Am i crazy,pop over akl?

lkrasnavage

Mouseketeer
I have reservations for both and I can't decide. I have stayed at AKL once and neve r at pop. I find myself looking forward to pop more when I am trying to decide.pop would be$1000 cheaper, and the whole vibe of pop seems fun. Idk. It seems everyone would choose AKL. Thought?

I'm going this Sept for a 10 day trip, and considered staying at Pop with an upgrade to the free dining promo for that time period, but I couldn't do it. We stayed at Pop for 2 nights this Feb before transferring to AKV-Kidani and I loved, loved, loved Kidani. I can't say the same for Pop even though we had the best location. Pop was nice and would have saved me a lot of money, but it doesn't compare to how much nicer the grounds and pool, and the balcony on the savannah are. If my husband was going along on this Sept trip, he would have tried to stay at Pop because he's just not picky. Since I've been to WDW several times now and don't need to see and do everything, the resort and its pool have become more important to me.
Good luck with your decision.

I have never stayed at AKL, but my family LOVES Pop...it is our favorite, especially with the kids!

It really depends on you. We loved AKL too, but if the money made a huge difference, we wouldn't hesitate to stay at Pop.

If it's the only trip to Disney you'll ever make, then I'd totally recommend splurging a bit, but if you know you'll go back in the near future, saving a little money now will only increase the likelihood of getting to go back sooner.

I think it's worth trying everywhere once.

I changed my August POP Dessie to AKL! It has been my goal to stay at each resort but booked a value with free dining. I loved POP but always wanted to. Stay at AKL. So as a surprise, I changed the ressie. The family will know when the GPS takes us there:yay:

I've been to both and POP was very nice. I didn't care for the double beds or the noise from the pool. If I needed to save money, I'd stay there again.

We are staying at AKL for our next trip and we are looking forward to enjoying the resort this time around. Last time we stayed there we went commando touring so we didn't spend much time there.

I've stayed at both Pop and AKL. We loved AKL and Pop is okay for a long weekend. The theme of AKL is amazing.

We have stayed at both. :)

They are completely different vacation experiences..but either can be wonderful.
POP: A bright, fun, loud over the top Disney theming. We have had many happy stays there. The room is small, the pools are lively and fun, the food court is fantastic and the theming is Disney Disney Disney.
AKL: Amazing resort..transports you to a different place. Lobby is breathtaking, interesting gift shop, the animal viewing areas are amazing and the pool is an oasis.:cloud9: The food court is good, but can get a bit old if you plan on eating many meals there. But you have the option of enjoying several different TS meals there.

If you spend little time in the room and prefer a high energy vacation..POP is perfect.
If you want to relax, spend more time enjoying and exploring your resort AKL is the way to go.

POP, just like All Star, is the Motel 6 of Disney Resorts. That being said, you don't go to Disney World for the hotel, you go for the parks. It will save you over $1000 dollars, so decide which is more important for you!

...That being said, you don't go to Disney World for the hotel, you go for the parks....

A lot of folks go more for the resort than the parks. Especially after the 50th trip or so... we go for the beautiful, relaxing atmosphere that deluxe resorts provide. I would choose AKL over POP everytime. If money is an issue, do a split stay and choose both.

A lot of folks go more for the resort than the parks. Especially after the 50th trip or so... we go for the beautiful, relaxing atmosphere that deluxe resorts provide. I would choose AKL over POP everytime. If money is an issue, do a split stay and choose both.

That's an interesting way of putting it.

Personally I have been to WDW tons of times, and I still go for the parks everytime. Sure I have been on every attraction and seen every show, but there is still something magical about being there. I do enjoy the relaxation of the resorts, but I feel like I'm not gonna get that close to the parks and not go. And honestly, there are better and cheaper places to go if you just want to relax at a resort.

That being said I do see your point :)

Stay at POP and save the money. You are not in the room that much and you can spend some time visiting AK. POP has a much better food court. And, POP is in a better location for getting around to other areas.

Honestly it sounds like you are excited to try something new! I'd go with Pop for that reason. You've already done AKL. If you aren't absolutely dying to go back then now is a good time to give Pop a try and see if you like it.
It's not for us for a week long vacation, but I'm glad I tried it.
In the end.. who cares what everyone else would choose? It's your vacation! If it looks fun to you I bet you would have a great time:)

Have you thought about a split stay? POP first, then AKL last. You start out at POP....if you like it, stay. If you are getting a little bit cramped and want a different adventure, then go to AKL. Disney will transport your belongings while you are enjoying a park.

Well, it's a tough choice. I've stayed both, POP without DH and we joke that he would have lasted about 30 minutes at POP ... too crowded, too loud, too many kids, but I was with my mom and DS for a few nights and it was perfect for us and OMG that food court!

Like others have suggested, I'd suggest a split stay between the two ... start at POP then move on to a the relaxing vibe of AKL.

I was going to suggest a split stay -- looks like others beat me to it! :) Otherwise, it sounds like you really want to try Pop -- and since you'll save $1000 and stay where you want to, why not? I love AKL and have a hard time choosing anything other than it, at any price, but you should stay where you feel you will have the best time. :goodvibes

That's an interesting way of putting it.

Personally I have been to WDW tons of times, and I still go for the parks everytime. Sure I have been on every attraction and seen every show, but there is still something magical about being there. I do enjoy the relaxation of the resorts, but I feel like I'm not gonna get that close to the parks and not go. And honestly, there are better and cheaper places to go if you just want to relax at a resort.

That being said I do see your point :)

I never said we go ONLY for the resorts. We go to the parks every time, but the resort choice is a major factor.

POP, just like All Star, is the Motel 6 of Disney Resorts. !

ITA! We used to stay at POP and it was our favorite of the values; however, it was always noisy at all times of the night no matter what building you were assigned. For us it would be AKL all the way. We love that place and although there is an energetic hustle and bustle to the lobby, we found the rooms really quiet and serene. Just what's needed after a long day at the parks.

Not crazy at all. Resort choices/needs/preferances are a million different things to a million different people!

Go with what you want and don't feel crazy regardless of your decision.

For the record, we spend a lot of time at our resort regardless of where we stay. While the values have a lot of energy and don't have as many amenities as a deluxe or mod, for us its simply not true that they are only meant for sleeping and showering and that you can't enjoy relaxing days at the resort when you stay value. I have logged many days and nights at values, stayed at all of them (Pop and Music several times each) and I can say from my experience, they still offer quite a bit and besides saving money, can also serve up plenty of rest and relaxation if you so choose.

Good luck, I don't think you can make a bad choice!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter