Am I in a rut?

latexscooter

Be nice even if it takes some effort.
In 93 days we'll be on our way to the world for our annual trip. We're booked at POFQ. I'm about to make our final payment for the trip and have started seconded guessing our hotel stay.

We've stayed at POFQ several times and enjoy it immensely. We like the resort size, rooms and theme. When people ask me my favorite moderate I respond POFQ without hesitation. But now I'm starting to think that maybe the reason I like POFQ is because I've stayed there the most. We stayed at POR before and although it is very nice, I wasn't captivated and in love with it. We've never stayed at CSR onlyl because we live in South Texas and I'm concerned we would end up in an area that looks like home. (I love San Antonio but I go to Disney to escape.) So that leaves us with CBR. I've always hesitated because I grew up in South Florida and the beach doesn't hold the awe and adventure because I live within a couple miles of the ocean for so long.

So, is it me? Is it because I recently turned 40 and I've become a fuddy-duddy that doesn't like change or things new and different? Should I go with what works or throw caution to the wind and hop resorts?

(Disclaimer: I'm limited to the moderate level this year because next year we are doing Poly/Cruise so the compromise is moderate only... otherwise we'd be at AKL.)

Just curious...did you check out the AKL with the 40% off being offered or the $750 gift card? We upgraded to the WL because it was hard to pass compared to the values when offered such a great deal!

Its so hard to answer this. POFQ is our favorite mod. We have stayed there more times than any other resort (CBR, POR, Swan, AKL, OKW). I am like you, no CSR for us cause we live in the southwest and that looks like here!

But........we do love to try other resorts! We just base it upon what we plan to do on a trip, our budget, and what appeals to us! So, if you are happy with your choice, then it is the right choice for you! If you ever feel like trying someplace else, give it a try! Doesn't mean you are stuck with your choice forever!

I was excited when we tried AKL several years ago. We HATED the resort and would not go back......but I am glad we tried it.

Do what feels right for you!!!!

Just curious...did you check out the AKL with the 40% off being offered or the $750 gift card? We upgraded to the WL because it was hard to pass compared to the values when offered such a great deal!

I checked this morning and we're still looking at just over a grand more. I could do it but I'd have DH frowning at me a great deal and I'm afraid he'll scrap the Poly for next year which would KILL me.

In 93 days we'll be on our way to the world for our annual trip. We're booked at POFQ. I'm about to make our final payment for the trip and have started seconded guessing our hotel stay.

We've stayed at POFQ several times and enjoy it immensely. We like the resort size, rooms and theme. When people ask me my favorite moderate I respond POFQ without hesitation. But now I'm starting to think that maybe the reason I like POFQ is because I've stayed there the most. We stayed at POR before and although it is very nice, I wasn't captivated and in love with it. We've never stayed at CSR onlyl because we live in South Texas and I'm concerned we would end up in an area that looks like home. (I love San Antonio but I go to Disney to escape.) So that leaves us with CBR. I've always hesitated because I grew up in South Florida and the beach doesn't hold the awe and adventure because I live within a couple miles of the ocean for so long.

So, is it me? Is it because I recently turned 40 and I've become a fuddy-duddy that doesn't like change or things new and different? Should I go with what works or throw caution to the wind and hop resorts?

(Disclaimer: I'm limited to the moderate level this year because next year we are doing Poly/Cruise so the compromise is moderate only... otherwise we'd be at AKL.)

I was wondering the same exact thing. We've stayed at VWL two years running now, and both stays were really awesome. It's hard because I think of staying anywhere else, and I'm afraid I won't like it as well. My parents stayed at the BC this time out and we visited them there; it was gorgeous, but not as much my "style," KWIM?

This is the exact reason I end up ordering the same darned dishes in the restaurants I like. My feeling is that I like what I like, though, so why worry about it? ;)

Oh, and I forgot to say that I NEVER do a split-stay. Not for me. Whatever resort we choose, we are there for the duration!

I think it's tough to leave a resort that you feel comfortable with & yet we have this urge to try a new one b/c we are a bit bored too-narrowing it down we go through the same thing-not here-it's too much like home...or it's not a great theme for me...you could always do a split stay although I have never done one -many people here have & can give you great advice on it!

I was wondering the same exact thing. We've stayed at VWL two years running now, and both stays were really awesome. It's hard because I think of staying anywhere else, and I'm afraid I won't like it as well. My parents stayed at the BC this time out and we visited them there; it was gorgeous, but not as much my "style," KWIM?

This is the exact reason I end up ordering the same darned dishes in the restaurants I like. My feeling is that I like what I like, though, so why worry about it? ;)

I'm glad to know it's not limited to me. I do tend to order the same things as of late. We even moved twice within two years and I ordered the same appliances for the kitchen both times. I switched on the washer/dryer and I've been miserable ever since.

There's something comforting in knowing there are other people out there with your quirks and it's okay. :)

POFQ is my favorite but we are trying CBR . I'm already missing POFQ and we still have over 7 months to go. But if we do change resorts it will be for the AKL. WE are booked with FD but if a room only code comes out we are staying at AKL and doing the qsdp instead. We really don't care fo the RDP we seem like we are always needing to be some where.

We like our rut. We've stayed at POFQ several times (and going again in April), but last January decided to "change it up" and stayed at CBR. We didn't like it. If we weren't with our extended family, I would have tried to change resorts mid vacation. We definately prefer POFQ as a moderate. We have stayed at Deluxes (love them) and doing a split stay in April with POFQ and AKL. But for the money, POFQ rocks!

I see both sides. I have my favorite that feels like "home" and it's SO hard to branch out and try new places. I have gotten to the point though where I know I will be back to my favorite at some point, so it's not like, if I try something new and don't like it as much that I will never be at my favorite again..does that make sense? I am from New Orleans so I understand your CSR concern, I ahve always had the same concern with POFQ! I have never stayed at CBR, but I have stayed at CBR and thought it had a very deluxe feel for a mod, and had a cool pool! good luck with your decision!

I love, love, love POR and have stayed there 6 or 7 times. We are trying PORFQ in June and I am sure we will love it because we go there every trip. We were just down last week for 2 nights and tried 2 nights at CBR. It was fine and really didn't feel all that different. I am glad to say we tried it, the lake in the middle was nice, the only thing I missed at the food court was the make your own pasta and the oatmeal with fruit (they have oatmeal and I just bought the fruit separate). I thought they had a bigger selction of fresh fruit but fewer desserts but it may have just been picked over. I did miss the boat to DTD but we still got there but it was just by bus. I found it "weird" that the check in building is not in the same building as the food court and shopping. Probably saved my a bit of money because I could not browse while my DBF was taking care of "stuff" at the check in desk. CBR is big so it was a bit of a walk to the food court but not a big deal. The laundry is still by the pool, double sinks, fridge in the room, same Disney resort info on the TV etc

I am sure you will have a wonderful trip and you are still on Disney so the magic is there :)

If you already know you love POFQ then stay there. I have stayed at all the mods except CSR and POFQ is my favorite. I love the theming and the quiet relaxed feel. POR is beautiful too, but I just prefer the smaller size of FQ. CBR was okay , but the theming didn't thrill us and we won't be back there. Next time I stay moderate it will be at POFQ and won't feel bad about not trying something new.

We are very happy with our "rut" (we are both in our 50's--me early 50's, DH older :rotfl2: ). I don't find anything wrong with wanting to stay at the same resort over and over again. We've stayed at "our" resort eight of our last nine stays and plan on staying there again on our next visit (although we'll probably do a split stay and spend a couple of nights at the AKL as I've always wanted to stay there). We have come to the conclusion that there is no reason to mess with success and we've had near perfect stays at the CSR and have no desire to change.

Your "rut" sounds like a real nice place to be :rotfl2: We love the French Quarter :love: and I would be happy staying there for all my future trips :cloud9:

We always LOVED POFQ before we went with kids. The reasons you state are exactly why we love it. And there's no other resort that have the same features - the size, the theming, the location. All the other mods are much larger and the buildings are further apart.

If they would have family suites at POFQ, we would be there every vacation. Of course, now we're hooked on 1BR villas, and we're going to try a few different ones. Once we find one we like, we'll probably stick with it. I like to know what I'm getting into and what to expect with my vacation.

You're not in a rut - you are doing what you like and what you're comfortable with, and that removes a lot of the stress of vacation planning.

I think you're good where you are. CBR is VERY different from POFQ, so I'm not sure that you would love it. When you feel bored, remind yourself that you'll be at the POLY and on the cruise next year!!!:goodvibes

Could you stay at PORFQ this time but go over and check out CBR? You go eat at the food court, maybe rent a boat or at least walk around the lake. I would think that if you go and are miserable they could switch you to PORFQ if there were rooms.

You said that you're going for your "annual trip," so I guess you're one of us lucky ones who get to visit quite a bit.

I say, try something different. Even if you think the new resort isn't as great as POFQ, it's unlikely to totally ruin your vacation. I used to LOVE Caribbean Beach Resort, but I branched out and found that I like Port Orleans Riverside just as much (if not better). I was also lucky enough to be able to start going to the Deluxe resorts, and loved them even more.

So try something else. At the very least, take some time and go take a look at them while you're there. Maybe you'll see Coronado and decide "this is better than home!" and want to try that out on the next trip.

I have never stayed at one place more than twice, there are just too many places to stay at now in WDW and I would love to stay at them all eventually, only thing Disney keeps building new ones before I can get to the old ones .....split stays is not something we ever considered seems like to much trouble.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter