ALOHA! The Polynesian Resort Information Thread: September 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahhhhh!!! So we are booked 2nd week in Dec at the Polynesian CL. I really don't want to have our trip affected by major construction and noise and general distruption to the magical experience we are planning and expecting. ;) I just read tikiman's website and it sounds like DVC construction would start over on the GF side of Polynesian, which seems like it would have a minimal impact on the rest of the resort, at least for awhile. What do you guys think? Would you be worried? Is it way too premature for me to even be worrying about this?

I'm also aware from reading these boards that Disney seems to be notorious for starting construction late????

We are thinkin of switching from Lagoon View to Garden View. We really wanted Tahiti, but it may not be done when we check in. Quick question about Tokelau - is the entire building now a lagoon view or is it garden or what they're now calling standard?

TIA!!

I believe there only 2 lagoon view rooms in Tokelau. The rest are standard views.

I read something on another page and it got me thinking- are non Poly guests technically allowed to watch fireworks from the beach? I know pool hopping is frowned upon but this seems like the one thing that goes unnoticed. I don't want to stir the pot but I've always wondered if they ever check room keys??
Nope - everyone is welcome to watch the fireworks from the beach. Do some Poly people complain about it? Yes, however, Disney welcomes anyone and everyone to watch from the beach.

This news is unfortunate, we love the Polynesian the way it is and we too are worried about congestion and overcrowded areas of the Polynesian, Oh well, if there will be a new DVC we most likely wont be staying here anymore.

WOW...just called to see about switching from a lagoon view to a standard view room for our 9/18-9/24 trip and there are NO standard view rooms available! Yikes! Wonder if that means it's going to be crowded or that they'll just be down some rooms due to renovations?! I thought that September was one of the slower months.

Keeping my fingers crossed that Tahiti will be finished by check in. The refurb is to be completed on September 14th....here's hoping they don't run behind! :worried:

WOW...just called to see about switching from a lagoon view to a standard view room for our 9/18-9/24 trip and there are NO standard view rooms available! Yikes! Wonder if that means it's going to be crowded or that they'll just be down some rooms due to renovations?! I thought that September was one of the slower months. :worried:

Actually it just means they don't have availability for those specific start and end dates. If your dates were 9/17-9/23 there might be availability. Tahiti and Rapa Nui are probably not in the currently available inventory for Sep, even though they may be open by the time you get there. I wouldn't worry about it being overly crowded as the room renovations reduce the number of available rooms making the resort less crowded than normal.

Actually it just means they don't have availability for those specific start and end dates. If your dates were 9/17-9/23 there might be availability. Tahiti and Rapa Nui are probably not in the currently available inventory for Sep, even though they may be open by the time you get there. I wouldn't worry about it being overly crowded as the room renovations reduce the number of available rooms making the resort less crowded than normal.

Oooo, thanks. I never stopped to think that the Poly might be less crowded due to the renovations....good point. Thanks! :thumbsup2

Nope - everyone is welcome to watch the fireworks from the beach. Do some Poly people complain about it? Yes, however, Disney welcomes anyone and everyone to watch from the beach.

I heard someone complain about it last time I was there but had never really thought about it until then. The beach does get crowded but not bad considering. We have had our room keys checked at the pool before so I wasn't sure how often they did that- I'm all about enforcing the pool hopping rule! Fireworks I understand though!

I'm glad to read that you think Sheila will be ok--because I am going in early October and was starting to get concerned. :(
I've wanted to stay at the Poly since I was a little girl, and am really looking forward to this!

I am going to keep a close eye on any construction news as I requested Fiji Luau Cove side right where they are putting one of the new buildings for DVC :sad2:

I really think you guys will be okay. Like someone else said, Disney is notorious for starting things a little late. So hopefully you will both be able to enjoy a construction free Poly vacation!! :wizard:

Yep - just keep your eye on things between now and then
. :)

I heard someone complain about it last time I was there but had never really thought about it until then. The beach does get crowded but not bad considering. We have had our room keys checked at the pool before so I wasn't sure how often they did that- I'm all about enforcing the pool hopping rule! Fireworks I understand though!

The thing that bugs me about the fireworks is when non-guests take up all the chairs leaving Poly guests to stand, when they guests have paid for the privilege.

The thing that bugs me about the fireworks is when non-guests take up all the chairs leaving Poly guests to stand, when they guests have paid for the privilege.

Interesting point .... I've planned a couple of dinners at the Poly for my Oct/Nov trip and intend to watch the fireworks from the beach but would never consider taking up a chair!

Interesting point .... I've planned a couple of dinners at the Poly for my Oct/Nov trip and intend to watch the fireworks from the beach but would never consider taking up a chair!

I seem to recall reading about the issuing of wrist bands for fireworks viewing for a very busy time New Yers Eve or July 4th last year but don't remember reading anything about how that worked out.

Makes me wonder if Firework viewing from the Poly Beach will change once DVC is complete as the bungalows & DVC looks as if to take over the one beach area?

This news is unfortunate, we love the Polynesian the way it is and we too are worried about congestion and overcrowded areas of the Polynesian, Oh well, if there will be a new DVC we most likely wont be staying here anymore.

I totally agree, we probably won't stay at Poly anymore either if they do add all those DVCs. :(

So, you see someone sitting on a chair - just curious how do you know if they are a Poly guest just by looking at them? :confused3

Our beef is the people who park in the Poly lot for the day to go to Magic Kingdom, or during the evening to to go Magic Kingdom to watch the fireworks. The last 3 trips we've come back to the Poly late afternoon/early evening and there was no where for us to park - the lot was completely full.

So, you see someone sitting on a chair - just curious how do you know if they are a Poly guest just by looking at them? :confused3

Our beef is the people who park in the Poly lot for the day to go to Magic Kingdom, or during the evening to to go Magic Kingdom to watch the fireworks. The last 3 trips we've come back to the Poly late afternoon/early evening and there was no where for us to park - the lot was completely full.

Their mass exodus to the parking lot/GCH is usually the key. ;)

Guess the construction outlook for our planned January 2014 stay is not looking good. Such a bummer since we so want to stay there this time around, although we will not be able to justify paying the Poly room rate if it might be a construction scene.

Selfishly crossing the fingers that Disney takes their sweet time starting this project...

We are going in Early Oct right after the current renovations are expected to be over...when are they starting DVC Construction?

Thanks!

Self-centered post announcing my recent addition of 3 nights LV/CL to our tri-split stay. After Poly, we ride the Sea Raycer over to CR for 6 nights, then gas it up and head over to WL for 6 nights.

I requested 3rd floor, without a connecting door and then noticed that there is only one LV room in Hawaii on the 3rd floor. It looks to be without a connecting door since it's at the very end furthest from the lounge. It would be just perfect, but odds are against us for getting that one room. Our last two Poly stays we received exactly what we requested, but we weren't CL.

Looking forward to reading more CL reports from those there now or going soon:hyper:

Self-centered post announcing my recent addition of 3 nights LV/CL to our tri-split stay. After Poly, we ride the Sea Raycer over to CR for 6 nights, then gas it up and head over to WL for 6 nights.

I requested 3rd floor, without a connecting door and then noticed that there is only one LV room in Hawaii on the 3rd floor. It looks to be without a connecting door since it's at the very end furthest from the lounge. It would be just perfect, but odds are against us for getting that one room. Our last two Poly stays we received exactly what we requested, but we weren't CL.

Looking forward to reading more CL reports from those there now or going soon:hyper:

Hi KOOK :wave:. Congrats on booking Poly CL. I can't wait to hear what you think of it. We are definitely staying there for 2 nights after our cruise in December and after reading all of the great reviews of CL lately, I am very excited about it :goodvibes. I just hope the DVC construction doesn't start before then as I really want to get 1 more Poly stay in before all of the construction mess begins :rolleyes1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter