Alone at Disney with 4 yr old twins. Can it be done?

HeatherT

Earning My Ears
I planned a quick 4 day family trip to Disney over the summer but for reasons I won't bother going into here, my dh has decided not to join us. I have already purchased airfare, tickets to the Christmas party and made reservations for the hotel and both Cindy's and the Candlelight Processional. The only thing left to purchase is our actual park tickets. However, while I've done a lot of things with my four year old twins, I've never taken them somewhere that will be as busy as Disney. I am now considering shortening our trip by one day but I'm not sure if it's even feasible to think I can handle both of them alone. My main concerns are really with the crowds and how to keep them from running off, which my ds likes to do while dd follows, and how to handle it if one child wants to go on a ride while the other one doesn't. My dd tends to be more daring as far as rides go but not daring enough to go on her own and I wouldn't feel comfortable allowing her to ride alone either. I'm sure there have been plenty of single parents out there that have visited Disney but since it's my first attempt at something like this, I'm extremely nervous. Perhaps someone could give me some tips as well as some reassurance that it's actually possible to do, without losing my children or my mind. :crazy:

I went for a long weekend this past Sept 29 through Oct 3 with my 2 DDs ages 6 and 9 and we did just fine. It's doable. I know yours are younger but it's still doable.

We still had a good time even though DH wasn't there. It was a different kind of trip though. We couldn't do as much as we normally do because my younger DD won't go on quite a few rides. I couldn't do parent swap.

Also, when younger DD felt sick one day and was throwing up, I couldn't just leave her and go get some fruit loops; we all had to go. That's the only time I really noticed it would have been helpful for DH to be there but we managed just fine.

You can do it. Are you alone with them during the day anyway? I am so it wasn't really much different, just that we were at WDW!!

Good luck!!

You are going to have a BLAST, don't worry. Remember all the time you are alone with them on a daily basis and how much you get done.

My dd's aren't twins but 20 mos apart and I have been taking them as the solo adult since they were 3 and 5. They are now 9 and 11 and we are still doing a trip a year solo in addition to our regular family vacations and as you can see by my tag we love it. DH dosen't get much time off and due to FF miles and such we take our trip without him.

Bring or rent a double stroller even if you don't use one at home and take it slow. Most of the rides in MK (and WDW in general) without a height restriction are awesome for the 4yo with a few exceptions. Get the WDW guide for kids by kids for a great reference point. FWIW in our family if one really wants to ride we all do (within reason and scare factor) and visa versa. Neither of your kids will be able to ride anything alone as the minimum age is 7 - but I really don't think that will be a problem. Even if you never did a ride - which you will - there are so many shows parades and other things to do.

Try this video series to get your kids excited about the rides - it should help even the more timid one, my dd's LOVED them:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...871262?v=glance&n=130&n=507846&s=dvd&v=glance
You should be able to find them at your local TRU and they also have one for Animal Kingdom and the water parks -

Just think - no cooking, no dishes, no laundry just you and your kids having fun for 4 days!

Sorry so long but if you have specific questions don't hesitate to post or PM -

TJ

Firstly, maybe i missed it but didn't see what they were boys or girls and secondly, I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but I have been there numerous times with my twins (they are 11 soon to be 12) and it is very difficult. Picture this...you are at the mall, at the Christmas holidays, the mall is packed, and they take off in different directions, which way do you go. That sounds bad, but you have to figure on the worst senero. You know how difficult it can be when you take them places well times it by a thousand..Also, it depends on how well they are behaved and if they listen to you when you at home, that makes a big difference.

Sorry but if you knew me, it is like, don't ask me a question if you don't want the truth,lol. Hope this didn't upset you, just wanted to be honest. Actually, when I go with my twins, it can be very challanging. My daughter is going with me this time with her boyfriend that way they can take one and I can take the other, if need be...I am a single parent.

Good luck!!

I think it really depends on their behavior and how much control you have over them. i admit I was concerned when you mentioned they like to run away from you. If that is truly the case, i am not sure I would go. How could you handle something as little as paying for a counter service meal if you can not expect them to stand there beside you.

If you do decide to go I would make strict rule about staying together and inforce them by leaving the park if they run away. Label them well and restrict them to a stroller in crowds. YOu might even want to consider the leashes for really crowded times.

I think it could be done but you need to really ask yourself what you will do in every situation. What about the airport.

Could you take another adult instead of DH?????

Jordnas' mom

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter