Am I Nuts?? 'Ohana vs O'hana

bdklein

DIS Veteran
Why does it bug me so much when people refer to O'hana va 'Ohana? The restaurant doesn't serve Corned Beef and Cabbage. And 'Ohana has meaning in the Hawaiian language.

And I know it's not just a typo most of time.

Ok, flame away.

Well, few of us speak or write Hawaiian, but that's not the only problem. We also have problems with our own native language...

your, you're
its, it's

and it's not just the apostrophe...

their, there, they're
two, to, too
etc., etc., etc

Clearly, speaking and writing English is not one of our nation's strongest suits.

I've used both in the past. Most are typos. If I don't catch it, my tablet will change it to 'Obama'. :confused3

Well, few of us speak or write Hawaiian, but that's not the only problem. We also have problems with our own native language...

your, you're
its, it's

their, there, they're
two, to, too
etc., etc., etc

Clearly, speaking and writing English is not one of our nation's strongest suits.

This bothers me more than misspelling a restaurant name. lol.

your, you're
its, it's

their, there, they're
two, to, too
etc., etc., etc

Your write. Lol.

Glad to know there are some other spelling and grammar ninjas out there.

your, you're
its, it's

their, there, they're
two, to, too
etc., etc., etc

Well, to bring this back to being Disney-related, how come every villain is a VILLIAN on the DIS?

Pet peeve....

The 'Ohana one drives me mad. It is 'OHANA, not O'Hana!

I used to refer to Akershus as Ashkerus though... so I can hardly talk! :rotfl:

And when people call Saratoga Springs 'Sarasota Springs' :sad1: Do not mistake the name of our second home! :rotfl2:

I am sure that I am guilty of the O'hana, but I'm also always craving a Guinness.

You know, I think I've been guilty of this many times simply because I've seen it typed out wrong here so many times that anything other than O'hana just looks wrong to me. I don't think I realize that I'm doing it, but will now be extra careful.

Incorrect spelling/word usage drives me insane. I know that many find it unimportant but when I read something with "your" instead of "you're" (or the like), my brain automatically stops, makes the correction and a comment about improper grammar undoubtedly pops in my head (I do restrain myself and hold my tongue ... usually). That makes me lose my train of thought and takes away from the message that I was reading. It's distracting. So I understand what you mean (and will notice 'Ohana from now on).

I drop the apostrophe on 'Ohana (the one that comes before the O!) I do not replace it with the apostophe after the O. That bugs me too. :wave2:

I know it has one before the O, I'm just too lazy to type it every time; in my defense, most restaurants are referred to on the DIS by an acronym anyway, so that's why I do it. (yep, that's my story and I'm sticking with it, lol)

Actually, I think I started dropping the first apostrophe because I believe it's sole existence has given rise to the whole "wrong" apostrophe thing!

Anyway, I'm far to busy cringing when I read "should of" to worry about that first apostrophe :stir:

your, you're
its, it's

their, there, they're
two, to, too
etc., etc., etc

Amen. I cringe when people do those things in their posts. Or worse with the texting stuff - using U instead of you or BC instead of because. I want to read things, not have my mind interpreting what you just wrote.

Another misspelling that gets to me is "viola" instead of "voila". Why would you want to exclaim, "Stringed Instrument!" rather than "Behold!"?

Why does it bug me so much when people refer to O'hana va 'Ohana? The restaurant doesn't serve Corned Beef and Cabbage. And 'Ohana has meaning in the Hawaiian language.

And I know it's not just a typo most of time.

Ok, flame away.

Don't forget the even more popular "O'hana's", to go along with "Jiko's", "Boma's", and so on. (Many restaurants are named as if they belong to someone, but not all of 'em!)

Then there's the ubiquitous apostrophe - "I just bought six apple's", or "The dog didn't finish it's dinner."

Or, to bring it back to the DISboards, "What do you think of my ADR's?"

Don't forget the even more popular "O'hana's", to go along with "Jiko's", "Boma's", and so on. (Many restaurants are named as if they belong to someone, but not all of 'em!)

Then there's the ubiquitous apostrophe - "I just bought six apple's", or "The dog didn't finish it's dinner."

Or, to bring it back to the DISboards, "What do you think of my ADR's?"

ARGH! I agree with the apostrophe misuse! You do know that someone is going to show up here soon and accuse everyone of being elitist grammar police. :lmao: It'll go to 20 pages, the mods will have to shut it down. :duck:

ARGH! I agree with the apostrophe misuse! You do know that someone is going to show up here soon and accuse everyone of being elitist grammar police. :lmao: It'll go to 20 pages, the mods will have to shut it down. :duck:

u r all elitist grammer police:rotfl2:

sorry couldn t resist!! i used to be a teacher and we constantly had work handed in with u r etc as kids cant write anymore!!
that said, us brits do spell things differently from americans, so sometimes when i "check" spellings on here, i look at the source before my brain changes it!!! how sad am i???
ps i always write ohanas, never use the ' so im worse than anyone!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter