Am I CRAZY for skipping Animal Kingdom?

annnewjerz

If I had a world of my own, everything would be no
How many people would think it's CRAZY to skip AK during our trip to WDW? Last trip was the first time I visited AK (just DH and me) and I hate to say it...I wasn't overly impressed and it just didn't feel like Disney.

I love animals and therefore LOVED the Safari ride and also liked Expedition Everest (which DH won't go on again, he hates heights) and It's Tough to be a Bug...but considering we are not doing hoppers this year, it just seems like a waste of a day's ticket to go for only a few rides.

My alternate plan is to tour various resorts and look at all of their Christmas decorations in the morning (will be going during December), have the afternoon for a swim and then get dinner in DTD, do some shopping and see La Nouba which I hear is amazing.

I didn't mind skipping AK in years past because I had never been, but will I feel differently now that I have been to AK if I skip it this trip??? :confused:

Different strokes for different folks.

I'm leaving Sunday for a ten day trip and will spend two mornings and two afternoons at AK.

I absolutely adore it.

Different stroke for different folks is right. Personally, I couldn't miss AK, but everyone is different. Since you aren't park hopping, then it might not make sense for you to go. I love Festival of the Lion King too much to not go :)

If it was me...

I skip MK and go to AK.

I don't think I am crazy so... do what you want.

AK is actually Disney at its best! It is all about the detail, if you go and want to ride rides and see shows then forsure skip it. If you want to go and be told a full story about everything around you and be part of it....then it is a MUST SEE. I love AK but can do it in 3/4 of a day and see everything and enjoy it.

Do you not like to watch shows?

They have the Flights of Wonder show which is my favorite show there. Of course, if you have a fear of birds you'd want to avoid that one.

The Finding Nemo Musical is interesting, but I like the Festival of the Lion King more. It's like a circus and a parade and a musical showcase.

Apart from It's Tough to be a Bug, Expedition Everest: Escape from the Forbidden Mountain, Kilimanjaro Safari, and the animal trails, there's also Dinosaur and Kali River Rapids (if you don't mind the possibility of getting soaked down to your underwear).

Some people like the atmosphere and the fact that DAK is probably the best themed park (at least, I think so), but if the atmosphere and the other entertainment options (I like watching the performers in Africa, too) aren't something that interest you enough - then by all means you should find something else that does. You should enjoy your vacation. I don't think skipping out on it should affect you that much if you know that there'd be little to do there for you and you could be enjoying yourself better someplace else. :goodvibes

IMHO it would be CRAZY to miss AK. But I love animals and everything about the park. My DH stayed in the room with our DS and packed so I could get in one more look at the animals before catching our plane. I can't wait for our next trip. My friends went and they thought about not going and I convinced them to go and they loved it and thanked me for "making" them go.

Yes.

;) (Joke!)

Personally, I love AK. But there are lots of reasons for that...I am a wildlife fanatic, so that's the main one.

But I also love the immersive attention to detail there - moreso to me than any other Disney park - in attempts to make it feel like a travel around the world.

Also, I'm not fanatical about rides - I go on them if the line isn't too long, but they are not the reason I go to Disney parks. I love the atmosphere, the design, the cast members, the interactivity, the educational displays, and the people-watching as much as or more than the rides themselves.

And finally, being an annual passholder means I can go throughout any of the parks that I want all throughout each day...so I don't have to think about using a single day pass to choose which park I want to see. I'll usually head off to another park after I've been to AK, since it closes early. Having that flexibility means I don't really have to skip any park, even on short trips.

Of all the parks, I skip Hollywood Studios the most. Again - rides to me are not a big draw, and I love theming and attention to detail of which Hollywood Studios holds the least appeal for me. Still, I usually hit the park at least once every other trip or so, to stroll through and maybe go on one or two rides...for a few hours, then boat over to Epcot.

But, as all the others said...to each their own! As long as you enjoy your time at Disney World, it doesn't really matter which parks are your favorites and which are not! :)

Do you not like to watch shows?

They have the Flights of Wonder show which is my favorite show there. Of course, if you have a fear of birds you'd want to avoid that one.

The Finding Nemo Musical is interesting, but I like the Festival of the Lion King more. It's like a circus and a parade and a musical showcase.

Apart from It's Tough to be a Bug, Expedition Everest: Escape from the Forbidden Mountain, Kilimanjaro Safari, and the animal trails, there's also Dinosaur and Kali River Rapids (if you don't mind the possibility of getting soaked down to your underwear).

Some people like the atmosphere and the fact that DAK is probably the best themed park (at least, I think so), but if the atmosphere and the other entertainment options (I like watching the performers in Africa, too) aren't something that interest you enough - then by all means you should find something else that does. You should enjoy your vacation. I don't think skipping out on it should affect you that much if you know that there'd be little to do there for you and you could be enjoying yourself better someplace else. :goodvibes

Very nice answer. I do agree that AK was defifinetly a fun park in the theming and the details, just seeing the Tree of Life alone was a really neat experience. Seeing all of the decor matched up the lands we were in was also nice to just walk around and look at.

I definitely am not a "show" person per se, I really like Fantasmic! and also like to see Wishes and Illuminations. While in Epcot, I like to watch the drummers in Japan and the mariachi band in Mexico and in DHS I like Indiana Jones...but if I had my choice, I would much prefer rides and attractions over shows.

My one concern was that I am trying to get at all of the parks early, take a break mid-day and return that night (which wouldn't really be possible with AK since it closes at 5:00).

Does anyone have any experience with arriving at AK during mid-day and staying until close?? We are going in early December so I'm not worried about crowds too much, but considering last trip to AK we were first in line at the major attractions like Kiminanjaro Safaris, EE and ITTBAB, I don't want to show up in the afternoon and have to spend my 5 hours in the park waiting in line for 3 rides.

The first time I went to animal kingdom, I only spent a short time there and I wasn't impressed. I thought it was boring. But when I went back I realized how great it was. There is so much to see with all the animals and it's like a new experience each time.

Not crazy at all. I've never been to AK, as we skip the park every time we visit, and just hit MK, Epcot, and DHS. I'm more for the rides rather than the shows and animal exhibits. I'll give AK a few more years to grow before making my first visit to the park.
From some of the reviews I've read about the park...not regretting my decision to wait it out one bit. The same can be said for DCA.

Maybe as they add more rides and attractions, my opinion will change, but as it is, I can never find enough to keep me there more than a few hours. We have a great zoo in our community so seeing the animals isn't a draw. The safari is fun and I did enjoy Lion King but I wouldn't give up a full day in
EPCOT or MK for that. If you are doing park hoppers, give it a morning. Otherwise, I can understand why you might make AK an every-other-trip adventure.

I completely agree with the OP. It's so un-Disney to me - the few times I've been I couldn't wait to leave. Everest is awesome, but other than that there's not much to draw me there. I've skipped AK the last 3 or 4 trips. And I would continue to skip it except that my sister wants to go. We're going in October to ride everest, but I've got MNSSHP tickets for the evening so I don't have to worry about hoppers or wasting half the day.

I say do what makes you happy! I couldn't miss AK. I would forgo DHS before AK, I am doing DHS this year though to do TSM and see the block party bash. I also love the muppets 3-d there. Have fun!

I don't think you're crazy!! We considered skipping AK too. We didn't really enjoy it. I don't know why we didn't love it we love animals. It felt different to me - not very Disney. I guess I was expecting something different.

My DH and kids want to go and give it a second chance. In our nine days we will only spend one there. I am pretty excited about seeing the new Nemo show though.

I love Animal Kingdom....we only had one day there last trip, but were there from open until close (9 AM to 5 PM) and the ONLY ride we went on was the Safari. (I did EE with a FP, too.) I actually think it is the MOST Disney of the parks, excluding MK of course, the theming is just world class.

I was talking to one of the Animal Keepers at Rafiki's planet watch and telling them we didn't feel like we had enough time in a day and she mentioned that she was so glad to hear that because so many people don't think there is much to do there. I think the problem is most people think Disney = Rides, and if you are going for rides, AK is sure to disappoint. Kali and Dinosaur are both pretty lame, and the other Dinoland rides are nothing special.

Of course we had a little one (DD5) who loves to really look at the animals and explore, she's the one who has slowly taught me to slow down and enjoy AK. Even now I still try to patient. I want to barrel into the park to get to the head of the line for the safari, and she wants to stop and visit with all the CM holding the boxes with spiders and snakes and such. But doing this gave me a great moment from this last trip. DD was looking at a box with some Katydids (sp?), which looked very much like the leaves in the box, the zookeeper asked the group there what they call it when an animal looks like something else...and my little DD piped up with "Camouflage!"...I was blown away she even knew that word.

A couple of pieces of advice: If you are skipping the shows (Festival of Lion King and Finding Nemo in particular) you are missing the best shows on property. Also, instead of charging around the nature trails, stop and talk to the CMs about the animals. Eat lunch at Flame Tree BBQ, best counter service at Disney World. (We also loved Tusker House had a great internationally flavored buffet, it was our favorite meal of the last trip.) Take time to watch the ethnic performers. Look at the foliage throughout the park, I love looking at the bamboo forest through Maharajah Jungle Trek. Even better, look at the artwork on the Tiger enclosure on MJT, just beautiful.

Sorry, I probably should just be happy that more people don't go there because it always feels so crowded anyways, but I just don't want it to turn into another "ride-fest" like Epcot is becoming.

SkierPete

The first time I went to animal kingdom, I only spent a short time there and I wasn't impressed. I thought it was boring. But when I went back I realized how great it was. There is so much to see with all the animals and it's like a new experience each time.

Thank you, I'm glad someone was in my boat. We arrived at AK our first (and only) time and I had forgotten my camera. Great. Then we were with my DB and SIL and they were not morning people, great number 2. I think I just got rubbed the wrong way the first time we were there. We only spent about 3-4 hours in the park and since I hadn't ever been, most of it was spent walking around aimlessly just seeing what there was to do.

We did end up seeing Kali River Rapids, ITTBAB, EE and Kilimanjaro Safaris, but didn't even realize there was a whole Dinoland until we were leaving.

I'm looking at my itinerary right now (I'm not even going until December 09!) and it looks like I can fit in an afternoon and if they have evening EMH that day (they have it on the same Wedensday we will be there this year)...maybe I'll give it another shot. I just love MK and Epcot so much, and being that we have never gone around Christmas before, I just thought there would be more than enough to fill our time with things I know I will love, rather than being disappointed again with how we spent our time.

I think that only you can answer this question. Only you will know if you will truly miss not going there if you skip it. Definitely different strokes for different folks.

I, personally, cannot miss going there. I love the theming and I love so much about it. It's very Disney to me, but in a completely different way than the other parks. I just love being in AK. :wizard:

I completely agree with the OP. It's so un-Disney to me - the few times I've been I couldn't wait to leave. Everest is awesome, but other than that there's not much to draw me there. I've skipped AK the last 3 or 4 trips. And I would continue to skip it except that my sister wants to go. We're going in October to ride everest, but I've got MNSSHP tickets for the evening so I don't have to worry about hoppers or wasting half the day.

I am curious about this post, the OP and one or two others. What is "un-Disney?" IMHO AK is VERY "Disney." AK is all about theming just like the other parks. AK has plenty of Disney characthers, it has grand shows based on Disney's modern classics. One of the knocks from a zooalogical standpoint is just how "Disney" AK is in the way they manage the wildlife (ie. by refrigerating fake rocks so that the lions sit in the same place, and are awake and alert). Each of the four parks is different and special in its own way. I see plenty of reasons that may you feel your time is better spent elsewhere at Disney but I don't really understand "un-Disney."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter