Alternate land border crossing routes?

mamaofsix

DIS Veteran
Anyone driving down soon and having to re-plan their border crossing route? For now we are looking to cross at Port Huron, but wonder how long the wait times are with Windsor/Detroit held up. Recent experiences, anyone?

The last update I had was yesterday late afternoon and it can change. The Detroit/Windsor tunnel was open for cars and had all booths open. Traffic was flowing well with no real delay. The tunnel is used from time to time to transport emergency patients to Detroit. The hope is that the protesters will not seek to close it and risk people's lives. We will see.

As I understand it, there is no problem heading into the US. The delay is coming back into Canada. Also, the tunnel is fine.

The last update I had was yesterday late afternoon and it can change. The Detroit/Windsor tunnel was open for cars and had all booths open. Traffic was flowing well with no real delay. The tunnel is used from time to time to transport emergency patients to Detroit. The hope is that the protesters will not seek to close it and risk people's lives. We will see.

Okay - is the tunnel for cars only? We have an extended accessibility van and the roof height is 9' . . .

Okay - is the tunnel for cars only? We have an extended accessibility van and the roof height is 9' . . .
You will be completely fine with a van. Clearance is 12 8”. That is too small for most transport truck loads. Your length will not be an issue.

Planning to cross at the Peace Bridge on 2/19 for a ski weekend and feel like it's a conundrum - if I don't purchase the lift passes soon they will sell out - but what are the odds that traffic will be flowing smoothly then? Tickets are nonrefundable so it's a gamble.

Planning to cross at the Peace Bridge on 2/19 for a ski weekend and feel like it's a conundrum - if I don't purchase the lift passes soon they will sell out - but what are the odds that traffic will be flowing smoothly then? Tickets are nonrefundable so it's a gamble.
It’s hard to predict but there’s no blockade at the Peace Bridge at this time.

Not yet - though Sarnia was still flowing early in the week, but now it's backed right up, between the Hwy 402 blockade and the traffic being rerouted from Windsor. I think the potential for other border crossings to be impacted is real. The good news is the 402 blockade is set up away from the bridge itself so as to reduce impact to the actual border, and I think there are multiple crossings in the Niagara area, so if one is blocked there may be alternates.

Not yet - though Sarnia was still flowing early in the week, but now it's backed right up, between the Hwy 402 blockade and the traffic being rerouted from Windsor. I think the potential for other border crossings to be impacted is real. The good news is the 402 blockade is set up away from the bridge itself so as to reduce impact to the actual border, and I think there are multiple crossings in the Niagara area, so if one is blocked there may be alternates.
There are three bridges in Niagara ( it’s where I live). They are all within 30 minutes of one another so you would have choices.

I can’t believe this is happening now either between worrying about covid, worrying about the weather, worrying about changing travel guidelines now we have to worry about protests at the border?!? Geez I think we’ve had enough lol. We are crossing on Saturday also Niagara area so I’m comforted that we have three options.

I can’t believe this is happening now either between worrying about covid, worrying about the weather, worrying about changing travel guidelines now we have to worry about protests at the border?!? Geez I think we’ve had enough lol. We are crossing on Saturday also Niagara area so I’m comforted that we have three options.
I completely agree. Just when I thought we had a plan and everything would go off without a hitch . . . another shoe drops.

You can check here for the status of each bridge so that you can choose while you are on your way. It was always accurate for us ( though we haven’t used it a long time).

Good luck and safe travels to you guys. Hopefully it won’t be an issue.

https://www.niagarafallsbridges.com/
Thank you! Very helpful. Hopefully the chatter that they're going to try to blockade every single border crossing is false and we will have a way out by the time we leave in a few weeks.

We crossed over the Lewiston bridge this afternoon at about 1:00 pm and there were zero cars and it took about 30 seconds. All good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter