Always wanted a GMT watch,

Art 1

DIS Veteran
Bought this one tonight.
IMG_3375_zps0fb18f15.jpg

Very nice but I prefer an IWC or an Omega.

I'd take that to a reputable jeweler and get it checked. It looks like a fake - the 12 marker is wonky along the right edge and the 9 marker should be as thin as the 6 marker and it looks much thicker.

I'd take that to a reputable jeweler and get it checked. It looks like a fake - the 12 marker is wonky along the right edge and the 9 marker should be as thin as the 6 marker and it looks much thicker.

Well, he never said he'd always wanted a Rolex...just a "GMT watch"! :cool2:

It appears like the 6 and 9 are different sizes but it's just the pic. They are the same size. Not sure why I would take it to a reputable dealer is was purchased new at Rolex Orlando.

It appears like the 6 and 9 are different sizes but it's just the pic. They are the same size. Not sure why I would take it to a reputable dealer is was purchased new at Rolex Orlando.

Sorry, I thought you bought it used. Must be poor photography that's to blame then.

Sorry, I thought you bought it used. Must be poor photography that's to blame then.

I thought it was used too, the picture makes it look pretty scratched up, and the lettering and something about the crown looks off in it. Hopefully it is just the way it photographed.

Edited to add: To clarify, there is nothing wrong with buying used, people just need to be careful when doing so.

Here is another pic, it's hard to photograph watches with out a light box.
IMG_3378_zpsa49787ce.jpg

Well that picture is much better! Glad you like it, wear it in good health.

As for me, I can't stand to wear a watch, probably because my husband loves to constantly look at the time on his watch (force of habit due to his job, but still...).

It looks like there is just one gmt hand? Is there any particular reason you need to keep up with one other time zone (mine from the looks of it!), or do you just like the look?

I don't know what the OPs need for this watch is- perhaps he just finds the design of the watch appealing. I'm sure he must have a use for this particular model, otherwise, what's the point? It would be like owning a dive watch when you don't dive. However I do know that these types of watches have been a long time favourite of aircrew and members of the military who have an operational need to know 2 time zones simultaneously. I believe it is also favoured by people who travel extensively over long distances- it' so easy to see both the local time and the time back home.

DH has had a similar watch (not a Rolex) since his very early flying days. Of course now that he's retired, it sits in a box along with his other watches.

It looks like there is just one gmt hand? Is there any particular reason you need to keep up with one other time zone (mine from the looks of it!), or do you just like the look?

Yes, there is one GMT hand for home time. The hour hand can be moved back and forth as one changes time zones, the minute hand stays and the second hand keeps going. The bezel can spin to to track another time zone. The blue is day time hours, the black is night hours. Rolex came up with the original years ago for Pan Am pilots that were blue and red on the bezel for the Pan Am colors, very collectable. The bezels are now make out of ceramic. Rolex could only make them in black at first, they have just figured out how to make the black and blue be together. Collectors are hoping that at Basel next spring they announce a red and blue bezel like the original. So the make an excellent travel watch for those who like this sort of thing.

You know one never knows in life. I certainly didn't think I liked watches when I opened the thread. When I first looked - I did wonder how many red peppers the watch would buy. :rotfl2: And then I opened my mind and I went looking at Rolex and I found one that I just love. I forgot to go look at the price of my choice. Oh well, I think I'll refrain. :lmao: But it's so clean looking. :thumbsup2

Oh yeah, back to you. :rotfl2:

Good for you if it's what you always wanted. Nice. Enjoy.

Rolex

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter