Am I reading this correctly?? Birth Certificate...

I'm leaving in 10 days. At this point, my only option is to find out the correct form of a birth certificate that will allow me to board the ship.

Big thanks to those who answered my original question! I will just take the copy I have from the Vital Statistics office and worst case scenario, it will cost me $14 to replace it if it gets lost. :yay:

I was going to tell you that you could have a name change added to your passport for free, as I did some years ago, but I thought I would look it up first. Good thing I did because it changed.:rolleyes1 If you have had you passport for less than a year, you can send it in for a free change, but if it longer than a year, you now have to pay the renewal fee. Also learned that you have to pay for extra pages now as well.:worship:

TO CLEAR THINGS UP... I just called DCL to verify so if anyone is following this thread with similar concerns... here is what I found out:

A photocopy IS allowed (black ink... white paper... from a regular copy machine) as long as it is very clear and legible. Obviously some birth certificates (especially older ones) can get light over the years or crumbled up or ripped... so those may not copy as well.

Thanks again to all who replied and I hope this helps others! :cheer2:

This is a HUGE change from past policy! I know many have had to rush shipment of certified copies of BCs in order to board the ship the next day. They won't take a copy of a PP so I don't understand why they would take one of a BC. I really hope that you don't have a problem at check in. Those who have been on this board a while know that with DCL's 800# you will get a different answer every time you call back for many topics.

To late for a new passport but if you plan to travel more invest in one. Than there is no question about ID. On our Alaska cruise with NCL, the poor couple behind us was told they would absolutely NOT be allowed on ship without a passport. My heart stopped a little because I almost didn't bring mine. From reading other threads on this topic it is confusing because all cruise lines seem to have different rules. But if you have one your good to go anywhere. Just make sure your name is changed. That could cause all kinds of trouble.

I'm leaving in 10 days. At this point, my only option is to find out the correct form of a birth certificate that will allow me to board the ship.

Big thanks to those who answered my original question! I will just take the copy I have from the Vital Statistics office and worst case scenario, it will cost me $14 to replace it if it gets lost. :yay:

OK, I see - wish you all the best - I sincerely hope it works out for you :goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes

As PPs have said, it must be an official copy.

I don't know if it's changed, but in our cruise book on our most recent DCL cruise is says:

"Original or certified copy of their state issued birth certificate."

Unfortunately, the official word at the passport site says:

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). "
http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/eng_sa.html

It doesn't specify that the copy has to be certified. I will point out, however, that cruiselines can (and do) have stricter requirements than the government policy.

You have to read the requirement as a whole. What is required is Proof of Citizenship. The cite then lists examples of proof of citizenship, which include original or copy of a birth certificate. However, not ALL birth certificates will prove citizenship, even if they are official copies. An unofficial copy of a birth certificate proves nothing. It is your responsibility to prove citizenship.

My daughter has an official, certified certificate of birth - of foreign birth! It is issued by the state of Colorado, it's on special green paper, it has a seal, and it is a birth certificate, but it is NOT proof of citizenship (says it right on the document). I can't argue that the 'rules' say they will accept a copy of a birth certificate as proof of citizenship and so therefore must accept this birth certificate from the state of Colorado.

The requirement is to prove citizenship. You also have the option of using one of the documents listed,including a proper birth certificate, or even a document that isn't listed that will prove citizenship (like a Certificate of Citizenship, not listed, but perfectly good).

I think the passport in the 'old' name is still good. If you hand it to the customs agent, he'll look at it, look at you, and off you go. (you may be questioned by the DCL clerk at embarkation as when they swipe the passport it will show a name difference. I don't think he'll even ask for your married name or notice that it is different. But take all the other stuff with you (birth certificate, marriage license, driver's license) and see what they want.

Nancy

Also too late for the OP - but for anyone else - you could have made the reservation in your maiden name (to match your passport.) This is what many new brides have to do for a honeymoon immediately following the wedding.

I will be interested to find out how the check-in and return through immigration goes with just a photo copy, because THAT is completely new to me (on ANY cruiseline.)

But if you have one to photocopy, why are you not bringing that "original?"

Maddle

Also too late for the OP - but for anyone else - you could have made the reservation in your maiden name (to match your passport.) This is what many new brides have to do for a honeymoon immediately following the wedding.

I will be interested to find out how the check-in and return through immigration goes with just a photo copy, because THAT is completely new to me (on ANY cruiseline.)

Maddle

This is what I did and since I changed my name within a year of getting my passport, I got to change it for free. Thank goodness!

Maddle

People seem to want the 'original' document home in the safe, which I don't understand. You can get another one if something happens to the first one. Why risk being denied boarding because a CM at the 1-800 number said it was okay? That's really not going to pull a lot of weight with customs and immigration.

Nancy

People seem to want the 'original' document home in the safe, which I don't understand. You can get another one if something happens to the first one. Why risk being denied boarding because a CM at the 1-800 number said it was okay? That's really not going to pull a lot of weight with customs and immigration.

Nancy

Like I said earlier... "I will just take the copy I have from the Vital Statistics office and worst case scenario, it will cost me $14 to replace it if it gets lost." No big deal.

I was told that it must have a raised seal. I took 'copy' to mean a copy from the bureau of vital statistics, as they keep the original on file there. Bad wording, though.

I was told that it must have a raised seal. I took 'copy' to mean a copy from the bureau of vital statistics, as they keep the original on file there. Bad wording, though.

Not all states use a raised seal on their certified, official copies. Some states use a special paper, have a watermark, or just a signed (by registrar) statement saying it's a certified copy.

But, I also take it to mean a copy issued by the vital statistics office.

Not all states issue them with raised seals. Some just have watermarks. Also in the past it has to be the long form of the BC with both parents' full names.

Like I said earlier... "I will just take the copy I have from the Vital Statistics office and worst case scenario, it will cost me $14 to replace it if it gets lost." No big deal.

The worst case scenario would be not allowed to embark or miss the ship while at a foreign port for one reason or another.

Good luck, I hope everything works out.

I just checked the DCL website again, and it specifically states photocopies of state issued birth certificates are acceptable. We leave Saturday and that's what we're taking for the kids. This is for U.S. citizens.

this is what it says on the U.S. Customs and Border Protection web site

U.S. Citizens on closed-loop cruises will be able to enter or depart the country on the cruise with proof of citizenship, such as an original or copy of his or her birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born)

Here is the link: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139/kw/travling with green card onclosed loop cruises

this is what it says on the U.S. Customs and Border Protection web site

U.S. Citizens on closed-loop cruises will be able to enter or depart the country on the cruise with proof of citizenship, such as an original or copy of his or her birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born)

Here is the link: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139/kw/travling with green card onclosed loop cruises

Yeah, but it reads a little ambiguously. Does the "issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born" mean the original must be issued but any copy (photocopy) is good. Or does it mean both the original AND/OR the copy must be issued by the Vital Records Department?

I found what Disney says about photo copies

All Guests claiming U.S. citizenship must present one of the following as proof of U.S. citizenship:
A valid U.S. Passport
A valid U.S. Passport Card
A valid state-issued Enhanced Driver's License - this is a special type of license that provides proof of identity and U.S. citizenship; not all states offer Enhanced Driver's Licenses - visit http://www.getyouhome.gov for the most up to date list of participating states
A valid Trusted Traveler Card (NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
Government-issued photo ID along with one of the following:
Original or copy of their state issued birth certificate
Puerto Rico birth certificates issued prior to 7/1/10 are not acceptable
Original Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State
Original Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
Guests under the age of 16 may present one of the following:
Original or copy of their state issued birth certificate
Original Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State
Original Certificate of Naturalization issued by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
With the exception of the state issued birth certificate, photocopies of the above documents are not acceptable. Hospital issued birth certificates are not acceptable proof of U.S. citizenship for purposes of traveling outside of the U.S.

Guests disembarking in a foreign port and not returning to the ship should be sure that they meet all of the documentation and entry requirements of that country. In addition, they may be assessed a fine or penalty according to local or national regulations.

But it says for guest under the age of 16. It doesn't say adults can. :confused3

Yeah, but it reads a little ambiguously. Does the "issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born" mean the original must be issued but any copy (photocopy) is good. Or does it mean both the original AND/OR the copy must be issued by the Vital Records Department?

I read it as the copy is from the Vital Records Department. The original is the first one ever issued all the others are copies.

Hey it's the government it's always confusing.

I read it as the copy is from the Vital Records Department. The original is the first one ever issued all the others are copies.

Hey it's the government it's always confusing.

Yeah, that's how I read it, also. But it's really open for interpretation. :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter