Am I Reading Correctly About a Fast Pass for Toy Story Mania?

We've been twice and I send DH up to the front of rope drop and both times he was within the first 5 people to get to the fast pass machines and our fast passes were for in the 10 o'clock hour!?! And then we get in stand-by and ride it (waiting about 15 min). Come out do the Mermaid Show and maybe something else and come back and get another fast pass and that one is usually for sometimes after 3 or 4. So, then we have 2 fastpasses to use later on that day.

I can't imagine if you are getting there relatively quicky them being for 4 or 5 already???? Maybe that happens to people there in the summer or busy times?? We were there late Sept for free dining in 2008 and then this past Dec for free dining so it was still crowded but not summer crowds.

If the park opens at 9 I think the first fast pass they issue is for 10. I believe I read that somewhere, but I'm not positive.

I can't imagine if you are getting there relatively quicky them being for 4 or 5 already????

Right.

Even if you're toward the back of the Rope Drop Crowd, and even if you walk slowly, and even if you have to wait in line at the Fast Pass machines for 20 minutes, your return time will still be noon or earlier.

Now if you don't get to the park until 9:30, well, then that's a different story..... ;)

The key is to be there for Rope Drop.

One thing to mention is if someone in your party is getting you all fastpasses then you will need to wait for that person before you get in the standby line. Cast Members were advising to have ALL of your party together before entering the standby line. Some people can get very ugly if you do not do this. I was one of those people. ;) Seriously, we had several people push through our party in line to meet up with their party and almost knocked us over because they were in such a hurry to meet their party who was all the way at the very front of the line. Another thing is if you only do the fastpass for this ride you won't get to see Mr. Potato Head or all the other cute toys in the standby line.

we were there on the 19th and by 10 am all the fp were gone and the wait time was over an hour so it will be 2 more year before we get a chance to ride tsm we were at the park at rd but with the kids and the mob pushing and shoving that way we just went to tot and rnr

I am SO glad we did the "Give A Day" thing and are turning our vouchers in for the special Fastpasses, as we are doing a half day at DHS and won't be getting there until after lunch. Otherwise I'm sure there'd be no hope of us riding it that day. :goodvibes

Totally depends on when you go (day/time of year)

In early Dec '08, crowds were low-moderate, return times just after park open were around 2-3pm

The week before Thanksgiving '09, crowds were super low, return times at noon were about 5pm, so I'd assume they were relatively much shorter at RD.

During a busy time I could definitely see FPs close to park open being very late in the afternoon

We must have gotten really lucky last week, because we got to the park around 10:30 am on the 20th and had absolutely no problem getting fast passes (1:15-ish return time?). We also got through the standby line in about 20 minutes, despite the wait time being listed as 40 minutes. I have a picture of the queue area (the Candy Land part to almost Mr Potato Head) that has absolutely no people in it.

In September 2009, I got a FP at 8:20 am with a return of 9:30-10:30 (obviously we were there during EMHs), then when we rode at 9:45, I got another FP for 11:50-12:50 pm. I'd say you can definitely get a FP during a less busy time until at least 11 am or noon.

I agree with a previous poster - it depends on when you go. We were in WDW in early October, made it to the park for rope drop and like everyone else headed straight for TSM. When we arrived almost everyone got in line for fastpasses, DH and I went straight into the standby line and got on the ride in about ten minutes. When we came back out the standby time was still only around 20 minutes so we just got back in line and managed to ride twice with minimal wait. After the second ride the fast pass queue had settled down a bit and we got fastpasses for about 2pm

One thing to mention is if someone in your party is getting you all fastpasses then you will need to wait for that person before you get in the standby line. Cast Members were advising to have ALL of your party together before entering the standby line. Some people can get very ugly if you do not do this. I was one of those people. ;) Seriously, we had several people push through our party in line to meet up with their party and almost knocked us over because they were in such a hurry to meet their party who was all the way at the very front of the line. Another thing is if you only do the fastpass for this ride you won't get to see Mr. Potato Head or all the other cute toys in the standby line.

Yes - I should have mentioned that too. DH was standing there waiting for me and the kids. We parked the stroller, grabbed the kids and jumped in line. I would never consider sending him in line without us - that kind of stuff bugs the heck out of me! LOL

This is a fun ride but not a make or break experience. I did the rope drop run last October and picked the wrong line, must have taken 10 minutes or longer to get fast passes. We then stood in the stand by line and waited less than 20 minutes. Later when the fast passes were good we waited 20 minutes for the ride. One of the best things about the stand by line is Mr. Potato Head he is very cool. Unfortunately you skip this whole experience in the fast pass line.

So my suggestion is to grab a fast pass to a different e-ticket ride at rope drop and just ride TSM first thing. For us it really was a one time ride for the hassle, although if there was zero-5 minute wait that would change.

We just got back yesterday and OMG :scared1: Rope drop was nightmarish. I didn't realize that it was so crazy! But, we did manage to get FP with a return of 10:15. We ended up getting to ride 3 times on our trip and my son really loved the ride, but I don't understand the hype.

Me either. :confused3 Maybe it's because it is a new ride.

oh yes, 2 years ago we arrived at rope drop and it was a mad dash to either get on line or a fast pass. We got luck and our fast pass was for around 12ish. Last year we got there at rope drop but got side tracked to take a picture with Eeyore and by the time we got there the stand by line was 2 hours long and fast pass was for 5pm... it wasnt even 9:30 am yet! We had to skip Toy Story, but Eeyore was worth it!!! :eeyore:

Was there late October and managed to get straight on with hardly any wait at rope drop - walked off ride and FP queue rush had went down considerably, about 5 mins max to wait and got a return time of 11am.

Depending on the size of the crowd we usualy just get in line for the ride and ride it! because with our schedule (or the lack of a schedule) if we wind up with late FP with our luck we would wind up in a show at the time of the fast pass! there are multiple ways to attack it! just take all the options and decide whats best for your family/group BEST OF LUCK :)

Please everyone be careful at rope drop. I saw a woman rush, get bumped and trip on a curb. She fell and her leg was sticking out to the side at a 90° angle at the knee. She was screaming (no wonder). It was awful. Please don't let this happen to you or be responsible for bumping someone else and causing an injury! I LOVE TSM but you can believe that I am not going to risk ending up like that poor lady. Be careful!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter