ALOHA! The Polynesian Resort Information Thread: October 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aloha! We are at Poly right now, and I am happy to report that -- thanks to great advice from Disboards and Tikiman -- we have had the most perfect time so far on this, our first Disney vacation. We were upgraded from a garden view room to a theme-park view in Tuvalu, room 1406. We have a direct view of the castle and the lagoon. We used the fax number for room requests, a week before check-in, and said the kids would love to see the fireworks from the room, but MAHALO AND ALOHA, we would of course be happy with any of the nice Poly rooms. Presto! Here we are with a perfect view. The room is very nice. Double sink, patio, very clean. (We started the trip with a few nights at AKL lodge, which was fantastic, except for the housekeeping; the AKL room was a bit smelly, and not clean. This Tuvalo room is very neat and fresh by comparison.) By the way, we certainly could hear the construction from our patio today,around mid-afternoon . . . But it was not a big deal, and otherwise we weren't at all aware of any mess or building issues. Oh, and the monorail HAS BEEN running during mid-day, at least whenever we've wanted it.

Ok Poly experts - what is this drink called? Last year, my DH asked the bartender at Ohana to make me something that "tasted like candy" and he gave me this. I LOVED it and wanted to order it again in a few days…
Is it a backscratcher? I am partial to the Lapu Lapu myself...we've been home for a week and I am having Poly withdrawals...

I'm planning a trip to the Poly over DD's (6) Fall Break. Given the construction, I'm super nervous. I'm considering flipping to either the Contemporary or Beach Club, but I REALLY want the Poly. Being that close to MK and having such amazing theming is a real draw.

I don't particularly think the pool at the Contemporary is fantastic (someone tell me I'm wrong). I also really want to be close to MK, otherwise, Beach Club would be a terrific solution.

This Poly construction is driving me bananas.

For what it's worth, I just booked the poly for the last week of August and asked about the construction. I was told that there would not be any pool construction while I was there.

I'm planning a trip to the Poly over DD's (6) Fall Break. Given the construction, I'm super nervous. I'm considering flipping to either the Contemporary or Beach Club, but I REALLY want the Poly. Being that close to MK and having such amazing theming is a real draw.

I don't particularly think the pool at the Contemporary is fantastic (someone tell me I'm wrong). I also really want to be close to MK, otherwise, Beach Club would be a terrific solution.

This Poly construction is driving me bananas.

For what it's worth, I just booked the poly for the last week of August and asked about the construction. I was told that there would not be any pool construction while I was there.

Tikiman had it confirmed that they pushed the pool construction to August, just when in August was unclear

Who did you ask? If it was someone at the Walt Disney Travel Company I would not consider it reliable.

Who did you ask? If it was someone at the Walt Disney Travel Company I would not consider it reliable.

Not sure, it was the number on the WDW website. She put me on hold to call over to the polynesian to confirm. I booked five days at the BC and three at the Poly. I guess I'll just keep an eye on it and switch if I have too. Never been to the Poly, hope it works out.

Not sure, it was the number on the WDW website. She put me on hold to call over to the polynesian to confirm. I booked five days at the BC and three at the Poly. I guess I'll just keep an eye on it and switch if I have too. Never been to the Poly, hope it works out.

Tikiman has confirmed that pool construction has been "pushed to August." Hopefully, this translates to August 31st or September 1st. We booked 8 days at YC but would prefer a split stay; 4 at Poly, 4 at YC. The minute I learn more about a specific date, etc., regarding the pool, I am changing my ressie. Poly is awesome. Hope it works out for the both of us!

Tikiman has confirmed that pool construction has been "pushed to August." Hopefully, this translates to August 31st or September 1st. We booked 8 days at YC but would prefer a split stay; 4 at Poly, 4 at YC. The minute I learn more about a specific date, etc., regarding the pool, I am changing my ressie. Poly is awesome. Hope it works out for the both of us!

When we booked months ago for our upcoming March trip, we panicked and switched from Poly to CR because of the uncertainty of the pool construction. I have a touch of buyer's remorse now! :) To be clear though - I would never complain about any trip that includes a Disney resort! :lmao:

When we booked months ago for our upcoming March trip, we panicked and switched from Poly to CR because of the uncertainty of the pool construction. I have a touch of buyer's remorse now! :) To be clear though - I would never complain about any trip that includes a Disney resort! :lmao:

I totally understand. We have the Poly for April and was wondering on changing to CR but nobody wanted to change, but now the pool will be open! Glad I didn't change now but then I drove myself crazy!!! Keep checking and see if you can switch back.

I took a picture of the Castle from the walkway directly in front of the Hawaii concierge lounge which I will post shortly.
Have you posted this picture? I am very interested in seeing what that area looks like with the construction going on.

Have you posted this picture? I am very interested in seeing what that area looks like with the construction going on.

Thanks for the reminder. I took this picture from the walkway immediately in front of the Hawaii building where the Concierge lounge is. You can just make out the castle across the lagoon, slightly to the left of the pile driver.

1601011_10202591735622015_342472376_n.jpg

Thanks for the reminder. I took this picture from the walkway immediately in front of the Hawaii building where the Concierge lounge is. You can just make out the castle across the lagoon, slightly to the left of the pile driver.

1601011_10202591735622015_342472376_n.jpg
Thank you very much for posting the picture! The area looks better than I thought it would.

th_1601011_10202591735622015_342472376_n.jpg

This shows obstructive view of the castle.. how tall are the bungalows going to be?
I thought i read they were going to be more towards Sunset point???

This shows obstructive view of the castle.. how tall are the bungalows going to be?
I thought i read they were going to be more towards Sunset point???

They are around what use to be Sunset Pointe.

bungalows01.jpg

They are around what use to be Sunset Pointe.

bungalows01.jpg

Wait I'm confused... I thought the construction on the lagoon was for the DVC buildings? Are the bungalows the DVC buildings? (Or is the DVC going to be in the old Tahiti building area?)

Ok Poly experts - what is this drink called? Last year, my DH asked the bartender at Ohana to make me something that "tasted like candy" and he gave me this. I LOVED it and wanted to order it again in a few days…

f0bc5204-1431-454a-97a2-640d8502d13c.png

I am pretty sure that is the Tropical Macaw!!!

Wait I'm confused... I thought the construction on the lagoon was for the DVC buildings? Are the bungalows the DVC buildings? (Or is the DVC going to be in the old Tahiti building area?)

Both

The bungalows are the Grand Villas and Tahiti and Rapa Nui will be converted to DVC also.

Yeah but if those black squares are greater than 1 story tall (ala GF and WL's DVC buildings) it will destroy the view of the lagoon from Hawaii, let alone destroy the view of the fireworks from the beach (or maybe that's the intention...)

I'm looking at staying at the Poly around NYE to catch the fireworks but it's hard to make any decision based upon the construction (will the GCH be in the midst of being gutted? Will the pool be closed? Will there be giant cranes in front of the beach? Will there be giant buildings in front of the beach?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter