Am I being ignorant about cost of framing a print?

Rock'n Robin

Disney Queen
I have found a print I really like at Michael's--it is an Andrew Wyeth called "Master Bedroom" and has a dog sleeping on a bed. Yeah, some might think it's boring, but it speaks to me. The price of the print alone is $22.99. They have a preframed one for $80, but it's a black frame and all of our frames are wood tones in our room. They have an option where you see what a frame looks like, so I picked a wood tone frame and a nice mat, and the SALE price was $170!!!!! That is 50% off supposedly! Is this NORMAL? Should I take it to one of those places where you frame it yourself, or is this really a good deal?
Robin M.

Unless you have a coupon I wouldn't. I don't know the size but check out walmart or another store. They are going to be expensive at Michaels cause that is one of there specialties.

Custom framing is expensive! My sister used to work in a frame shop and I do know that sometimes they do extra stuff to preserve the print that causes the expense. Other than that I can't figure out why. Too bad you don't live near me, I have that print, but got bored of it and took it down.

Look online, I'm sure you can get it cheaper.

Do you know the dimensions of the print? If so, you might check at Cost Plus World Market. They have some nice, middle of the road frames in wood that are $25 and available in most "standard" poster sizes. But yes, having a frame made is expensive. It isn't just the frame either, it is also the mat.

Custom framing is really expensive. I bought some antique botanical prints on Ebay once for about $6.00 each. They ended up costing more than $100.00 after framing!!! Lesson learned - ASK what all those options cost before you place the order!!!!

Yes, custom framing is expensive. But it is worth it. Do you want the print to look like it came from Walmart?

There are some ways to make it less expensive. I've purchased a mat cutter and do my own but that is only good if you have lots of framing to do.

You can shop for each piece of the picture separate. Look out for sales on frames and if you find one you like buy the frame and have mats cut to size. Although it will cost a little bit to have the mats cut it won't be as expensive as the package deal. You might even find a frame with a mat that works if the picture is a standard size.

I prefer the frames at Hobby Lobby over the other stores, I've used them for most of the pictures I've framed. Hobby Lobby also sells the glass, mat board and even the cardboard separate.

Don't assume that a professional will do the job right. I just re-framed a picture that my nephew had. It was a cross stitch pattern and they had used double sided sticky tape to attach the mat to the picture. The cloth was already yellowing where they had the tape. I was very unimpressed with what I'm sure they paid $$$ for.

Custom framing is expensive. Andrew Wyeth paintings are wonderful. In Greeville Museum of Art there is an entire floor devoted to his watercolors, they are beautiful.

Framing is definitely expensive, but it's a beautiful picture and you want to do it justice. I have "Christina's World" that was framed for me as a gift. I ended up taking it down not too long ago because my more "beachy" prints took over and Christina just didn't fit in.

Yes it is very expensive if it is done correctly. We collect Carl Barks' Duck lithos and have paid over $300 to frame just one. We have several in storage because our frame shop we like closed and it is just so expensive. I have seen Michael's employees man-handle people's artwork and would not opt for them to frame anything important for me.

Well thanks for the replies. We do have a hobby lobby locally but it's a bit further away. I just couldn't believe it was $340 and then 1/2 price! But I remember I got my little Wilderness Lodge print framed (the one you get when you buy DVC points) and the "free" print cost $45 to frame, and it's much smaller.
We just redid our room--finally painted it, "mocachino"--and the old pink stamp art with hearts I got at an art fair 15 years ago will not work in any way, shape or form. It's taken me forever to find one I like so I guess I"ll have to wait a little longer and save my pennies for framing!
Robin M.

if you want to put something up in the place while you save up for the framing you can try to find just a plain frame to put it in yourself or put it in a poster frame. i did that in my guest bedroom, it's not ideal though.

I have that same print. I had it custom framed an matted. It was well over $200. Funny thing. I don't even have it hanging up. I changed my decor when I moved and it no longer goes with my furniture.

Custom frames are very expensive.

Did they have any frames that would fit the print? The mat does not have to be even around all sides. I had a few prints framed for DH. They were an odd size so I couldn't find the perfect frame, but I did find a frame that would fit them. I had the mats custom cut. The mat is about two inches on the sides and then about one inch on the top and bottom and it looks very nice. And this was MUCH cheaper to do!

Custom framing is very, very expensive. That sounds about right if it's a large print. Shop around though, you might find a deal online.

Sheri

As others have testified, custom framing can be crazy expensive. I had a print custom framed and it ended up being $190 for a 16x20 with matting. It looks great, but yes I agree... :scared1:

If you are crafty you can take a frame from WALMART, antique store, flea market and either leaf it or do another special technique to make it look expensive.

My husband works with word so I ususally don't buy frames. I just have to find mattes.

Another idea is looking for a home interior type picture and replacing the picture.

oh yea, framing is expensive!! I recently framed a cross stitch birth announcement I did for my daughter and it cost 200.00 that that was with the 50 percent of fthe whole order coupon!

When I buy the print (I forgot to get the Michael's coupon this week and I want the 40% off) I'll measure it, but most of the prints at Michaels' look to be odd sizes--probably so they can frame them! ;)
Robin M.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter