always stayed deluxe; disappointment with a moderate?

donnamerry

Mouseketeer
Okay, since the first stay we (my son (11), my sister & I) stayed at deluxe (WL,YC,BC, BWV,POLY) thinking never would I probably be back. WRONG! disneyitis struck me and the last 5 visits have been deluxe. Curious though always looking at the Carribean Resort and wonder if I would like a moderate after spoiling myself! Could save some big bucks here but I hate disappointment.
Anybody? Thanks

We've stayed at CSR and DxL as well as the Poly and WL, AKL. Haven't stayed at CBR though.

I really enjoyed staying at the deluxes, but also really enjoyed the moderates so it certainly isn't a given that you'll be dissapointed.

The room sizes/room layout of the moderates (especially CBR) are not much different than WL or AKL. And in fact neither are the sizes of the beds that different - The WL and AKL claim that they have Queen beds, but they are not that much different than the beds at the moderates.

One thing I miss at the moderates is the central htg/AC of the Deluxes - the 'wall units' that the moderates use can be noisy. The CSR resort being newer has much quieter units and it makes a difference for sure.

I think that the CMs at DxL and CSR are just as nice/helpful, etc as other resorts CMs and the food courts at DxL and CSR are at least as good, if not better, than the Poly's Captain Cook's or the WL Roaring Forks IMHO.

The biggest difference will probably end up being the convenience factor. Being able to walk to EPCOT from the hotel (YC/BC), or ride the Monorail to the MK/EPCOT (Poly), etc. compared to the buses.

Hey - no matter where you stay you'll be at DisneyWorld so it'll be fantastic!

Like you, I never stayed in a moderate until last year. POR-Riverside. Beautiful settings, landscaped lawns. I was at the mansions. Parterre Place, very nice. My only complaint was that the bathroom was tiny. If you are used to a deluxe, then you're used to a large bathroom. The sinks, although double sinks, were out in plain sight of the sleeping area which afforded no privacy. Another drawback. Food courts are better I think at the moderates than at the deluxes. I guess it's six of one and half a dozen of the other. All told, I would stay there again. Don't get me wrong --there was nothing wrong with it at all. I was very content there. But if you stay at a moderate after being used to a deluxe, you will feel as if you've been spoiled for anything else.

We have stayed Deluxe/Moderate in the same trip and I don't think you will have a problem at all.
Especially with the CBR. The rooms are brand new and are very nice. The grounds and the ambience really immerse you in the magic.

*the bathrooms in the BC seem about the same as the mods. You can't sit on the toliet and close the door. :eek: ;)

*room service is the biggest difference to me.

*the buses at the BC were no faster/slower than the CBR

Go for it while the CBR is all new and pretty...you won't regret it.

Feel free to ask more questions. We have stayed at the YC, BC, CBR, and POR.:)

We have stayed at both Deluxe and Moderate resorts and I like them both. Of course I'd like to stay at a deluxe resort everytime... but our trip last week was planned at the last minute so we needed to stay at a moderate resort because no discounts were offered. We were pleasantly surprised with CBR and would definitely stay there again. :)

The only big difference is that you have exterior corridors and fewer dining options. Our room was large, clean, and well decorated. I actually felt it was in better shape than our room at GF last Fall. The renovations are very nice.

CBR has great beaches, pools, landscaping, etc. You will love it! :)

I dont think you will be disappointed in the CBR. I have stayed at deluxes (Poly, GF & Contemporary) and was not disappointed at all with CBR plus loved saving the $$. My big reason with the monorail resorts is it is very convenient for my 3 year old. With an 11 year old-you will probably spend more time at parks other than the MK and you dont have to worry about carrying anybody mid-way.

At CBR you could be a distance from the main pool/building but it is a nice walk. I really enjoyed the main pool area, pool bar and while I was there they had reggae band playing so that the adults could sit back while the children danced, swam, etc. I really enjoyed the CBR and when my DS gets a little older, I hope to stay there again!

Chele

The best answer you got was ... maybe. It depends on what you like. The moderates are, in my opinion, more laid back than the deluxes because they are more spread out. They can be like a vacation within a vacation. It all depends on what you are able to accept or not. Like it was said before, the food courts have a much larger selection at the moderates, and a lot of things are the same, especially the CM's. I've been fortunate in my travels, I've never had a bad experience with a CM.

The moderates are different than the deluxes. As long as you know what to expect there, and are comfortable with it, then you will be fine. It's the same no matter what resort category you choose. My son is absolutely convinced that he will not like staying at the Grand Floridian - you will notice it's not on my list of resorts to go to (yet). He prefers the Contemporary to any other resort (even staying in the wings), my daughter prefers the Caribbean Beach, and I prefer Beach Club (notice Beach Club isn't listed yet either - my son prefers Boardwalk).

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your trip.

Also, Bstanly, I visited your 2001 trip - I thought it was great. Thanks for sharing with us.

I've stayed at the deluxes, moderates and all-stars and I can't imagine that you would be disappointed in the moderates. We travel a lot and have stayed in literally some of the nicest resorts in the world (and I don't mean Disney World), mostly due to my husband's job. There are hotels that make a Disney Deluxe resort seem like a campground, believe me. Just so you know that you are getting what you pay for.

Of course a Deluxe resort is nicer, it's a heck of a lot more expensive. For the cost, a moderate is great. The pools are wonderful, the rooms are clean and nicely, if not luxuriously appointed. The size of the bathrooms IMO are all relative. My bathroom at home is 12X16 feet, so I feel cramped in a deluxe bathroom! Also, we stayed at the All-Stars when we did a quick girls (and kids) only trip, when we wanted to save $$$ and all of us were very happy. I traveled with 2 women who had previously only stayed at the GF, and they thought it was great for the price. With the little kids, we loved the food court and the kid-friendly atmosphere, not to mention the cost.

Some people like to go out and splurge every time they go to WDW, but hey, maybe they don't go on other vacations, so that's fine. But if you are looking to save money and not spend it all on a deluxe resort in Disney, I think you'll be satisfied with any of the Disney resorts. Just think, with the money you save, you can go away for a long weekend somewhere.:cool:

I've stayed at CBR and the Grand Floridian and found them both to be wonderful in their own ways.

As long as you know what the amenities are at the moderates, you won't be disappointed or surpised.

Check out both of my web sites, below. On the first one, I have pictures from CBR and GF, etc. On the second one I have pictures from my stay at CBR just 2 weeks ago! :)

we've stayed at all price levels at WDW and never been disappointed (though i probably wouldn't go back to AKL, but i would to all the others, value, moderate or deluxe)....

the CMs are nice in all of them....
and in truth, i think the theming and landscaping of the moderates is even nicer than the deluxes....

I too have stayed at both moderates and deluxes and........... and I guess I'm gonna have to say that I've been severely spoiled by the deluxes! On our last stay, we stayed at CSR and WL- While CSR is a beautiful resort, the service was no where near as good as the WL. I have a friend that stayed deluxe last fall- and she's had a hard time going back to moderate/value. I even warned her.... once you go deluxe you won't want to go back! But would she listen????? NO! So, you might have a hard time going moderate when you're use to deluxe. There is one way to do this, so it won't be so painful....... stay the first half of your stay at the moderate and the secong half of yur stay at the deluxe. That way you can experiment on your own and if you're not happy, you'll already be switching half way through your trip! See- you can have your cake and eat it too!!!!

Hi,

You won't be disappointed. We've stayed at the Grand Floridian and the Poly - plus all the moderates and ASM. In my humble opinion, the increase in price from a moderate to a deluxe doesn't buy a commensurate increase in amenities. However, I think the opposite is true when going from an All-Stars to a Moderate - it's worth every penny then, to upgrade to a moderate.

The moderates are beautiful and the service is great. For part of the time, we'll dine and use the water mice and bikes at the deluxes, in order to enjoy their atmosphere. But, we hang our hats at the moderates and use the extra, daily, $100 or so, for other things. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter