Am I crazy to to think about going back to school to become a nurse?

Jenny-momof3

DIS Veteran
I'm very interested in becoming a nurse. I really have no need for a career other than I am feeling the need to find some self fulfillment in my life. I'm very fortunate in that my dh provides a good income for our family of 5 and I'm able to stay home. But this is something I've though of for quite some time and now that my youngest will be in school in 2 years I think it may be time to take that leap.

I'm 33 and haven't been in school for 15 years! :scared1: I know I would have to start at the very beginning. Just how hard are the nursing classes? Would I be able to take the classes and still be there for my kids? Or would this completely consume me until I was done with the program?

We have a fabulous nursing school in my city and I could earn my assoc. there.

Advice?

My DD's future MIL just went back to school for a nursing degree and loves it. I know a couple of people who did it when their kids went back to school and said it's the best decision they ever made. If it's what you want go for it and good luck.

I think it's a great idea - and I know two different women who started nursing school in their 40's..:thumbsup2

If it's something you really want - and you really enjoy and understand the field of medicine - I think you would do just fine..:goodvibes

I ask my kids this: If you DONT do this thing (whatever it may be) will you get home and regret not doing it?

Dont get home and regret not doing something.

I'm 36 and in grad school working on my masters in school counseling. It is something I've always wanted to do-I only regret waiting this long. I teach high school math (Algebra I, Trans to Algebra, and AP Calculus), have 2 kids (11 and 9) and I'm pregnant with our 3rd! I'm tired (just finished 3 assignments today) but it is so worth it! If you can go to school full time without having to work I think it will be very doable! Good luck!

im almost 30 and are trying to get into nursing school. I have two kids and have been taking classes so I wont be gone all the time when I finally get in. Basically when I get accepted I will only need to take the nursing 101,102, 201 and 202 to have my degree, I already have the other classes and have been taking them one or two at a time and online as much as I can.

No, you're not crazy. At least look into it. You don't want to look back on your life wishing you had done it. Taking care of your family is :thumbsup2 , but your needs and desires for your life are important, too. I say go for it.

(PS - are you a pea? I swear I saw this thread title earlier over there. Off to check. . .)

Go for it! It is a fulfilling job and there will always be the need for nurses. My oldest DD is an RN and she loves it. Some of the pharmacology and math course can be challenging, but if you want it bad enough, you'll meet that challenge. You can also work per diem to accommodate your large families' need. You won't know till you try! Good luck.

Yea... I posted on the pea board too. Just trying to get as much insight as I can. ;)

I didn't realize I could take some of the courses that are in the actual program ahead of time. That may help too.

I do think it's something I'll regret... just not sure I'm willing to sacrifice so much time away from my kids when it's not something I truly need to do financially. It's something I really just want to do for myself.

Your never crazy to further your education....mostly when it is something you want to do. I have been a Nurse for 28 years...practiced for 22 years and am a SAHM but I keep my licence active just in case.

Nursing school is a lot of work but it is well worth it. We need more nurses and you can get a job anywhere in any state...Stick with it and the money is great. I was a Labor and delivery Nurse...is there a certain career path you want to take in nursing?

As long as your DH is backing you and will help with the kids and the house than you will be fine. If I had to do it all again I would not hesitate for a second. I hope you give it a go:thumbsup2

Great luck to you and have a great blessed New Year with your new found fulfillment.

My dh is behind it 100% because he sees that I sense this void in my life. And he knows how much I enjoy taking care of others. I think I would enjoy anything from newborns to geriatrics. I'm a former preschool teacher ( for 9 years) and just love little ones. But I also helped take care of my grandmother until she passed at the age of 102. Those are times I will always cherish.

I know my dh will be on board helping with the kids... but my house... oh my poor beautiful house. :lmao:

And luckily I won't have to work while in the program so that will help some.

DH went back to nursing school. He just finished a year ago this past December. While in school we had 2 more kids. So life was just a little crazy. He did a program that was online/onsite. He went one full day a week (12 hour day). Most of the assignments were online. He did it for the career advancement. Now he is working towards getting his masters to be a nurse practioner. Then he can make the big bucks! The only downside right now is that he works 12 hour shifts. Right now he does 11am to 11pm. It helps to have hime home in the morning but it suxs that he's not home at dinner time and bedtime most nights. But in the long run it is worth it for our family because he can make a lot more money in nursing than he could in his old job.

The classes are hard, but they aren't that hard. The hard thing is that it is so time-consuming. You have class, you have lab, you have lab tests, you have clinicals. And you have papers to write, care plans to do, stupid homework and lab prep. Not to mention hundreds of pages of new material - up to 250 a week - that you have to study. It all takes a lot of time. ::yes::

Get a prn job as an aide. It will help tremedously in school and will also let you be sure that nursing is where you want to be.

It is a very rewarding job if you can be happy knowing you helped. It isn't the hippy-dippy, Pollyanna job that lots of people think it will be going in. PLENTY of the patients are flippin sick. They're in pain. They're dying. They're unconscious. Their families are fighting and confused. Lots of new nurses start out thinking they'll help people and make them happy...only the people aren't happy. They're still miserable. And all you can do is try to make them less miserable (which, IMO, is very worthwhile work.)

It is hard work physically (my back is starting to pay me back for all those years that I ignored it) and mentally. I remember talking to people - friends and relatives - in nursing school and when I started working and hearing people say, "I could never do that. I'd just break down in tears," or "Stop! It's too horrible. I can't hear it any more!" We lost a few students who couldn't take it, too. Not everyone can stick their hands into infection and feel a squishy dead baby and listen to people cry and be spit on by drug addicts and say, "Yup. This is what I want to do for the rest of my life!" Those were the highlights of my nursing student career.

And if your teacher tells you it is "unprofessional" to cry over a squishy dead baby, tell her to go to hell for me. Sometimes you cry. Sometimes you cry when you didn't even feel particularly close to a patient. Sometimes someone you really, really liked dies and you don't shed a tear. It's all "professional." You just never know how things are gonna hit you. But you're a person and sometimes people cry.

I've been helping a friend who teaches and has just begun an NCLEX prep class. So, I'm kinda hip on students and NCLEXing. :) Get yourself a book on pharmacology. You'll be way ahead of the game. And pay attention (learn ALL YOU CAN) in Anatomy & Physiology.

The best care plan books are the Delmar ones. They aren't the cheapest, but they are the best.

If you ever need help, let me know.

But do it. If you want to spend lots of hours helping people, easing misery and helping to end suffering, nursing is the place to be. There isn't a job I'd be prouder to do. If you make it your life's work, you'll be glad you did.

I had a teacher once tell me it was unprofessional to cry (I had just seen my first dead child) and I looked right at her and told her it was inhuman not to!! Go me!!:thumbsup2 :laughing: :worship: She didn't like me too much after that for a while but she figured out after long that I was very good at nursing and was not going to crumble into a million pieces just because I showed some sympathy and sadness. I have always been proud of myself for that moment, even though at the time my heart was beating out of my chest and I was afraid I'd get kicked out of the program!:scared1:

I say go back to school. The worst that could happen is you'll save some lives, make some folks happier in their final hours, and figure out that helping each other is the best thing we can do on this planet, even if the hours are long and the work is sometimes very difficult. And fortunately the pay is going nowhere but up due to all the opportunities out there. It's a GREAT time to be a nurse!:upsidedow

Do it - it's never too late and the country for sure needs nurses!

I'm 26 and just went back to school this past June - it's a great feeling! Until you have to shell out $$$ for books :)

I go to school at night while my DS5 stays with my mom. I'm out of work so I hang out with my son before and after school for both him & I!

Check out the junior colleges and go from there!!

I was 38 and a newly divorced SAHM when I went back to school for nursing. I hadn't worked since my oldest was born 8 years before.
I went to college in 1974 and was able to transfer most of my credits in 1989 when I started back to nursing school. I did have to take science courses like Anatomy, and a Chemistry course because I majored in Elementary Education way back when.
Talk to your local nursing school and see what courses they can transfer, probably more of the basic courses like English, History, etc... they may make you do all your science courses again because things have changed.
I do think it was the best thing I could have done, there was a great need for nurses and I was able to find a job that I loved, I didn't have to just take a job because I needed a job. I worked in Nurosurgery, Psychiatry, and Orthopedic nursing before finding a fantastic job in college nursing that I stayed at for 14 years before becoming disabled.
Nursing is and always will be a needed profession.

Nursing school is tough, but doable. I finished my degree with a newborn and a lot of my friends had 2-3 kids at home while going through it. You definitely need to have a good support system at home and time to study. That's the catch!! Lots of studying.

I love being a nurse. It's a great job where I get to meet wonderful people (and some not so wonderful) and be an important part of their lives when they most need me. I love the fact that "skills" aren't the only aspect of my job. There is a lot of apathy, caring and nurturing involved. I work with new moms and new babies on a postpartum unit. My dream job.

I also wanted to mention we did a median age statistic when I was in school and the average age in our group was 34. I was 26 at the time...so we had a wide variety of people of all age groups.

I don't know if this helps or not, but I say give it a shot. I don't personally agree with working while going to school if you don't have to. School is taxing enough and then you still come home and have to be mommy until bedtime. I received PLENTY of clinical experience through my college. Plus the CNA part is great your first few semesters, but it doesn't really carry you through. That's just my opinion though.

Best of luck to you in whatever you decide!

DH went back to nursing school. He just finished a year ago this past December. While in school we had 2 more kids. So life was just a little crazy. He did a program that was online/onsite. He went one full day a week (12 hour day). Most of the assignments were online. He did it for the career advancement. Now he is working towards getting his masters to be a nurse practioner. Then he can make the big bucks! The only downside right now is that he works 12 hour shifts. Right now he does 11am to 11pm. It helps to have hime home in the morning but it suxs that he's not home at dinner time and bedtime most nights. But in the long run it is worth it for our family because he can make a lot more money in nursing than he could in his old job.
That is great your dh is going for his MSN........but tell him not to expect the big bucks!! NP's really don't make all that much more than hospital RN's, in fact, I do per diem occasionally as NP and as RN.........the pay I receive when I do RN work is HIGHER than the NP pay. Don't get me wrong, I love the NP role, it is a fantastic job with lots of opportunities. and I am glad I did the MSN program, but it really doesn't have the crazy high pay people think it does.
Nursing school is tough, but doable. I finished my degree with a newborn and a lot of my friends had 2-3 kids at home while going through it. You definitely need to have a good support system at home and time to study. That's the catch!! Lots of studying.

I love being a nurse. It's a great job where I get to meet wonderful people (and some not so wonderful) and be an important part of their lives when they most need me. I love the fact that "skills" aren't the only aspect of my job. There is a lot of apathy, caring and nurturing involved. I work with new moms and new babies on a postpartum unit. My dream job.

I also wanted to mention we did a median age statistic when I was in school and the average age in our group was 34. I was 26 at the time...so we had a wide variety of people of all age groups.

I don't know if this helps or not, but I say give it a shot. I don't personally agree with working while going to school if you don't have to. School is taxing enough and then you still come home and have to be mommy until bedtime. I received PLENTY of clinical experience through my college. Plus the CNA part is great your first few semesters, but it doesn't really carry you through. That's just my opinion though.

Best of luck to you in whatever you decide!

I had a job while in nursing school, it was a per diem student nursing assistant job, just like a CNA, but they would allow us to do other things under the guidance of the RN..........it was in a large teaching city hospital.
so I got tons of experience with skills while i had that job during school.
I only worked every other weekend, and always with the same RN"s so they got comfortable, and even allowed me to do things like give injections, etc, things you need practice on but don't always get to do a lot during school clinical with that one patient.
If you can get a job like that it is worth it.

anyway to answer your question I say go for it if its what you want to do. You won't regret it.

Never to old to learn a new skill. A dear friend of mine completed his PHD last year and he is in his 60's.

I think 'mature age' students usually do well with study as they tend to be super organised and motivated. When I was teaching adults they were often at the top of the class despite running a household full of children.

Both hubby and I did our masters (part-time) when our son was little and despite some crazy times it is somthing we are glad we did.

Good luck.

Trish

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter