Alternative to CC 5K--Bike it!

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by TinkBell10, Apr 10, 2012.

1. TinkBell10

TinkBell10 DIS Veteran

There are a couple of threads going right now about the Castaway Cay 5k. I wanted to offer an alternative to those who don't run but still want to see all of the island. The bike rentals are great! They're very inexpensive, by Disney standards...$6 for an hour. Although, when I picked mine up, the lovely CM reminded me that "they have no clocks" and don't keep track of when the hour is up!! :rotfl2:

The trail is all level--no hills or anything--so it's an easy ride, even for smaller children. There are water stations all along the way and quite a bit of shade. Plus, there are lots of pretty places to take some great photos. I highly recommend it!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. mufasa0505

mufasa0505 DIS Veteran

We did this, too. I was planning on running the 5k but when we pulled up and I saw the island I wanted to get off the ship with my family. We did the bike ride twice; they didn't charge us the second time.

4. Purdue Mouse

Purdue Mouse Mouseketeer

I agree! Our CC day turned out to be too cold to swim so biking still made it a fun day.

5. cbelcdn

cbelcdn Earning My Ears

Do they have chariots or toddler seats so that you may ride with little ones?

6. camtheriot

camtheriot DIS Veteran

I was going to ask the same question. Does anyone know ?? :confused3

7. TinkBell10

TinkBell10 DIS Veteran

I do not recall seeing any. :sad2: The website says that children must be able to ride bikes themselves and must wear helmets. However, it also states that 'child seats are available.' So, although I didn't see them, it may be that I just didn't notice because my kids are old enough to ride themselves.

8. mketting

mketting Mrs. Incredible

We rented bikes on one of our visits and had a great time!! The island is lovely and there is a tower you can climd to get a bird's eye view.

9. Tinkerbell139

Tinkerbell139 Earning My Ears

This is a super idea!

10. mammacaryn

mammacaryn Don't be a JERK!

They have bikes with the toddler seats on them.

11. jaxgatorfamily

jaxgatorfamily Earning My Ears

How fun!!! Do you have to reserve the bikes ahead of time? I think we'll do that instead of the 5K! I have kids with me and was struggling with what to do because the kids club doesn't open until you go to Scuttles Cove when everyone gets off the ship, but then I would miss the start of the 5K! This way, I can share with my kids! What fun! :cool1:

12. TinkBell10

TinkBell10 DIS Veteran

You can reserve them ahead of time (through port adventures), but I never do. There are tons of bikes available, and I've never had a problem securing them upon arriving at CC. I don't like reserving them ahead of time...in case anyone gets sick or doesn't want to ride at the last minute. I do recommend getting of the ship ASAP and doing the bikes first, as it gets pretty hot as the day goes on. It works out perfectly for us to do our ride first....then play on the beach until lunch.

13. mufasa0505

mufasa0505 DIS Veteran

They do have toddler seats. Our two-year old rode along with my husband.