• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Am I crazy?/Confessions of a Dis-aholic

Loritlc3

Mouseketeer
I am a divorced mother of 2. Last July we got to take our 'once in a lifetime trip to Disney'. I never thought it would happen. I got on these boards and researched and we had a wonderful time at Disney. My brother his wife and my 18 year old niece drove down so we went with them.

Well, I really, really, really want to take the kids again. I feel that I need to go with at least one other adult.

So, I started talking to a friend through Facebook that I haven't spoken to or seen in 20 years. It turns out that she is a single mom of 3 and when I started talking about Disney she said she would like to go also.

She says that she could save up money from this years and next years taxes to go but won't be ready until April, 2011. I would love to go in October or November but I don't want to wait until 2011. One reason is that My son would be 10. So we have been talking about going in May, 2011.

So I have been on here every day since. getting my planning fix but I am really nervous because she will say that she really wants to go and we talk about how we are going to get there, etc (plane or train) but then will mention concern over her job, restructuring in her job and says that if that happens then she won't be able to go. My concern is then I will be stuck on my own. What should I do?

I bet there are a lot of other mothers in our situation but how would you find them without attracting the wrong attention. With the 3 of us I really need another adult. One reason is the kids are so different in their ride preferences.

Hi,

I'm not a single parent, but... do you have a Parents Without Partners, or some other support group for single parents near you? Perhaps you could strike up a friendship with someone in a similar situation, looking to do Disney.

What about taking your niece, another family member or close friend?

From what you've said, I don't think you should count on your friend going, sounds like she has one foot out the door before even committing.

On the other hand, if you really want to go... :goodvibes GO :goodvibes ... even if you go alone with just the kids. There are many attractions you will be able to enjoy together. I've gone with just the kids. (DH flew down a few days later.) We would rather go and miss out on a few attractions, than not go at all/

Good luck... hope you get to go.

Sounds like you shouldnt rely on your friend going. I think that unless your kids are very small or have special needs, you could manage taking them on your own.
Even if one of your children want to ride and the other doesnt you could plan ahead what everyone want to ride and what they dont. Then let each child pick one ride that the other doesnt want to ride and the whole family rides it. No, they wont ride everything they want but they will be able to ride the things they want most while also practicing compromise.

Also, depending on the age of your kids, there is always the chicken exit at the big rides. Wait in line for the ride as a family, then get your child on the ride and use the chicken exit and meet them at the end of the ride.

You will be fine by yourself. You do everything every day with just you and the kids. Disney is not so different. My suggestion is to stay onsite to make things easier for you. I don't know where you are but if you are flying us ME to get to your resort. then you don't have the stress of driving in a strange environment.

I also think you would be just fine by yourself. A trip to Disney couldn't be any easier if you fly and stay on-site so you can use the Magical Express. The vast majority of rides/attractions are doable for everyone, there are really only a few that certain people can't go on (roller coasters, etc). If you really don't want to go w/o help, would there be a teenager who could go along? Like a neice, nephew, cousin or neighbor? The only problem with that, though, is that you may need to pay most of their expenses. We went once when DH had a conference there, and I took my 3 little ones (around 1, 4 and 6) to the MK all by myself. It was no problem at all. Disney makes the transportation so easy, and CMs are helpful if needed.

You will be fine!!! We have been to Disney MANY MANY times (I work for an airline--so cheap/free airfare) & it has always been just me & the boys..

I love it & so do they..We have never had any problems & we are going back the end of August (hoping for free dining).

Don't count on other people to come if you aren't totally sure- esp if it means putting it off longer!

I'm a single mom of 2 kiddos (DD5 and DS9) and like other PP said- you are used to them alone every day- Disney really is no different. You know your kids limits, what they can hande, what they like, etc.

I actually find it to be more stressful inviting others to come (in the past I've had my sis come, my best friend, and also another single parent) and alone is far easier. Planning is simpler, you can make it really about you and the kids- no worrying about if the schedule will fit other people's likes/dislikes.

Have fun! I say go alone, and have a great time!

How old are your kids? I just took DS 11 and my niece 13 all the way to DLR (from NC) by myself last month. It was easy, we had no problems, but these are older kids. It might would have been harder if they were much younger.

DS and I might return to WDW in Oct by ourselves. I wouldn't try going with another family, then you have to coordinate everything you do with them.:headache:

Thank you so much for all of your responses.
I think my biggest concern is the ride situation. We were on our own for a couple of days on our last vacation and everything was fine except that my 7 year old really wanted to ride certain rides(Splash Mountain, Thunder mountain, Haunted mansion) and my 5 year old absolutely refused(She cried when we got on Goofy's Barnstormer). She also just wanted to ride It's a small world over and over which of course DS eventually stated that he couldn't stand. He kept saying "she is ruining my vacation"

I say go solo with the kids this trip. See if you can book for free dining. THEN in 2011 go again and see if you can get in on free dining. Have fun. and good luck.

I am a married D-mom, but have taken DD5 twice age nearly 5 and 3.5. Both times perfect. I don't have 2 kids, but I can't imagine any reason not to go. I would go and take 5 kids if it meant to go.

What if 1 night you took DD to sandcastle club, or neverland club, and took ds10 on roller coasters, then he may be okay time without it? A date.

Don't plan on someone else.
good luck.

Something else to keep in mind is that you don't know your friends kids. I have a dear, dear friend and her kid is a right pain the butt. He flat out ignores any request from his mom, is loud, mean and well, a pain in the butt. I'd love to go to WDW with my friend, but I don't think I could handle her kid for that long.

My kids are very well behaved kids (I know we all think that, but I get told that contently, so it must me true, right!?). and they watch my friend's kid and wonder why he behaves the way he does. They can only take him in small doses, too!

I've taken all three of mine to WDW on my own. Its not too hard. Just set the ground rules before you go, make sure everyone understands them and let each kid choose things that they like.

You'll be fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter