the "normal" restaurants. There is no brunch on the 3 day (at least I don't think so....)

You are right that kids are not allowed--that's the whole point!

I totally agree with all of this! :thumbsup2

We just got back on 8/15 - The service was fabulous, but if you don't book it you won't be missing a grand affair. My husband and I enjoyed it, but most likely would not do it again.

Obviously I'm in the minority here, but we wouldn't want to miss Palo! Love the staff, the service, the FOOD and yes, it's a luxury for us to have a dinner without the kids, knowing they are happily occupied! The kids always seem to enjoy having a break from sitting through a restaurant meal - instead having room service or something on Deck 9.

81 days to our next cruise and I can smell the chocolate souffle already! :thumbsup2

I have not done Palo's so can't comment on that directly. Our first cruise with the kids was a 4 night cruise and wanted to be together as a family. What you can do though is tell your waiter that you would like the Chocolate Souffle from Palo's for desert in the regular restaurants and they will get it for you. You have to tell them the night before and it also helps to give them a little xtra tip at the time you request the service. But they did this for us and it was heavenly.

In November my wife and I are doing the bounceback cruise alone so we will definetely be trying Palo's first hand.

If it was a 3 night with kids though I would agree that I would probably want to spend it with the kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter