Am I just being unrealistic?

Oh good gravy! refurb due is NOT excuse to let rooms go-Disney is just milking every. single. dime. it can. And apparently guests put up with it too (cleaning MYSELF a >$400/night room??!! And have seen lots of complaints about Poly housekeeping issues too.) We stayed at BC in June-unrefurbed room. Bathroom had peeling wallpaper and grimy grout (clean but obviously stained) and some obvious wear and tear but the room was sparkling clean. Stayed in unrefurbished room at Royal Pacific and we couldn't find a single thing wrong- in fact we asked why the rooms were being refurbished when our room had nothing wrong! It was just "time" for updates!

Maybe if more guests actually complained and wrote to guest services about these specific issues (like OP had very specific things going on and explain that is dampened her experience to the point no more onsite stays) Disney would once again start caring.
Yes, first and last. Well,happy birthday to me! We're having a birthday celebration do over at home. Seems like people are having more problems with deluxe rooms? Which is peculiar given they are coined as luxury.

To the OP: I am sorry to hear about this. We experienced a similar situation at the Beach Club years ago. Trash not taken out, actually spilled in the room and never picked up (the housekeeper spilled the can), mold in the shower, the list went on and on.
I'd definitely talk to the housekeeping manager on duty! And I agree to do so before you leave.
We wrote a letter when we got home, and were offered a free night upon return. Well, we did end up going back for one night a while later, and the room they gave us had scaffolding outside the window. We didn't care, since it was just to sleep for one night.
I am writing a letter of complaint about the problems and gratitude for the first manager being so understanding and real with me. She didn't try to tow the company line, she recognized the effect it had on our stay. Unfortunately, housekeeping didn't seem to care.

To the OP: I am sorry to hear about this. We experienced a similar situation at the Beach Club years ago. Trash not taken out, actually spilled in the room and never picked up (the housekeeper spilled the can), mold in the shower, the list went on and on.
I'd definitely talk to the housekeeping manager on duty! And I agree to do so before you leave.
We wrote a letter when we got home, and were offered a free night upon return. Well, we did end up going back for one night a while later, and the room they gave us had scaffolding outside the window. We didn't care, since it was just to sleep for one night.
Yuck! That's amazing to me that someone who is paid to clean and make things "magical" could just keep looking at trash that way! I don't know what's up with housekeeping that they would do this. I've had housekeeping at even really cheap hotels go as far as tidying my disorganization on a desk or table. This has been the rule more than the exception in my experience.

Hahahahaha no! The Today show did a big expose last summer on how truly germy hotel rooms are- they had hidden cameras showing the maids not changing pillowcases! I do a thorough wipe down but I haven't started bringing my own pillowcases. Yet! It's not just Disney.... Hotels everywhere. Last room we stayed in at the Grand Floridian smelled like cleaner- which made me feel a little better!

There's stuff out there somewhere showing Disney mousekeeping where they clean the cups in the bathroom with the same rags (with chemical cleaners on them) and going right onto the counters or whatever else. We NEVER use the glasses, but we will use the plastic cups that are in the plastic wrap (after our last stay, we had a grocery stop on the way in... we bought our own stuff).

Which is peculiar given they are coined as luxury.

They are "luxury" resorts, but to the people that are the housekeepers... it's a job. There are only so many of them, so many rooms at the resort, all need cleaned in a certain amount of time. So if you do the math, that can leave a very small amount of time to spend on an overly dirty room.

We had an issue with one of our multiple rooms upon arrival last year at AKL CL. There was a musty smell to it. We went directly to the desk and asked for a different room. They checked and said they could move that room the next morning, which was fine. Then they sent maintenance up to check on the room and they confirmed it needed something done. They took that room out of service the next day. Everything was handled quickly, efficiently, and magically.

Oh good gravy! refurb due is NOT excuse to let rooms go-Disney is just milking every. single. dime. it can. And apparently guests put up with it too (cleaning MYSELF a >$400/night room??!! And have seen lots of complaints about Poly housekeeping issues too.) We stayed at BC in June-unrefurbed room. Bathroom had peeling wallpaper and grimy grout (clean but obviously stained) and some obvious wear and tear but the room was sparkling clean. Stayed in unrefurbished room at Royal Pacific and we couldn't find a single thing wrong- in fact we asked why the rooms were being refurbished when our room had nothing wrong! It was just "time" for updates!

Maybe if more guests actually complained and wrote to guest services about these specific issues (like OP had very specific things going on and explain that is dampened her experience to the point no more onsite stays) Disney would once again start caring.
In the world of the new Disney complaints don't mean anything. The only thing they'll respond to is lost revenue so complaints when they're still packing the resorts don't matter.

Last edited:
They are "luxury" resorts, but to the people that are the housekeepers... it's a job. There are only so many of them, so many rooms at the resort, all need cleaned in a certain amount of time. So if you do the math, that can leave a very small amount of time to spend on an overly dirty room.
Except if the room is basically clean except the dirt from the prior guest. There really was very little "new" dirt during our stay as we clean up after ourselves and don't think it's fair to leave housekeeping with a major task everyday. Perhaps if we had, she would have cleaned at least once.

I could see that being the case. But I can't see why the housekeepers at either the hampton inn or Hilton I just stayed at would consider their jobs more worthwhile. Is Disney paying housekeepers less than Hampton Inn? And what of the complaints seeming more common at deluxe resorts? Are the housekeepers at the all star resorts paid better or treated nicer? I can only suspect that there is a culture of apathy at some resorts which may or may not be related to workload. Especially given the deluxe resorts are smaller than the values and moderates if I recall.

There's stuff out there somewhere showing Disney mousekeeping where they clean the cups in the bathroom with the same rags (with chemical cleaners on them) and going right onto the counters or whatever else. We NEVER use the glasses, but we will use the plastic cups that are in the plastic wrap (after our last stay, we had a grocery stop on the way in... we bought our own stuff).

That doesn't surprise me at all. I'm betting they use the same rags to clean everything. Toilets, tubs, counters etc etc. Hotels are gross!

I could see that being the case. But I can't see why the housekeepers at either the hampton inn or Hilton I just stayed at would consider their jobs more worthwhile. Is Disney paying housekeepers less than Hampton Inn?

The Hampton Inn is still going to have germs all over the remote, the phone, the light switches, etc. I've seen hair in the tub, bathroom floor, beds etc at hotels all over the place. So it's not just Disney. But you've had a REALLY REALLY bad Disney housekeeping experience, and it's unacceptable.

I could see that being the case. But I can't see why the housekeepers at either the hampton inn or Hilton I just stayed at would consider their jobs more worthwhile. Is Disney paying housekeepers less than Hampton Inn? And what of the complaints seeming more common at deluxe resorts? Are the housekeepers at the all star resorts paid better or treated nicer? I can only suspect that there is a culture of apathy at some resorts which may or may not be related to workload. Especially given the deluxe resorts are smaller than the values and moderates if I recall.

I'd be willing to go out on a limb and say it's probably pay related. The fact that they are working in the luxury rooms of the YC, you would think they'd be getting more than Hampton or even Hilton, but maybe it's not the case. Maybe it's someone who's complacent at their job and they just go through the motions... Then you just have the fact that there are people that are better at the job than others.

I mean, without actually anonymously polling all of the mousekeeping at every resort, we'll never honestly know.

I dont
I'd be willing to go out on a limb and say it's probably pay related. The fact that they are working in the luxury rooms of the YC, you would think they'd be getting more than Hampton or even Hilton, but maybe it's not the case. Maybe it's someone who's complacent at their job and they just go through the motions... Then you just have the fact that there are people that are better at the job than others.

I mean, without actually anonymously polling all of the mousekeeping at every resort, we'll never honestly know.
I don't know if they're paid more, I just wouldn't expect them to be paid less. Maybe they are. But if you're in a position where you are working a really low paying job, one would think someone would only stay in that job if they had to. Meaning they need the job long or short term and it would be better to do the tasks that are part of the job than not do them at all.

The Hampton Inn is still going to have germs all over the remote, the phone, the light switches, etc. I've seen hair in the tub, bathroom floor, beds etc at hotels all over the place. So it's not just Disney. But you've had a REALLY REALLY bad Disney housekeeping experience, and it's unacceptable.
The germs I can deal with, with Lysol spray. Filth is another matter.

Well, I guess the end of he story is the housekeeping supervisor said she walked through the room and it looked fine to her. So I explained to the manager that she didn't check the shower.

Housekeeping issues are not the same as wear and tear issues. Which is what the two of us you quoted stated. No one has said that hair in the shower or on the floor is ok. A bit of peeling paint at a resort that has a refurb scheduled is something else entirely.

I dont

I don't know if they're paid more, I just wouldn't expect them to be paid less. Maybe they are. But if you're in a position where you are working a really low paying job, one would think someone would only stay in that job if they had to. Meaning they need the job long or short term and it would be better to do the tasks that are part of the job than not do them at all.
I don't think they are paid any less, but I do think they are expected to turn over many more rooms than your average hotel housekeeper in the same amount of time. I think that this is where issues like this come from. They always seem to be in a huge rush, and seem to have a very large area of rooms to clean per person.

Hi all, I wonder if any of you can maybe point me in the right direction about who I should discuss the condition of my room with. This is our first stay onsite, and I have ALWAYS wanted to stay at the Yacht or Beach Club resort. We're at YC. My room, although pretty, has some really funky things going on, like cracking peeling "brass" coloring on the doorknobs to and from the bathroom. Mysterious hot pink paint on one side of it also. There are various deep dents, scratches and long (what looks to be) marker marks around the room too, especially on the doors and some furniture. It definitely looks like it needs love and new paint, well, in some cases wallpaper. The carpet looks super clean, though, which is a relief for me! This is our 3rd day, and thankfully whoever cleaned our room today got rid of the hair on the walls and bathroom floor that was here when we checked in. Other people's hair grosses me out.. I don't want to be a nitpicky pestering guest, but I wonder if I should talk to someone about the state of disrepair the room is in. I understand sometime in the future there will be a renovation, but in the meantime, these rooms still cost a pretty penny to stay in. I'm sure mine is not the only one.

If I were as upset as you sound, I would first take some pictures with my phone, then walk down to the concierge desk and discuss it with them and show them the pictures. That said, the only thing you mentioned that I would probably even notice would be the hair.

Issues like this are unacceptable, especially at a "deluxe" resort. While the manager may have been understanding and comp'd you a night's stay, the bottom line is that they did not take whatever step was necessary to get the issue fixed. If the issue wasn't fixed after talking to the manager, I would have demanded to speak to the next level of manager. If they would have refused to allow you to do that, I would have considered that to be my last stay at a Disney Deluxe resort of any kind and would have made sure enough high level managers received my hand written letters when I got back home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter