• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Am I just not getting the ALCOHOL mini bottles as FE gifts?

Soapbox time...

FEs are about sharing and having fun with your fellow cruisers. For the life of me I cannot understand how folks can be so rude as to complain about or question why someone gave a particular gift in a FE... be that a mini nip of booze... a pirate eye patch from Oriental Trading... or a Nascar bookmark from Indianapolis. DUH (palm to forehead) obviously they though you might enjoy it or be interested in their gift.

Yes I agree that a well planned out FE exchange should ask, on ours I asked for allergies or issues we should be aware of... and some of my cruisers did not want booze... or candy... or nuts... or a fruit scented product, not a big deal. But It really bothers me that the recipient of such a small and generous thing as a FE gift would be so rude as to dissect the motive or degrade the quality of a gift. Lets have some class.

It also bugs me that some folks need the world to be so over "policed":

"You shouldn't give a nip to someone else because my kid may not be able to control themselves and will steal it and guzzle it down while I stand there helplessly watching..."

Take responsibility... of yourself and of your kids. Special needs is not an excuse to run rampant and out of control, grabbing things out of strange FEs... or from stores... or taking drinks left on tables. Nor is being on vacation a time away from active parenting. Some of the worst behaved children I have ever seen have had no special needs whatsoever, just bad parents who cannot control them or be bothered to teach them how to behave (yes I am perfectly aware that not all "needs" are obvious to the eye... I am actually referring to the children of friends that I personally know... cute and well dressed little monsters, but spoiled brats nonetheless).

Yes I have children and I remember being shocked at one of our first family trips to WDW when a woman came and found me in the store to tell me how polite my son was when after bumping into her, he said "excuse me" and helped her pick up her stuff... she actually came and found me to tell me about it... I was proud of my son... but shocked that his actions was considered some sort of special behavior ... so out of the ordinary that required her finding me the parent to share. :rotfl2:

FE are done by your fellow cruisers... not professional CM... but regular folks taking time out of their day to share something with you that they thought you might like... Whatever the gift you receive...be grateful that you were honored so. If it is not something that you want or need then pass it along... or get rid of it... no harm no foul. But it is a task fit for Sisyphus to try to please everyone.... and on the upcoming Fantasy 7/20... my cabin will be 7182... I and my husband will gladly take care of any unwanted mini booze bottles and keep them safe from little hands.... IN MAH BELLY!!!

She probably wouldn't have liked it, but may not have known it wasn't pop as she doesn't usually drink it- Her mom is a meanie.

You should have let her, and let her think it was pop! Then she'd never want to drink pop again!

WOW! This thread has taken a few different directions... Sugarmag- this is was NOT to kill the FE fun at all. If you read my OP it was not to offend anyone, but more of a question on how it was legal or even in a sense moral. Legal being, why or how is someone able to give it if it has a LEGAL age restriction. Well, that seems to have been clarified by a laywer who knows the law... Call me naive, but if it has to do with alcohol I am clueless. but Some of the posters have clarified this, as well by, ummm compared it to a peanut allergy, candy, plastic toys, homemade gifts. NOT the same. Peanuts do not have an age restriction attached to them.

Yes FErs have been around for a long time. I started participating shortly after they were "invented." Maybe no one has had problems but in a SUE happy world I was just asking a question. giving alcohol is such a Grey area, due to the fact that some do some don't. I get that. Putting it on the FE list if a participant would like it is a great idea. I do not judge or think anything less of someone who prefers to drink alcohol responsibly, but as a personal conviction and religious belief I do not believe in it. This again, is a grey area and the underline issue being imho if it has a age restriction attached why give it as a gift? Yes, giving it at a Group meet is a wonderful idea. This would help deter child/teen hands from getting these out of FErs. Do it!

Our family had 6 rooms our last cruise and All of which do not drink except my brother in law who was onboard. Each room was given 3 bottles in one day... Needless to say each day they were all given to him before the kids were able to know they were in there. my BIL was one happy guy!

But everyone needs to be honest here with the other concern/thought... this post said it best by Narnia_girl "what will probably happen some day is a kid who is not affiliated with dis is going to grab a bottle and his parents will complain because he's ingested alcohol and disney will ban fe's altogether"
How is it that Disney allows to have unopened bottles of alcohol hanging in the empty hallways of their ship with zero monitoring of this. Do they know we swap alcohol? If so then great... swap away. Or if they found out it was being given out would they stop our FE groups. This is what this was all about... and this thread has gotten mean and nasty with opinions to the point of even name calling and referring bad parenting skills.

I again, WAS never "complaining" about FE gifts. I believe the FE idea is the best at sea. It is one of the highlights to cruising Disney. People give and we are grateful to receive. But as a rhetorical question... I just DIDN'T see how it was allowed to be given, if it has a legal age restriction onboard.
Now can everyone, just get along? sheesh.:crazy2:

WOW! This thread has taken a few different directions... Sugarmag- this is was NOT to kill the FE fun at all. If you read my OP it was not to offend anyone, but more of a question on how it was legal or even in a sense moral. Legal being, why or how is someone able to give it if it has a LEGAL age restriction. Well, that seems to have been clarified by a laywer who knows the law... Call me naive, but if it has to do with alcohol I am clueless. but Some of the posters have clarified this, as well by, ummm compared it to a peanut allergy, candy, plastic toys, homemade gifts. NOT the same. Peanuts do not have a law restriction attached to them.

Yes FErs have been around for a long time. I started participating shortly after they were "invented." Maybe no one has had problems but in a SUE happy world I was just asking a question. giving alcohol is such a Grey area, due to the fact that some do some don't. I get that. Putting it on the FE list if a participant would like it is a great idea. I do not judge or I think nothing less of someone who prefers to drink alcohol responsibly, but I as personal conviction and religious belief I do not believe in it. This again, is a grey area and the underline issue being imho if it has a age restriction attached why give it as a gift? Yes, giving it at a Group meet is a wonderful idea. This would help deter child/teen hands from getting these out of FErs. Do it!

Our family had 6 rooms our last cruise and All of which do not drink except my brother in law who was onboard. Each room was given 3 bottles in one day... Needless to say each day they were all given to him before the kids were able to know they were in there. my BIL was one happy guy!

But everyone needs to be honest here with the other concern/thought... this post said it best by Narnia_girl "what will probably happen some day is a kid who is not affiliated with dis is going to grab a bottle and his parents will complain because he's ingested alcohol and disney will ban fe's altogether"
How is it that Disney allows to have unopened bottles of alcohol hanging in the empty hallways of their ship with zero monitoring of this. Do they know we swap alcohol? If so then great... swap away. Or if they found out it was being given out would they stop our FE groups. This is what this was all about... and this thread has gotten mean and nasty with opinions to the point of even name calling and referring bad parenting skills.

I again, WAS never "complaining" about FE gifts. I believe the FE idea is the best at sea. It is one of the highlights to cruising Disney. People give and we are grateful to receive. But as a rhetorical question... I just DIDN'T see how it was allowed to be given, if it has a legal age restriction onboard.

I personally don't understand why people wouldn't be more concerned about teens/Tweens, freely roaming the ship, going around and stealing the bottles and drinking it themselves. I don't care how much you've trained a kid to make good choices, if the temptation is there and they are unsupervised it's gonna happen. Not with all kids but with some for sure.

I've participated in the FE twice. Never had an alcohol gift. Am glad no one passed those out.

WOW! This thread has taken a few different directions... Sugarmag- this is was NOT to kill the FE fun at all. If you read my OP it was not to offend anyone, but more of a question on how it was legal or even in a sense moral. Legal being, why or how is someone able to give it if it has a LEGAL age restriction. Well, that seems to have been clarified by a laywer who knows the law... Call me naive, but if it has to do with alcohol I am clueless. but Some of the posters have clarified this, as well by, ummm compared it to a peanut allergy, candy, plastic toys, homemade gifts. NOT the same. Peanuts do not have an age restriction attached to them.

Yes FErs have been around for a long time. I started participating shortly after they were "invented." Maybe no one has had problems but in a SUE happy world I was just asking a question. giving alcohol is such a Grey area, due to the fact that some do some don't. I get that. Putting it on the FE list if a participant would like it is a great idea. I do not judge or I think nothing less of someone who prefers to drink alcohol responsibly, but I as personal conviction and religious belief I do not believe in it. This again, is a grey area and the underline issue being imho if it has a age restriction attached why give it as a gift? Yes, giving it at a Group meet is a wonderful idea. This would help deter child/teen hands from getting these out of FErs. Do it!

Disney doesn't monitor OPEN alcohol on their ships. There is plenty of access to alcohol everywhere if kids want to get into it. I just dont think they see it as any kind of big deal. if they did, there wouldnt be access to alcohol at the pools, ect. it wouldonly be availible in adult area where children could t get their hands on an attended glass. Honestly, I think it is the parent's responsibility to control thier child.

WOW! This thread has taken a few different directions... Sugarmag- this is was NOT to kill the FE fun at all. If you read my OP it was not to offend anyone, but more of a question on how it was legal or even in a sense moral.

I did not mean to suggest that you specifically offended anyone or was complaining . or rude or a bad parent.. and if that was how you took it, then I sincerely apologize as that was not my intent... and I am sorry if the title to my post suggested otherwise... rather I was replying to the thread in general to parents who specifically said they could not control their children... or found fault with gifts. What one person considers moral is highly subjective which is why my intent was to point out that ANY FE gift comes from the best intentions of generosity and should be received as such even if it is not to one's personal tastes.

Considering how much alcohol is available on a ship... monitored or un-monitored... if a kid/teen wants to get drunk they will, which is why keeping an eye on what your children are doing is important. As far as what Disney knows or cares about... Disney would also probably like to get their $$ royalties from all the Disney themed gifts that have used characters and representations without respect to copyright... yes also illegal and sadly yes we do live in a sue happy and silly world, doesn't make it right, but it exists...

I agree and please see my first comment, I am sorry if you felt "singled out" that was not my intent...

WOW! This thread has taken a few different directions... Sugarmag- this is was NOT to kill the FE fun at all. If you read my OP it was not to offend anyone, but more of a question on how it was legal or even in a sense moral. You are questioning people's morals but expect them not to be offended? Legal being, why or how is someone able to give it if it has a LEGAL age restriction. While I am positive the alcohol given as FEs are meant for adults, the US laws regarding alcohol consumption are not as cut and dry as one might imagine. See the link I posted below for all the divergences from the assumed 21 year old law. , that seems to have been clarified by a laywer who knows the law... Call me naive, but if it has to do with alcohol I am clueless. but Some of the posters have clarified this, as well by, ummm compared it to a peanut allergy, candy, plastic toys, homemade gifts. NOT the same. Peanuts do not have an age restriction attached to them.

Our family had 6 rooms our last cruise and All of which do not drink except my brother in law who was onboard. Each room was given 3 bottles in one day... Needless to say each day they were all given to him before the kids were able to know they were in there. Why would you need to hide the fact that there was alcohol from the kids? If they've been taught not to "consume substances", why is it a problem if they see them? My father NEVER drank, instructed us that he thought alcohol was a bad idea, but was never offended when he was given a bottle of liquor for Christmas (he was in sales). He just regifted it or stuck it in a cupboard somewhere in case he had visitors (us included) that would like a drink. my BIL was one happy guy!

How is it that Disney allows to have unopened bottles of alcohol hanging in the empty hallways of their ship with zero monitoring of this. Do they know we swap alcohol? Of course they do. Cruise lines monitor message boards (not just DCL/DIS) and these exchanges have been going on for years, alcohol included. If so then great... swap away. Or if they found out it was being given out would they stop our FE groups. This is what this was all about... and this thread has gotten mean and nasty with opinions to the point of even name calling and referring bad parenting skills. I think some might have taken exception to your "rant" (your word, not mine) regarding lack of adherence to laws and moral codes. Specifically YOUR moral code.

I again, WAS never "complaining" about FE gifts. I believe the FE idea is the best at sea. It is one of the highlights to cruising Disney. People give and we are grateful to receive. But as a rhetorical question... I just DIDN'T see how it was allowed to be given, if it has a legal age restriction onboard. A rhetorical question is one you don't expect an answer to, they are to make a point. I don't suggest you post them on public message boards unless you want people to take your point and respond.

http://drinkingage.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=002591

My responses underline why your posts got the responses they did. I read the thread with humor without responding for some time but finally decided to weigh in after your last post. Nobody is giving mini bottles to children even though you suggested they were with your smoking on the verandah comment. If minors are taking them, that is a behavioral/parenting issue the giver is not responsible for. You've mentioned your personal prohibition from drinking at least twice now and then you throw in the lack of morality you see in giving alcohol as gifts. I'm sure that has been perceived by many (myself included) that we lack morals because we drink.

People are going to respond in kind when insulted and everyone's perception is their reality.

This thread just needs shut down...it's quite sad At this point.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

bumbershoot said:
If I could say that about my son, that if he sees it in an FE he's going to take it no matter whose FE it is, there is no chance at all that I would be taking him on a cruise. Just no chance. If he cannot tell the difference between his and theirs, or his family's and someone else's family's stuff, it just doesn't seem appropriate to put the poor guy into that situation. Cruiseship hallways are narrow; there's stuff on the doors, there are FEs hanging. Peoples' drinks on tables, peoples' towels on chairs. etc etc. If he is going to grab whatever he sees and wants, are you SURE you want to go on this cruise with him?

Well, the term "tattletale" should refer to people who tell LIES. Or gross exaggerations or just silly things, like "Johnny breathed on me" or "Mary's dragon ate my lunch".

But telling the truth about someone breaking a rule isn't tattling. It's helping law and order of your environment. I believe they call it "whistleblowing" when you're an adult.

The poster used a word that shouldn't be used in this environment. We all agreed, whether we knew we were doing it or not, when we joined here to behave in a certain way. We all agreed that we might get warnings and/or infractions for doing so. There's no "tattling" when it comes to telling someone in authority that another member of the community had broken a rule that had been agreed upon.

My opinion is the same as the first I saw on this page...if you're a family with allergies or sensitivities or worries about what you might get, just don't participate. It's why we don't participate. I don't like having to throw things away; I kept a bag of Skittles for a month, because it was given to my son at his dance recital...we don't eat Skittles. Corn syrup and colors are not something any of us want to or can eat without reactions. But it was a gift, so I kept it simply because it was a gift. I don't need my life cluttered like that (it's cluttered enough!), and I don't want to have to throw things away, so we don't participate.

I don't think people should call eachother names but these boards do get pretty heated...but that doesn't mean someone's life is in danger. If someone was using a racial slur or was threatening someone, I could understand reporting them. I understand it is a "rule" ...and they get a warning. I'm not sure where the lesson is in that. You're not supposed to call anyone names but we all get worked up sometimes...it happens in life and it is no different then being online, on the computer. Can't you just state your beef without tattling and just move on...I guess that's easier for some then others...agree to disagree.

We were on a June cruise on the Dream and my 19 y/o son got a bottle of Crown Royal. We are not drinkers but knew that it was all in good fun. We took a few pics of him acting goofy with the bottle. It now sits on a shelf in my bedroom. I had no problem with him getting the bottle. I have seen posts on Facebook that quite a lot of people like to get them. So, if someone wants to give them, it was fine with me. We just joked around with it and then put it up.

I don't think people should call eachother names but these boards do get pretty heated...but that doesn't mean someone's life is in danger. If someone was using a racial slur or was threatening someone, I could understand reporting them. I understand it is a "rule" ...and they get a warning. I'm not sure where the lesson is in that. You're not supposed to call anyone names but we all get worked up sometimes...it happens in life and it is no different then being online, on the computer. Can't you just state your beef without tattling and just move on...I guess that's easier for some then others...agree to disagree.

Well I've never reported a post unless it was spam or porn. I think a discussion should continue, because if it's cut off in the middle then people can never meet back up in the middle, or finish the conversation. I HATE IT when threads are closed, I absolutely cannot stand it.

But calling something "tattling" is, IMO, a method of name-calling. A tattle-tale, as I was trying to say before, is a person who reports every tiny little thing, even when it's not important or even a broken rule. Calling something "tattling" is belittling the person's feelings.

If there's a rule and a person broke it, and if it's a rule the moderators feel is important to keep the group on a somewhat-decent path, it's not "tattling".

It's the word I disagree with. But I've never reported a post at all, apart from obvious spam or porn.

I personally don't understand why people wouldn't be more concerned about teens/Tweens, freely roaming the ship, going around and stealing the bottles and drinking it themselves. I don't care how much you've trained a kid to make good choices, if the temptation is there and they are unsupervised it's gonna happen. Not with all kids but with some for sure.

I've participated in the FE twice. Never had an alcohol gift. Am glad no one passed those out.

I've never had alcohol in my FE, although I'm not averse to the idea...

As for worrying about teens, I'd be more worried about the half finished glasses of wine and bar drinks I've seen sitting on the floor outside people's rooms waiting for room service to pick them up. If a teen is so desperate to drink that they'd resort to stealing, I'd think it would be easier to just pick up an unfinished glass of wine.

no harm no foul. But it is a task fit for Sisyphus to try to please everyone.... and on the upcoming Fantasy 7/20... my cabin will be 7182... I and my husband will gladly take care of any unwanted mini booze bottles and keep them safe from little hands.... IN MAH BELLY!!!

Holy cow! Take care of my room I get it next ;)

Sorry, back to the original topic.... I dont let little things like gifts bug me. Life is way too full of real issues.

I say, if you don't want it, throw it out, and as to kids getting their hands on it, that would be a parenting issue. It is a parents responsibility to teach their child right from wrong and to deal with the consequences if they choose to do wrong. I don't think anyone is liable for the misuse of stolen property which is what would be happening if a child stole and consumed alcohol from a FE. I personally don't see what the big deal is. Of you choose not to consume alcohol that is fine, just throw it away. Those parents who don't want their kids to have candy, gum, bubbles ect will do the same with those things left in FE's.

Completely agree with you.

Throw it away if you don't like it. I don't think a child who sees alcohol in a parents' stateroom, when they know their parents don't drink, will be scarred for life. If anything, it is a good family teaching moment, to drive home your own personal beliefs.

If you can't trust your child to not steal from peoples FE and drink out of random people's glasses on the ship, I think the liability lies with your parenting and not the other guests. My son used to run around the airport taking gum from under the seats,( he was 3) , I taught him that was gross, eww you don't want to get sick from other peoples germs I didn't blame the people who clearly thought putting gum under the seat or table was acceptable but I taught him not to do things like that.. That carried over, he doesn't drink out of random glasses now or pick up random things and eat them and I would like to think he wouldn't stop to go through random FE's in other peoples room looking for a bottle ... I let him drink in Aruba it was legal, when we came home he stopped.

Someone said they read this thread for humor and to be honest , I was as well. But, then in my infinite wisdom realized a gift is just that a gift.. and I'm not a big drinker but once in awhile I might have a little nip, those little gifts I get on the cruise are fun, and I look forward to them no matter what they are.. So , Thanks to those of you who participate for the fun of the exchange no matter what you give =)

This is one family who won't complain!

Soapbox time...

FEs are about sharing and having fun with your fellow cruisers. For the life of me I cannot understand how folks can be so rude as to complain about or question why someone gave a particular gift in a FE... be that a mini nip of booze... a pirate eye patch from Oriental Trading... or a Nascar bookmark from Indianapolis. DUH (palm to forehead) obviously they though you might enjoy it or be interested in their gift.

Yes I agree that a well planned out FE exchange should ask, on ours I asked for allergies or issues we should be aware of... and some of my cruisers did not want booze... or candy... or nuts... or a fruit scented product, not a big deal. But It really bothers me that the recipient of such a small and generous thing as a FE gift would be so rude as to dissect the motive or degrade the quality of a gift. Lets have some class.

It also bugs me that some folks need the world to be so over "policed":

"You shouldn't give a nip to someone else because my kid may not be able to control themselves and will steal it and guzzle it down while I stand there helplessly watching..."

Take responsibility... of yourself and of your kids. Special needs is not an excuse to run rampant and out of control, grabbing things out of strange FEs... or from stores... or taking drinks left on tables. Nor is being on vacation a time away from active parenting. Some of the worst behaved children I have ever seen have had no special needs whatsoever, just bad parents who cannot control them or be bothered to teach them how to behave (yes I am perfectly aware that not all "needs" are obvious to the eye... I am actually referring to the children of friends that I personally know... cute and well dressed little monsters, but spoiled brats nonetheless).

Yes I have children and I remember being shocked at one of our first family trips to WDW when a woman came and found me in the store to tell me how polite my son was when after bumping into her, he said "excuse me" and helped her pick up her stuff... she actually came and found me to tell me about it... I was proud of my son... but shocked that his actions was considered some sort of special behavior ... so out of the ordinary that required her finding me the parent to share. :rotfl2:

FE are done by your fellow cruisers... not professional CM... but regular folks taking time out of their day to share something with you that they thought you might like... Whatever the gift you receive...be grateful that you were honored so. If it is not something that you want or need then pass it along... or get rid of it... no harm no foul. But it is a task fit for Sisyphus to try to please everyone.... and on the upcoming Fantasy 7/20... my cabin will be 7182... I and my husband will gladly take care of any unwanted mini booze bottles and keep them safe from little hands.... IN MAH BELLY!!!

I Totally Agree with you!!! This thread is the reason I will not participate in FE.

Interesting thread. DH and I are both recovering alcoholics and while I would probably be miffed at getting mini alcohol bottles, he would probably roll his eyes and toss them in the garbage...

Interesting thread. DH and I are both recovering alcoholics and while I would probably be miffed at getting mini alcohol bottles, he would probably roll his eyes and toss them in the garbage...

Congratulations on your recovery! It is for instances like yours that I asked on my cruise meet thread who would not be interested in receiving alcohol. Best wishes for your continued success and a happy cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter