AM I crazy? I didn't make any ressies at restaurants..

immagicfan

lovetocruise in NJ
Hi,

We are going to Disney March 3-9...(Actually running the Disney half marathon) We kind of made it into a family trip last minute so I didn't make any reservations for meals. On one hand it is so nice to NOT have any schedule to follow BUT do you think I will get to eat at any of the good restaurants? I know my dd wants to eat in Mexico at Epcot.

It is going to be my sons 7th birthday on March 6th...Any suggesations on where to go that might be a little special that does not require a reservation? I tried to get a character breakfast but ther were no openings:( My son is a star wars freak, he also loves Indian Jones...

We are staying at the PO Riverside, I guess we might have to eat there all the time..LOL Thanks for all your help! I am getting so excited......

Heather from NJ

We found that even during Free Dining last September, Kona Cafe in the Polynesian and Biergarten in Epcot were taking walkups and same-day reservations. We liked the food in both places, and if you've never been to the Poly it's worth a trip just to see the resort. You can take a boat or the monorail from the MK to get there, which is part of the fun.
Biergarten was also fun with the oompah band playing. It was loud but we enjoyed it!

As proof that anything is possible: July 5, 2009, at opening, we heard that there were open seatings for CRT. Really.

But if I were you, I wouldn't except too much to be available. I'd make reservations now if you can online.

On our recent trip, Grand Floridian Cafe had availability. That was the only one I can think of off the top of my head...

I was there during Free Dining in September, and on two different days, every restaurant in Epcot except Akershus and Le Cellier had lunch availability, and some also had dinner. I also saw walk-ups accepted at Kona, Sci-Fi (lunch), Cape May (for breakfast), Boma (for breakfast), Jiko, and Kouzzina (and turned away at Narcoossee's, Akershus, and Mama Melrose).

But if there's anywhere you really want to eat, make reservations now.

Don't forget that you can call Disney Dining while you are there. We did that on our last minute trip last May. We called every morning to see what availability there was.

You didn't say whether you were on the dining plan or not?? That would make a difference in how "crazy" you were!!

I would try Cape May Cafe for a character breakfast. That seems to be the least popular (although we love it there). If all else fails (and you are not on the dining plan), I think they have a character meal of sorts at the Dolphin.

I just read a blog here on the DIS about the Chinese restaurant at EPCOT being relatively slow and a good alternative if you can't get a reservation elsewhere.

We went in the height of summer season (busy!) and Tokyo dining was relatively empty. Try there.

Also, the resort restaurants will have better availability, most likely, than those in the parks. As others have said, Grand Floridian Cafe might have availability. Also try the Wave at the Contemporary. Maya Grill at Coronado. And the restaurant at Port Orleans (can't think of the name right now).

You might be eating at counter service for most of the time. Check out the menus on Allears so you can pick places where you won't be eating burgers every day. I recommend Cosmic Rays in MK for chicken/ribs. Pizza Planet in DHS (the only counter service we will eat at in DHS). Yak & Yeti counter service in AK (you might want to try the table service too. It wasn't busy in there when we went). And in EPCOT Sunshine seasons has a great variety. But we love to eat at the different countries for counter service.

The Boardwalk restaurants might be good too. They didn't seem busy. We went to ESPN and got right in. But the Brew Pub place was slow too.

If you aren't on the dining plan, you can eat at the restaurants at the Swan Dolphin (Il Mulino, etc.).

Maggie

No you are not crazy. Are you going to have a car? There are many fine eating establishments in Orlando.

On our last trip (last Jan.) we too made no ressies. Epcot has a customer service area (to the left) where they will post which restaurants have availability for that day.

Askershus and Le Celier were the only two that were imposible to get in to. We love Coral Reef and that is often a walk up. Biergarten and Kona Cafe as a pp mentioned, are usually available as walk ups. I would think you might have a good chance at the sit downs at the resorts, as long as they aren't the super popular ones.

Have a great trip!

Had no wait at lunch for Brown Derby this past Sunday.
Got a res Sat for Wave 1 1/2 hours ahead of time.

Good Tips everyone! We do not have the food plan and I am going to write all this info down:) I will try to call tonight and get a couple of dinners:)

Please update us when you get back and let us know how it worked out for you. I hate making ADRs but then I don't want to wander around looking for food or eating counter service every meal either. I am SO wishy-washy.

I just made reservations for the end of March. If you go early for dinner 4:15-4:30 you might be able to find openings.

We are doing my dd's 7th Birthday at Crystal Palace, I was able to chose a special celebration so they will know it is her birthday!

Good luck :)

When we added a bonus day to our last vacation in July, we called dining throughout the day trying to get a lunch at Sci-Fi. They kept saying no, but they offered us many other choices, so you'll probably be able to get SOMETHING calling last minute. In the end, we walked into Sci-Fi to try just once more and we were seated within ten minutes - but not at a car. They keep little cafe tables at the back for walk-ins. Still got the atmosphere, though, and it was fun and tasty. So it never hurts to try. Just don't expect to be seated at the most popular places.

I just looked up your dates for a party of 4 at San Angel and was able to see a 2:30 lunch at San Angel on the 3rd. If that is cutting it close try doing it day by day. If DD wants to eat at San Angel I am sure you can get an ADR for that. Now for DS birthday, maybe WCC, or 50s PTC?

My wife and I are polar opposites on the issue of having a vacation itinerary and making ADRs. I'll probably get flamed for this, but I say make a couple ADRs you might want and don't feel horrible if you can't make it. You're going in March, so all of us hyper-planners have had our shot at ADRs. You're not shutting anyone out by booking a couple, and if you don't use them someone is always walking up hoping to get lucky. The family who shows up hoping for a meal with no ADR only to be seated because you didn't show just got a little Disney magic, IMHO.:wizard: I doubt you'd be the first dis'er who didn't make it to an ADR.

BTW. there are some really good counter service restaurants at WDW. You can google them to get an idea in case you don't get into the table service restaurants you want. Or, I just noticed a great thread here on the Best Counter Service Restaurants. Have fun!

I am a planner, my sister is not. I made my flight bookings a year in advance, she waited till last minute and got cheaper flights. I made my ADR's on the nose of the 90 day mark (that is what it was for last year) and while I got all I wanted, so did she by making no ADR's. Don't fret. All will work and you will not go hungry. As far as a meal for DS, we liked Chef Mickey's - not sure of what others though - I am sure other people can help you with that part of your question. Good luck! And run like the wind..... :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter